What to do in Santa Barbara

I thought I found an irresistible itinerary when I saw Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and Seattle (in that order) on a Princess cruise in May. At first glance, it is almost perfect. But when I started looking at things to do in Santa Barbara, I wondered how I am supposed to do anything there before 10:00 on a Sunday morning. The ship - Sapphire Princess - docks there at 7:00. It seems like everything opens at 9 or 10 in SB and the water is still cold before then, so I don't want to start that day on a beach. Any suggestions?

That is a tender port, so it is unlikely you will off the ship sooner than 8:30 or so unless you book an early tour.

Sundays are great in Santa Barbara. One of my favorite things to do is to walk along the Main Beach area (just south of the pier) where they have an arts and crafts market every Sunday. Technically it doesn't start until 10AM, but often the artists are setting up and willing to talk and even make sales earlier than that.

You can also go to the Santa Barbara Mission. It opens at 9AM for tours. It is called the Queen of the California Missions for a reason...it is beautiful, and you can go to mass there even if you are not Catholic.

If you want something a little athletic, rent a bike or peddled surrey, which is a good way to see a lot of the city and beach areas. They rent bikes at the Fess Parker hotel (right across the street from the hotel). They open at 9AM. Their State Street location opens at 8AM.

Here are some additional ideas: http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/Visitor/Things/Waterfront/

I was also going to suggest the Mission.

The gal that the Island of the Blue Dolphins is written about is buried here.

Good quick read with good information of what the Natives went thru with the Russian fur traders and Catholic Missionaries.

I was also going to suggest the Mission.

The gal that the Island of the Blue Dolphins is written about is buried here.

Good quick read with good information of what the Natives went thru with the Russian fur traders and Catholic Missionaries.

Oh my goodness! I loved that book when I was a girl! I used to spend hours pretending I was her. We will most certainly go to see her grave when we are there in November.

Is the Mission within walking distance of the pier?

It's a couple of miles away, and I'm pretty sure they tender not dock in SB.

Not too far away from the Mission is also the museum of natural history (which I loved as a kid), and a few miles further up the road is the Botanical Gardens (local plants/fauna -- not a flowery show); although the Botanical Gardens are still recovering from the Jesusita fire a couple of years back

We spent our wedding night in 1999 at the Santa Barbara Inn. I would imagine there must be a plaque or something there by now, but I'd get there early to avoid the crowds. It is a nice town. Just plan on relaxing, walking along the beach, seeing the mission. Why worry about it? You can certainly find Web sites with the city's attractions, in addition to whatever the cruiseline provides. Hope you get some nice views of the Channel Islands on the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the Mission within walking distance of the pier?

There is a shuttle(25 cents per person) that takes you from the Pier to within a half mile of the Mission. It runs up and down State Street.

Waterfront shuttle runs from the pier to the SB Zoo and to the Harbor. Brophy's (at the Harbor) is a good place for fish and chips/fresh fish.

http://www.sbmtd.gov/maps-and-schedules/waterfront-shuttle.htmlThe

Edited by carol459

* Walk up and down State St. for the shops and restaurants

* Visit the Zoo (maybe walkable or take a cab)

* Have breakfast at the original Sambo's restaurant

* There is a bird refuge near the Zoo

* Stroll the Sunday Art fair

* If movies are your thing, see if you can catch something at The Arlington for the Mission-meets-Deco ambiance and the village and stars inside the auditorium

* Have a "Farm Cake" (like a black bottom cupcake) at Pierre Lafond

* The best ice cream EVER is at McConnells at 201 W. Mission (cab required)

Oh, and yes - we have no pier so you will be tendering.

Edited by fridayeyes

Oh, and yes - we have no pier so you will be tendering.

You will be tendering and there is too a pier right at the end of State St. with restaurants and a smattering of shops plus a maritime museum.

Rick

You will be tendering and there is too a pier right at the end of State St. with restaurants and a smattering of shops plus a maritime museum.

Rick

*laughing* Very well - we have no *cruise ship* pier. There is indeed a tourist-type pier which is quite enjoyable. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You'll actually tender to our harbor, which is separated from Stearn's Wharf (our pier) by about 1/2 a mile. The shuttle along the waterfront for 25 cents is a good deal, and then you can take another shuttle up State St. (the main street of Santa Barbara) for shopping, bars, restaurants, etc. Another option, that has been mentioned previously, is the Art Walk, held on Sundays. If you enjoy a peaceful stroll with local art, this is hard to beat. If you want to sight-see, the Mission, our Courthouse (no really, it's beautiful if you take the stairs to the top) and the zoo are all good bets. In fact, if you wanted a fantastic photo of the ship with Santa Barbara, it's hard to imagine a better location to take it than the Courthouse tower on a clear day.

Finally, if you like wine, there are a few winery tasting rooms two blocks from the pier, as well as a tasting room on the pier. I can't vouch for them, but it's part of the "Urban Wine Trail". If you have the time, request a Visitor's Guide from the Santa Barbara Conference and Visitor's Bureau (I know for a fact the staff is very helpful if you give them an idea of what you're looking for).

Oh, there was a very large line the first time Princess tendered over, and while I'm sure they don't want to leave anybody, don't be late to line up for returning to the ship. The ship uses its lifeboats as tenders (unlike more popular ports like Cabo San Lucas which have their own tenders) so it takes a little while to get back and forth.

I thought I found an irresistible itinerary when I saw Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and Seattle (in that order) on a Princess cruise in May. At first glance, it is almost perfect. But when I started looking at things to do in Santa Barbara, I wondered how I am supposed to do anything there before 10:00 on a Sunday morning. The ship - Sapphire Princess - docks there at 7:00. It seems like everything opens at 9 or 10 in SB and the water is still cold before then, so I don't want to start that day on a beach. Any suggestions?

Are you on the May 12, 2012 Sapphire cruise? If so, click o n the link to the Roll Call in my signature. We have a very active group!:cool:

Yes, most things do open at 9 or 10am, but there is still plenty to do before that time. You can rent a bike or surrey from Wheel Fun Rentals (www.wheelfunrentalssb.com) beginning at 8am. They are located on the corner of Cabrillo Blvd. and State St. across the street from Stearns Wharf. This is just a short walk from where your boat tenders at the harbor. You can also enjoy breakfast with an ocean view at the original Sambo’s, also on Cabrillo Blvd. and a short walk from the harbor or at Moby Dick’s on Stearns Wharf. You can also go on a nice walk along Cabrillo Blvd. and take in all the beautiful views, including those at Shoreline Park, Stearns Wharf and the Andree Clark Bird Refuge. You can pick up a map at the hospitality desk.

• 3 months later...
we will be there Easter Sunday, will the arts and crafts show be open?

Should be open, only rain cancels.

Had done a diy whale watching tour? Any detail would be appreciated.

Whale tours:

http://www.condorcruises.com/

http://www.captainjackstours.com/rates.html?gclid=COfJ6OenxK0CFQduhwodPkfgAQ#whalewatching

Rick