The Champagne Pour

janacin

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what Princess could substitute for the much heralded "Champagne Pour" on first formal night?

The champagne waterfall on Princess has been a tradition as far back as I can remember. I don't think you are going to see it disappear anytime soon. ;)

so please can someone explain what this is, is it something passengers take part in? how does it work

thanks...........first time princess cruiser

they set up a table in the atrium/Piazza area and build a tower of champagne glasses. Then the Maitre'd takes passengers to the top of a set of stairs and helps them to pour cheap sparkling wine so that it cascades down the glasses - just like a waterfall.

Anyone can have a go, and of course your picture will be taken so that you can buy a memento of the event.

so please can someone explain what this is, is it something passengers take part in? how does it work

thanks...........first time princess cruiser

On formal nights (I believe the first one) they set up a Champaign Glass water fall and everyone who wants, may go to the top and pour Champaign into the glasses. Basically a great photo op!

DSC01066.jpg

To get rid of a Princess tradition like this would be like getting rid of the Flaming Baked Alaska Parade on the final night.

Princess just wouldn't be Princess without it IMHO! We were on Carnival Pride last winter and no champaign waterfall and no baked alaska! Carnvial vs Princess. Again IMHO

thanks for the replies and quick to!! do you get to drink the champagne or is it just for fun?

Yes, they cme round with glasses of it. You can have as many as you want until they run out, but believe me, you wont really want more than one, unless you like asti.

Yes, they cme round with glasses of it. You can have as many as you want until they run out, but believe me, you wont really want more than one, unless you like asti.

I love Asti, and the stuff in those glasses is definitely not Asti, but more of a very cheap (even cheaper than Asti) type of sparkling wine or the cheapest form of some type of champagne.

Edited by Toto2Kansas

I too think the champagne pour is fun to watch. Can't wait to see it on the Golden for my birthday!! :D It is just fun and I think it makes formal night even more fun. Like anything else, if it isn't your thing that is ok, the ship is big enough that one can do something else. :D:p

Maybe I am understanding the OP as asking if the "free" pour of Champagne could be substituted by something other than the "cheap champagne". Not can the actual "Champagne Waterfall" be substituted. Will the OP please clarify?

I might add, that I like the charm of the Champagne Waterfall but, what I don't like is Princess now doing it early evening instead of later in the evening.

We're with Toto - Asti can be delicious and we love champagne (Hi Dave!) but the stuff they use is vile .... is it Korbel? We're surprised they get away with mis-naming it in the way they do! We remember the days when not only was it late evening, with streamers and dancing, but you got Crepes Suzettes on the side .....

However, we've also seen one fall over ....... which of course may be why the OP talks of replacing it, perhaps in the name of elfin safety ........?

Ibrasu

Maybe I am understanding the OP as asking if the "free" pour of Champagne could be substituted by something other than the "cheap champagne". Not can the actual "Champagne Waterfall" be substituted. Will the OP please clarify?

I might add, that I like the charm of the Champagne Waterfall but, what I don't like is Princess now doing it early evening instead of later in the evening.

If this happens to be the case, then the answer would be champagne is all that is offered at the champagne water fall, you can't get other complimentary drinks such as are offered at the past passenger party. Champagne is all that is offered!

We're with Toto - Asti can be delicious and we love champagne (Hi Dave!) but the stuff they use is vile .... is it Korbel? We're surprised they get away with mis-naming it in the way they do! We remember the days when not only was it late evening, with streamers and dancing, but you got Crepes Suzettes on the side .....

However, we've also seen one fall over ....... which of course may be why the OP talks of replacing it, perhaps in the name of elfin safety ........?

Ibrasu

Hi Ibrasu :)

I was just thinking back to our last cruise, they were wheeling boxes out labelled 'Asti Spumante'. I know its not Korbel they use (which I actually quite like, but no comparison to a Dom or Clicot of course).

I suppose my dislike for Asti is probaly when I have had it in the past it was not too cold, so maybe I'll have to freeze a bottle and try it again :)

I can't imagine the stuff at the 'waterfall' would be very nice after sitting around in pre-poured glasses for a while.

Hi All

Baked Alaska , now its only a shadow of itself it needs to go

or be re invented

yours Shogun

You are so right. I hadn't been on a cruise for a couple of years and then last year saw those LED lights. Very lame.