Travellers Cheques

sherkston

We are heading out on the Aug 2 Nautica - Venice to Barcelona - making stops in Corfu, Split, numerous ports in Italy & France, Monte Carlo and ending in Barcelona. Sadly it's been far too long since I've travelled in Europe and I'm not current on access to currency while overseas.

Question is - I've heard it's becoming increasingly difficult to cash traveller cheques due to counterfeit activity - that even most European banks won't touch them. Is that true ?- I really don't want to carry that much in cash? Also are ATM's readily accessible, that accept international bank cards, particularly Canadian bank cards.

That has seemed to be the case. It's not so easy here either these days!

We just go to an ATM with our DEBIT card (not a credit card, the fees are outrageous for a cash advance) and take out euros there.

In terms of ATMS, look for those that take Maestro, I think -- and I've never seen one that doesn't. Look on the back of your card and you should see the logos for the outfits that accept the card. Then look for an ATM that has the same symbol.

I would be very surprised if there is a problem with a Canadian bank!

Mura

You are correct. Travellers' checks are no longer a good way to carry funds. Many places refuse to take them.

ATMs are the best way to get cash abroad. They are readily available most anywhere. Just make sure that your ATM card has a 4 digit PIN. 6 digit PINs will not work in most places.

We use our debit card also

Check your daily withdrawal limit & notify your bank when you are travelling to

sometimes one ATM will not work so just try another bank name ATM

Lyn

Also, if your ATM (debit) card has a letter PIN (as ours do), be sure to look at the keypad at home before you depart to translate those four letters into numbers because European ATM's have numbers on them and no letters.

ATM cards have worked great for us all over the world. Only on one occasion, however, did my husband's card not work for some reason, despite the fact we informed his bank of our travel plans and tried different bank ATMs while in Germany. Thankfully, we had a different bank card from my account at home with us which was from a different bank that operates through a different company listed on the back of the card. This one worked! Once we left Germany my husband's card was OK.If you can, it's a good idea from this personal experience to have backup with two different ATM cards functioning from 2 different companies.I guess another backup plan for obtaining cash is getting an advance through your AE card, or have a cash advance charged to your room bill, although I've never done it. Just ideas....Have a wonderful cruise!

Just an FYI for travelers to Japan: if your DEBIT card is a Mastercard, it will only work at the ATMs in post offices. It will not work in 7-11 ATMs (they are on almost every street corner, I'm not kidding!) or in most bank ATMs . At least that's what we discovered last year when we were in Japan. Not sure if anything has changed in the interim.

Re the comment of obtaining cash by charging it to your room account onboard: is there a daily limit or a cruise limit or ??? Is a fee charged?

Re the comment of obtaining cash by charging it to your room account onboard: is there a daily limit or a cruise limit or ??? Is a fee charged?

Here's your answer. : Cash advances are available at the Reception Desk. A daily limit of $500 per registered card can be billed to the guest's shipboard account. A 5% transaction fee will be applied to your account.

Not the cheapest way by any means, but in an emergency, good to have available.

Another thought for obtaining cash in an emergency situation, would be pre and post cruise. You could possibly charge an amount to your room on your credit card. I believe AE allows this. Again, I have not done this and am not aware of any charges that be incurred.

Here's your answer. : Cash advances are available at the Reception Desk. A daily limit of $500 per registered card can be billed to the guest's shipboard account. A 5% transaction fee will be applied to your account.

Not the cheapest way by any means, but in an emergency, good to have available.

thanks for the info!!!

Archived