RE:Earliest flight from Houston

ooulio

Your going to have just as many tell you it is ok as not! You have to be at the ticket counter an hour before flight time or you won't get on. You will get off the ship somewhere between 8am and noon. You should go with whatever the cruise line tells you is the recommended times. If you want to take a chance good luck. Galveston is known for it's fog delays.:D

Your going to have just as many tell you it is ok as not! You have to be at the ticket counter an hour before flight time or you won't get on. You will get off the ship somewhere between 8am and noon. You should go with whatever the cruise line tells you is the recommended times. If you want to take a chance good luck. Galveston is known for it's fog delays.:D

If you are flying Southwest out of Hobby, you can go online while onboard the ship and check in 24 hours ahead of flight time, and print out your boarding pass. You do not have to be at the ticket counter 1 hour ahead of time. You just have to be checked in at least one hour before which you do the day before! There is an express line for people that have boarding passes in hand to check their luggage so the wait is very minimal. Plus if you have special needs they let you go through a short line for security too. I fly out of Hobby airport ALL the time as does my entire family!

Coming back to Galveston port on January 8th on the Mariner of the Seas. Will I run into fog during this time? I need to book my Southwest plane tickets out of Houston Hobby airport. Two departure times 1:15 or 3:30 pm. I'm leaning towards 1:15 pm with the early self disembark. I'm just worried about the fog situation people have talked about. Any comments are welcome!!!:confused:

Coming back to Galveston port on January 8th on the Mariner of the Seas. Will I run into fog during this time? I need to book my Southwest plane tickets out of Houston Hobby airport. Two departure times 1:15 or 3:30 pm. I'm leaning towards 1:15 pm with the early self disembark. I'm just worried about the fog situation people have talked about. Any comments are welcome!!!:confused:

Yes, fog is possible. However, I wouldn't worry too much. Think you should have a less than 10% chance of having a problem. I'd take those chances and book the earlier flight. If your lucky is anything like mine and you book the later flight, it will be a crystal clear day and you'll end up sitting around Hobby! :D:):p

If you have fog

probably neither times are good ones!

Everything is relative to the nature and extent of any cicumstance!

You can not predict mother nature...........

whether it be fog, ice, snow, hurricanes,

tornados, earthquakes, floods, volcanic ash and any kind of storm.

If you are going to crusie, there can be complications at any time of some nature!!!!!!!

Fog can be a problem with every port in the world.

Make your plans!

Buy insurance!

Enjoy your cruise!

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

If you have fog

probably neither times are good ones!

Everything is relative to the nature and extent of any cicumstance!

You can not predict mother nature...........

whether it be fog, ice, snow, hurricanes,

tornados, earthquakes, floods, volcanic ash and any kind of storm.

If you are going to crusie, there can be complications at any time of some nature!!!!!!!

Fog can be a problem with every port in the world.

Make your plans!

Buy insurance!

Enjoy your cruise!

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

That all sounds good, except, some ports i.e. New Orleans are not affected by fog, they go when you can't see 10 feet. For those of us from the Galveston area know, Galveston shuts down when the fog rolls in, some cruises last year were delayed for 6-8-10 hours. They don't travel out of Galveston the way most posts do. Has to do with the channel and flow of traffic.:p

That all sounds good, except, some ports i.e. New Orleans are not affected by fog, they go when you can't see 10 feet. For those of us from the Galveston area know, Galveston shuts down when the fog rolls in, some cruises last year were delayed for 6-8-10 hours. They don't travel out of Galveston the way most posts do. Has to do with the channel and flow of traffic.:p

Who are you mad at? Why stick your tongue out????:rolleyes:

Are you trying to say New Orleans has never had a complication of any kind?

If you are going to crusie,

there can be complications at any time of some nature anywhere in the world!!!!!!!

Fog or no fog!

Customs may not show up on time!!!!

Ft Lauderdale!! We missed our flights.

Airline Traffic Controller Strike - London!!!!

Lisbon - Flights had to be changed to get out of Europe!

Weather may not let ships into destination ports!!!!!!

Vocanic ash all over Europe!!!!!

Snow and Ice in the Northeast!!!!!!!!

Make your plans!

Buy insurance!

And

Enjoy your cruise!:D

• 3 weeks later...
If you are flying Southwest out of Hobby, you can go online while onboard the ship and check in 24 hours ahead of flight time, and print out your boarding pass. You do not have to be at the ticket counter 1 hour ahead of time. You just have to be checked in at least one hour before which you do the day before! There is an express line for people that have boarding passes in hand to check their luggage so the wait is very minimal. Plus if you have special needs they let you go through a short line for security too. I fly out of Hobby airport ALL the time as does my entire family!

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just want to make sure I can find this response again easily. This is good to know!

Cruising in Feb. 2012 This is the hardest cruise I have ever had to put together in all the cruises I have done.

It's funny because I keep doing searches and finding you complaining about the same problems I'm running into as well. :p I hope it will all be worth it in the end!!

Who are you mad at? Why stick your tongue out????:rolleyes:

Are you trying to say New Orleans has never had a complication of any kind?

If you are going to crusie,

there can be complications at any time of some nature anywhere in the world!!!!!!!

Fog or no fog!

Customs may not show up on time!!!!

Ft Lauderdale!! We missed our flights.

Airline Traffic Controller Strike - London!!!!

Lisbon - Flights had to be changed to get out of Europe!

weather may not let ships into destination ports!!!!!!

Vocanic ash all over Europe!!!!!

Snow and Ice in the Northeast!!!!!!!!

Make your plans!

Buy insurance!

And

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Not mad at anybody, don't have time for it. Having been a lifelong resident of that part of Texas and being both a boat owner (out of Clear Lake) and a cruise passenger I will say that fog is a bigger problem in Galveston than most any other US cruise port. For many reasons ships are restricted in their travel both in and out of Galveston. The ship channel is a large part of that.

I will say New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New York and Boston all have very few delays for weather. If there was one port that I would not try very tight flight arrangements, Galveston would be the one. Lot's of folks are enchanted with the expensive tourist dining choices in Galveston and I think it's great for those that want that. It's good for the economy and the locals love it. Transportation and choice for dining are very limited for those that chose Galveston. For those that are driving it is a great choice. Once off the island there are many choices and options.:D:D:D

Weather is an issue everywhere and must be contended with but does not need to ruin a vacation.

No fog in San Francisco??

Rough seas in the Bahamas keep many a ship from tendering, same in Caymans.

I too have been boat owner and Igrew up and spent a great portion of my life on the seas -not cruise ships, U.S. Merchant Marine - and fog is no worse in Galveston than other ports as well as other weather conditions.

BTW, the Mississippi is extremely treacherous to navigate and is regularly affected by fog near the mouth. Have also been rerouted flying into N.O. due to severe weather, same in Orlando. Weather happens:rolleyes:

FYI: There are many dining opportunities in Galveston that are very reasonable. As any city, depends on how much one wants to spend.

Don't know what your idea of expensive is, but Galveston is no higher than anywhere else. We have a lot of great restaurants and choices from white table cloth to fast food.

I agree that transportation is a problem and is something that needs to be resolved asap.

Archived