good quality luggage?

just G

I am hoping that someone can recommend some good quality luggage that is reasonably priced. It seems like every two to three years we are replacing ours and I just want to buy something that will last.

I actually looked on consumer Reports, but they don't rate luggage (odd, huh?)

Thanks for your help.

One of my first jobs (high school) was as a salesgirl in a local, high-end luggage store. There are three brand I would recommend, based on your taste. Tumi is fantastic--go for the ballistic nylon. Near to indestructible. Sometimes it is on sale on websites like gilt and rue la la. Second choice would be Hartmann. Totally classic, and classy. Their brown tweed is iconic and tough tough tough. Sometimes their stuff pops on the same websites I mentioned before. Finally, I would recommend French--again, iconic. The floral tapestry is elegant without Louis Vuitton showiness (which also in my opinion screams "Steal me!"). These are all fairly expensive options, but they will LAST, I promise you.

As a contrarian point of view to Dotty (sorry Dotty) if you only travel once or twice a year, new luggage designed for eternity is not really necessary. The way that luggage is handled by the travel industry, even the quality brands like Tumi, Hartman, Delsey, etc, can and will be damaged frequently. Although some of the higher end luggage will provide free repairs (I believe that Hartman and Tumi do), cheaper luggage will probably be better.

Look for something lightweight. Most newer luggage is weighing in at about 4 to 7 pounds. So that has to be taken into consideration with weight limits on planes.

We have a couple of older models in unusual colors for checked bags and two "gym bag" sized carryone. We expect to replace the checked bags about every two to three years so we spend maybe $70 for them (usually at Ross)

As a contrarian point of view to Dotty (sorry Dotty) if you only travel once or twice a year, new luggage designed for eternity is not really necessary. The way that luggage is handled by the travel industry, even the quality brands like Tumi, Hartman, Delsey, etc, can and will be damaged frequently. Although some of the higher end luggage will provide free repairs (I believe that Hartman and Tumi do), cheaper luggage will probably be better.

Look for something lightweight. Most newer luggage is weighing in at about 4 to 7 pounds. So that has to be taken into consideration with weight limits on planes.

We have a couple of older models in unusual colors for checked bags and two "gym bag" sized carryone. We expect to replace the checked bags about every two to three years so we spend maybe $70 for them (usually at Ross)

I have to agree with the damage to high end luggage as well. While I love my large ballistic nylon Tumi bag, unfortunately the handle somehow popped out and was damaged on my last flight. I intend to check with Tumi for a repair, free or not. On the other hand, the bag is heavy even when empty (I've been surprised not to have gone over the weight limit), and my smaller piece of luggage and carryon (also Tumi) is much easier to travel with.

My favorite carryon, providing a good twenty years of service, is a pretty blue bag made by Atlantic. I would still enjoy using it, but my DH has since gifted me with the Tumi bags. How about Samsonite- they use elephants in their ads, don't they? :)

I suggest TravelPro....My old Airline Issued carryon regulation size is still in great shape. I purchased larger TravelPro suitcases for cruising (ballistic nylon) and they are doing well, no scratches, wheels still attached!!! (We take 2 to 3 trips a year with them)

Good Luck!

We are always buying new luggage. We just bought two smaller carry ons (Zero Halliburton) last week.

The Tumi ballistic is great - cheap it ain't. Hartman tweed is only good for a road/train trip now. The tweed will last forever but it's waaaaay too heavy for air travel. They have introduced ballistics which are much lighter. They are on the pricy side too. I haven't seen the French brand for years. We had some over 20 years ago.

The above brands are all on the high side and have better warranty protection than more modestly priced luggage but there are plenty of decent brands at more reasonable price points.

We've bought luggage from EBags, Irvs, Mori, Macy's and on and on. Stores like Macy's run sales all of the time. Sometimes they are true values and sometimes not. Every now and then a store like Tuesday Morning or T J Maxx will have a great find, even Tumi. Most of the on line sellers have reader reviews and they can be helpful too.

Look for three things, weight and dimension, good zippers, and interior storage systems.

It'll drive you crazy so I wish you good luck.

We have used Samsonite products for the past 7 years, 15 cruises, and countless plane trips....not a rip or damaged wheel or handle to report...yet. When I look at some of the pricing of Tumi, I could replace my Samsonite's 3 times before I reached the price of a Tumi.

I suggest TravelPro....My old Airline Issued carryon regulation size is still in great shape. I purchased larger TravelPro suitcases for cruising (ballistic nylon) and they are doing well, no scratches, wheels still attached!!! (We take 2 to 3 trips a year with them)

Good Luck!

I agree.

We also primarily use TravelPro and have been pleased with it. It is medium priced and I think provides a very nice balance in terms of durability and price.

Keith

I am also a travelpro fan, however I have recently purchased 2 rolling duffle bag style suitcases from ebags.com that are easier to pack. The larger check sized: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-junior-25-wheeled-duffel/125548?productid=1325228 and for a roll aboard, I got this one: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?productid=837488

They are lightweight, take up less room when storing and are very durable. I also like how they are organized for separate packing compartments.

My first set of luggage was Samsonite. Then when my husband started traveling with me, he got American Tourister (close in design to Samsonite). Not as expensive as some of the other brands mentioned, but I got only 5 years out of the American Tourister Luggage, but 10 years out of the Samonsite.

With the way luggage is handled these days, I just go with the cheapest I can find now. Couldn't even tell you the brand name. I check out Ross, TJMax, and Burlington Coat factory. Just bought a new 22" carry on at Burlington for $40. With the airline signs now saying softsided luggage is not guaranteed, I went with a hardsided case. I travel a couple of times a year, I don't expect my luggage to last a long time, so I don't want to invest a lot of money into it. Bought my daughter a 22" duffle bag at Marshall's for $12.00.

It's whatever you are comfortable spending, but know that it may not last any longer than what you have had in the past. Good luck!

I have to agree with the damage to high end luggage as well. While I love my large ballistic nylon Tumi bag, unfortunately the handle somehow popped out and was damaged on my last flight. I intend to check with Tumi for a repair, free or not.

I also wouldn't recommend Tumi for the casual traveler, just because of its cost, but I have a couple Tumi bags that are still going strong 20 years later and lots of travel.

A tip; don't take them back to the Tumi store(if you have one in your area) to be shipped to Tumi for repair; you'll have to pay shipping that way. When I need a repair, and it's always been free, I take mine to Nordstrom and they ship them off. Bags are then shipped back to my home when they are fixed.

- I've purchased a few good pieces of luggage on clearance from Macys. I guess I'm just a mainsteam girl. Fun to get a $200 piece of luggage marked down to $100 and then a 30% off all clearance in the store and then get the additional discount for the coupon in the Sunday paper. This is one of the benefits of living a few miles from a major mall - you can do treasure hunting on sale days.

- About 5-8 years ago, when I went to unpack on the ship, I noticed that the frame on my luggage was bent. I have no idea whether this happened on the plane or the ship. I showed my cabin steward and he took it someplace on the ship to be fixed. I am still using that luggage.

- My son had an expensive piece of luggage given to him as a present by a well to do friend of ours. The telescoping handle got stuck in the closed position. The luggage company denied responsibility and they were correct that it was not a manufacturing defect and they just offered him a discount off a new piece of luggage (that he could get cheaper on sale in a store).

I also wouldn't recommend Tumi for the casual traveler, just because of its cost, but I have a couple Tumi bags that are still going strong 20 years later and lots of travel.

A tip; don't take them back to the Tumi store(if you have one in your area) to be shipped to Tumi for repair; you'll have to pay shipping that way. When I need a repair, and it's always been free, I take mine to Nordstrom and they ship them off. Bags are then shipped back to my home when they are fixed.

I'm hoping my Tumi bag can resume traveling soon, once I check into having the handle repaired. Thank you for the above tip! And EGG, we've always shopped at Macy's for luggage on sale. I hope they can assist with our repair issue. ;)

Unless the luggage is made of steel I would go with the cheap or mid range price luggage. The baggage handlers don't care how much you pay for your luggage they treat it all the same way, rough. Unless you use your luggage for other than vacations that use flight I wouldn't waiste money on expensive luggae.

I saw one couple with army duffle bags tagged and they had no problem with it getting there and back so go figure.

Sharon I

<snip>

Great Tip. Thanks.

We never travel with really pricey luggage. It begs to be stolen and is often too heavy for airline use.

If I were going to steal a suitcase off the luggage carousel, I probably would look for the expensive looking one with hopes the contents would also be valuable.

I personally love the giant rolling Adventure duffle bags that L.L. Bean makes. They come in a few sizes but I have the biggest one. The largest one will run you about $100. My bag is about 3 years old and has taken around 25 flights plus a few weekend road trips with me. It is hot pink plaid and super easy to find at the baggage claim. I can spot it the second it hits the conveyor belt. There are a variety of obnoxiously bright patterns and colors to choose from. My favorite part is that once you empty the bag it folds completely flat and you can shove it under the bed. This is especially nice in small hotel rooms or cruise ships where storage space is minimal

My last set of bags were bought because I wanted quality and a different color. Got American Tourister in an odd shade of Army Green. This was back when overweight luggage was an extra $25 and 2 bags were free.

While they have held up well, my next set will probably be Delsey or another that is really lightweight empty. I have never used my larger bag (28 inch) because I know that filling it will put it over 50 lbs. My 25-26 inch bag is hard enough to keep the weight down.

When you shop for luggage, find out what the empty weight is. For some bizarre reason, many retailers don't think this is information that is important to us. My big bag is 11 lbs empty and my 22 inch carry on is 9.

:eek:

My $100 4 piece set that I bought at Target many years ago is still in perfect condition. It has been used more times than I can count between long vacations, short weekend trips, and packing to bring our son to college. I would never spend a lot of money for a set of luggage when this one has held up so well.

Great Tip. Thanks.

We never travel with really pricey luggage. It begs to be stolen and is often too heavy for airline use.

If I were going to steal a suitcase off the luggage carousel, I probably would look for the expensive looking one with hopes the contents would also be valuable.

I swear by my Hartmann tweed luggage. Heavy, yes. Indestructible-so far. My 50" mobile traveler garment bag has flown more miles in the last 4 years than most people fly in a lifetime. AND it has been in and out of more helicopters to some pretty strange places than I can count. You guys think the airline baggage handlers are rough-you ought to see the military in Iraq and Afghanistan. I saw my bag fly out of a helo about 6 feet off the ground. A little dusty and dirty but still intact. I was sure the wheels were going to break off but they are just fine.

I just don't understand what people pack in luggage that is so darn heavy. This bag holds enough clothes for 2 weeks (without washing) including a complete set of dress clothes with heels and 7-8 pairs of Levis and Dockers. I am rarely more than 50 pounds and I don't weigh before I get to the airport.

I'll stick with my expensive luggage. I have seen so much luggage moved by the military that is put in black garbage bags to keep the contents inside. If it will hold up to the abuse overseas in a war zone, think how long it will last for just vacations.

Archived