good quality luggage?

just G

One of my first jobs (high school) was as a salesgirl in a local, high-end luggage store. There are three brand I would recommend, based on your taste. Tumi is fantastic--go for the ballistic nylon. Near to indestructible. Sometimes it is on sale on websites like gilt and rue la la. Second choice would be Hartmann. Totally classic, and classy. Their brown tweed is iconic and tough tough tough. Sometimes their stuff pops on the same websites I mentioned before. Finally, I would recommend French--again, iconic. The floral tapestry is elegant without Louis Vuitton showiness (which also in my opinion screams "Steal me!"). These are all fairly expensive options, but they will LAST, I promise you.

I have to say that I agree with dottyparka. TravelPro didn't last very long for me, and when I went to Macy's and asked which brands had the fewest complaints, the immediate answer was Tumi and Hartmann. My Tumi pieces wear like iron. I do have a Samsonite hard-side that I also swear by, especially for a checked piece. It was dented a while back, but otherwise is just fine. I never worry about the contents when it's out of my sight.

One thing to consider is whether you intend to check the bag or carry it on. What you might want to wheel onboard yourself may well not be what you would want to hand over to baggage handlers.

DH & I bought an inexpensive hard shell set by Travelers Choice 6 years ago. We use them about 4 times per year and have had absolutely no issues with them *knock on wood* They're silver, so they're pretty easy to spot & if they get dirty, you can just wash them off :) I'll never go back to fabric luggage!

I had a lovely new Travelpro when I went to China in 2007. I got it at Tuesday Morning but it was still well over $200. One of the airlines or porters at a hotel managed to rip the end handle practically off - since you need that for tags etc, I felt obligated to buy a new cheap replacement in Hong Kong as we still had more flights to Bangkok etc. I mentioned it to a salesman in our local luggage store and he told me that Travelpro had a problem with the handles on my model and if I sent it back they'd replace it - too bad it was left in Hong Kong, so no deal! We later bought a pair of Dockers 24 inchers with spinner wheels for $250 each. First my husband's on one trip, and then mine on a later journey, lost a complete wheel assembly. Even my always present duct tape can't fix those problems, though it does a great job on rips and broken zippers to get you home. We tend to feel lucky if our luggage gets off the plane unscathed, but I'm always looking out for the next bargain just in case.

I second the suggestion of TUMI. My roll aboard has over 60K miles on it this year alone, and still looks new. They really do back up their product--they repaired a admittedly abused briefcase that was 10 years old and did so for free--when I fully expected to pay for the repair.

If you don't want to spend that much (and I don't blame you if you only travel once or twice a year) I'd go with Travel Pro. JC Penney has it on sale half price right now.

I myself have used several brands of Luggage and I have found Briggs & Riley worth every penny or should I say Dollar I paid, they will repair anything to do with their luggage even if the airlines did it or the cruise company or yourself. You do not have to pay for shipping as long as you take it to a store that sells them.

Happy luggage shopping...................

I've had a couple of Travel Pro Lite Walkabout cases for years. They are very lightweight and handle abuse well. Bag will get scuffed by baggage handling but these hold up well. Had a handle break two years ago. Took it to the local TravelPro repair center (nearby shoe repair store) and it was fixed free of charge no questions asked. The same for my son's identical bag that had a broken handle and a bent collapsing handle. Even with the damage the bags were still useable for the rest of each of our trips. The only non warranty repair was for a much older TravelPro wheeled garment bag that my son now uses. The wheels literally wore off but the replacement cost was reasonable. My two bags will probably last me for the next 10+ years of retired cruising after a hard work life. Tumi and Hartman just do not provide the value for the money for casual travelers and the lightweight bags I have are full to the brim before I hit 50 lbs. Just my two cents worth. All of the bags were purchased for 40%-50% off on sale.

...haven't seen any mentions of the Rick Steves luggage, we have two of the 21" rollers and they've proven to be the most durable luggage sets we've ever had. They've survived cruise line shore porters, airport porters and baggage handlers, taxi drivers throwing them in and out of vans, all the cobblestones we've dragged them over in Europe along with being dragged up and down all the bridge steps of Venice. They're light and quite expandable and after five years of hard and faithful use they're still going strong, no visible damage, the handles are all solid, wheels still in good shape and the zippers all as good as new. Can't ask for much more than that from a set of luggage that only cost us a couple hundred bucks...

cheers,

the Imagineers

We have always purchased Hartman or Tumi but replaced them about two years ago with some lighter weight luggage because of the new airline restrictions. At the suggestion of some friends, we tried Delsey and have been very pleased. They are light weight and seem to hold up under the assault of the uncaring handlers just as well. These new bags have been on over 10 trips so far, including 3 tours were they handled almost daily.

While they don't have the "bank vault" appearance of Tumi, they hold up just as well. Wish we had discovered them earlier.

Kent

We have always purchased Hartman or Tumi but replaced them about two years ago with some lighter weight luggage because of the new airline restrictions. At the suggestion of some friends, we tried Delsey and have been very pleased. They are light weight and seem to hold up under the assault of the uncaring handlers just as well. These new bags have been on over 10 trips so far, including 3 tours were they handled almost daily.

While they don't have the "bank vault" appearance of Tumi, they hold up just as well. Wish we had discovered them earlier.

Kent

My TUMI weighs three pounds empty.

I always enjoy these luggage threads. It seems there are generally two schools of thought on luggage, 1) it's all going to get torn up so just buy cheap stuff and replace as needed, and 2), buying quality pieces is the only way to go.

I have a feeling the same attitudes are exhibited on most consumer goods that most of us buy, whether it's furniture, clothing, cars, etc. We personally prefer to spend more and get better quality whenever feasible. Of course spending more doesn't always guarantee getting better quality.

There are quite a few factors to keep in mind in your decision, how often you travel, whether you carry on, or check your luggage, or a combination, your comfort level with spending on items, etc.

Over the years I've found what works for us in our travels. I'll try to put together what I've learned. I'm sure I'll repeat some advice already posted.

1. As has been previously stated make sure you know the empty weight. This is becoming more and more important with the airline restrictions. Try to get luggage as light as possible yet still somewhat sturdy.

2. For flying, anything over a 26" is probably too big, my 26" can easily carry 60 to 70 lbs if expanded. I always try to keep it right at 48. Also make sure your carry on is not too big.

3. Make sure that whatever you buy either rolls or attaches to something that rolls. Spinners are also a bonus.

4. Make sure your carry on piece has at least one outside pocket that you can access easily for travel documents.

5. Make your luggage distinctive, whether it's the original color or something you add to it such as ribbon, neon handle covers, neon luggage tag, strap, stickers, etc.

6. Take out about 75% of the crap that comes with luggage(those shoe bags, dirty clothes bags, toiletry holders, and other little niceties) and store them somewhere, occasionally they come in handy but most of the time they just add weight and bulk.

7. Determine what your needs are and buy luggage that matches them.

I personally use a 26" Travelpro Platinum that has entirely too many zippers and compartments. But overall I like the way it works and it is very sturdy. I've had it about 7 years and it's still in very good shape. I use a fairly inexpensive Olympia 21" carry on which is laid out perfectly. The quality is a little weak on the handle but since I'm the only one that uses it it's working fine so far.

When what I have wears out I'll get what my wife has, a 26" Rimowa, which I see no one has mentioned on this thread. It is some of the lightest luggage available and the wheels are such good quality that it practically rolls itself. Easily as expensive as Tumi, Hartmann or Briggs & Riley but worth every penny.

I personally like luggage and always like to look at it in the stores. It reminds me of going somewhere. ;)

I travel all the time and bought Briggs & Riley luggage years ago. It holds up to evrything thrown at it and if there is an issue, not matter what the cause, it is guaranteed for life. One of my cases was damaged by the airlines. I sent it back to Briggs and received it back within 2 weeks looking like new.

Having had luggage get beat up for a number of years, I went to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and got an old-time hard-sided piece of luggage that continues to serve me well. It can be carried on or checked and the price can not be beat. I don't get compliments on my luggage, but I always see it at baggage claim.

I was looking at Helium Breeze 3.0 has anyone used these before? I like the design of them but not sure if it's worth the money for the little amount of travel we do (1-2 airport trips per year and 2 by car).

My daughter's luggage is Helium Breeze. She's taken it on several cruises, on a 14-day university choir tour of the Baltic states, and other trips as well. It's held up well and is lightweight.

A three pound Tumi must be a pretty small one. Unfortunately, to make a large bag structurally strong, it adds weight.

I no longer worry about good luggage, even on business trips. For longer trips I've been using a large rolling duffle I got at Target on sale for $30, for shorter ones I'm still using pieces of a set I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $40 five years ago. After about the second or third trip I figure I was on the profit side of the equation. There's always more cheap stuff to be had when I need to replace it.

I had Ciao luggage and it lasted for a LONG time, maybe 8 years or so. I just picked out some new luggage to buy from Travelers Club, it's very inexpensive. I got the 3 piece set from Kmart for $50.

Sorry, but I don't consider eight years to be "long lasting." A quality peiece of luggage should give you 20 years or more. I have friends who have Halliburton and TUMI luggage that have seen over a million miles and are 30 years old and still in good shape. Yes there are small dents and scuffs, but they are in better condition than most of the bags I see on the carousel. My TUMI is about seven years old and has 150K or so miles on it, and is still like new.

A three pound Tumi must be a pretty small one. Unfortunately, to make a large bag structurally strong, it adds weight.

It's a 20" roll on made of ballistic nylon.

I no longer worry about good luggage, even on business trips. For longer trips I've been using a large rolling duffle I got at Target on sale for $30, for shorter ones I'm still using pieces of a set I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $40 five years ago. After about the second or third trip I figure I was on the profit side of the equation. There's always more cheap stuff to be had when I need to replace it.

I'd rather buy good luggage that will last 20 years than ahve to shop for new luggage every year. I've gone the cheap luggage route and had to replace every 6-12 months. Doing the math, spending the cash on a good piece of luggage was well worth the initial outlay.

It's a 20" roll on made of ballistic nylon.

I'd rather buy good luggage that will last 20 years than ahve to shop for new luggage every year. I've gone the cheap luggage route and had to replace every 6-12 months. Doing the math, spending the cash on a good piece of luggage was well worth the initial outlay.

I'll be the first to admit that, like changing my wardrobe, I like to change suitcases occasionally too! I buy mid-priced luggage that will last as long as I want it to, but not so much I feel guilty when I want a change. I have travel pro and ebags duffle, plus some older samsonite. They all still have lots of life left in them! When I'm really tired of them, I donate to Salvation Army or Goodwill.

I'll be the first to admit that, like changing my wardrobe, I like to change suitcases occasionally too! I buy mid-priced luggage that will last as long as I want it to, but not so much I feel guilty when I want a change. I have travel pro and ebags duffle, plus some older samsonite. They all still have lots of life left in them! When I'm really tired of them, I donate to Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Different strokes I guess. :) I tend to buy clothes with a classic design and wear them until they are rags. I'm not a shopper, and that goes for both clothing and luggage.

Holy cow, you must really be hard on stuff. Even the cheapest junk I've bought has lasted for a couple of years, and I travel a lot for work.

Holy cow, you must really be hard on stuff. Even the cheapest junk I've bought has lasted for a couple of years, and I travel a lot for work.

Nope--a lot of cheap luggage is just really poor quality.

My TUMI is seven years old and like new. I paid about $260 for it on sale. If I had bought a cheap $30 suitcase and replaced it every nine months, I would have spent about $280 at this point, and be ready for another suitcase before the end of the year. After the 20 years I should get out of the TUMI, I would ahve spent three times as much on cheap luggage.

I'm not sure how much you travel for work, but I do 2-3 trips a month.

• 2 weeks later...
My first set of luggage was Samsonite. Then when my husband started traveling with me, he got American Tourister (close in design to Samsonite). Not as expensive as some of the other brands mentioned, but I got only 5 years out of the American Tourister Luggage, but 10 years out of the Samonsite.

With the way luggage is handled these days, I just go with the cheapest I can find now. Couldn't even tell you the brand name. I check out Ross, TJMax, and Burlington Coat factory. Just bought a new 22" carry on at Burlington for $40. With the airline signs now saying softsided luggage is not guaranteed, I went with a hardsided case. I travel a couple of times a year, I don't expect my luggage to last a long time, so I don't want to invest a lot of money into it. Bought my daughter a 22" duffle bag at Marshall's for $12.00.

It's whatever you are comfortable spending, but know that it may not last any longer than what you have had in the past. Good luck!

I have had American Tourister for 13 years now and it has been through the mill :eek: by airlines, etc. It still looks perfectt :)! American Tourister is put out by Samsonite. Before that, I had Samsonite that lasted years.

I use Travel Pro ( carry on ) and samsonite luggage I different sizes. They have many many miles and years and are still top shape. There are also levels of quality within a brand

Important advice from the claim expert at an airline compagny DO NOT BUY LUGGAGE THAT LOOKS EXPENSIVE. The first one to get stolen...

I used to manage a chain of Luggage and Travel stores. I have a set of Andiamo and Tumi Luggage and I can say that quality is the way to go. I have been all over the world with my Andiamo for 15 years and I have never had a problem. And because not many people have that brand of luggage I always know it on the conveyor belt, even though it is black ballistic nylon. If you only travel once or twice a year and only want a few years of worth from your luggage, then by all means go the less expensive route.... but there is something to be said about a good quality piece of luggage for the die hard travelers :)

Archived