11:35am flight out of FLL- is that a no?

ehough

It seems the general consensus is that a flight before noon is too risky. But it seems our flight options are 11:35, or 6:50pm. The 6:50 seems less than ideal- we would get home late, even if we're on time, Not to mention having to find something to do all day.

Is 11:35 doable, you think, or is it too risky? We're on the Westerdam, and this would be a Sunday.

Unless something out of the ordinary happens, 1130am flights are usually fine for FLL from Port Everglades. Just make sure you are in the earlier groups for debarkation. Not sure if HAL does the carry off your own luggage program to get off earlier, but I see you have 2 young kids so that might not be very practical anyway.

It seems the general consensus is that a flight before noon is too risky. But it seems our flight options are 11:35, or 6:50pm. The 6:50 seems less than ideal- we would get home late, even if we're on time, Not to mention having to find something to do all day.

Is 11:35 doable, you think, or is it too risky? We're on the Westerdam, and this would be a Sunday.

I'm debating about that one, too. (I assume it's the United/Continental flight?) I was waiting until today for Southwest's new fare block to come out, and it's quite a bit more expensive than United. Unless something changes with Southwest, I'll probably have to go with the 11:35 flight and hope there aren't any delays because it's United's only non-stop return flight that day.

I would definitely go for the earlier flight, especially given the later one is so much later! If you self-disembark with your own luggage, you can grab a taxi and be at the airport in plenty of time, I think. I know I would rather be waiting at the airport, safely through security, than staying on the ship and taking a risk of leaving it too late.

Remember other ships will be there with you, namely Allure of the Seas with her 6000 passengers. Many of them will be going to FLL with you.

I would not book a return flight before 11 am, so I think the 11:35 is quite do-able. :)

That's the one, elycelynne!

We did self debark on our last cruise and our kids were even littler then, so that doesn't scare us. We will make do. It's easier for us to keep our luggage (and diapers, wipes, toys, etc) with us than be stuck without it after midnight.

That's the one, elycelynne!

We did self debark on our last cruise and our kids were even littler then, so that doesn't scare us. We will make do. It's easier for us to keep our luggage (and diapers, wipes, toys, etc) with us than be stuck without it after midnight.

I suppose it would be perfectly doable for me being that I'm only one person. I might not even need self-debarkation. Or maybe I could even take advantage of HAL's option where for an additional fee they check you in for your flight and take care of getting your luggage boarded, so all you have to do is go through security and then pick up your luggage after you land.

I didn't even see the 6:50 p.m. option on United's website. I wonder if it's sold out already?

Oh, I misspoke, it's 6:40. But that's on American, and is slightly more than the United flight. We have already booked our flight in, on Southwest so out of Midway, but the return flights are just not going down, to the point of considering flying back in to O'Hare!

FLL is a whopping 10 minutes by cab from Port Everglades. As long as you are off the ship and clear of customs by 9:15 or so you should be in line to check in by 9:30 -- plenty early enough for an 11:35 AM flight.

Good luck! :)

We have had a flight befor 09:00, but that was doing self walk off and from the Oasis (or Allure) since they are the first to dock due to the number of passengers. I believe we were in the airport sitting at our gate at 7:15 or so.

We were on other ships that didn't start self walk off as early and still would have made an 11:30 flight. You just need to be one of the first ones off, grab a cab as soon as you get off, and 15 minutes later you're standing at the counter at the airport.

Good luck!

I'm so glad I found this thread...I'm looking at a 12:00 flight out of FLL on a Sunday and was being advised that I shouldn't book a flight earlier than 12:30. On all other cruises, I've always been at the airport by 11:00 at the latest. This thread made me feel much more confident :)

Thank you everyone for the help- much appreciated. We booked the 11:35 this morning!

I just did the same for my January departure. Somehow I don't see Southwest accommodating me by drastically lowering their high prices!

I just did the same for my January departure. Somehow I don't see Southwest accommodating me by drastically lowering their high prices!

We've never had a problem with a flight at that time. We always fly Southwest. If the price goes down, just change it and SWA will keep the excess in a travel fund for use at a later date. Check their site often. :D

We've never had a problem with a flight at that time. We always fly Southwest. If the price goes down, just change it and SWA will keep the excess in a travel fund for use at a later date. Check their site often. :D

I guess I didn't make it clear -- I booked United flights (operated by Continental) because it was $135 cheaper than Southwest, and I didn't want to play the waiting game (most likely a losing one) with Southwest's prices.

How much luggage will you be taking? The offset for us to book SOUTHWEST is the no/charge for luggage and early bird check in. I wish I could pack less and get everything in a carry on and 1 piece of luggage. I keep trying, but to no avail :((

Sherri

I guess I didn't make it clear -- I booked United flights (operated by Continental) because it was $135 cheaper than Southwest, and I didn't want to play the waiting game (most likely a losing one) with Southwest's prices.

I also wanted to book Southwest (my preferred choice), but for the flights I'm looking at, they are more than $200 more than AirTran, and the AirTran flights are at a much more convenient time. My first instinct is always Southwest, but this time, even after adding in baggage fees on AirTran and shuttle fees from Miami to Fort Laurderdale, the AirTran flight is still cheaper. I'm torn...normally Southwest is a no brainer, but not this time :(

So far I've only flown with Southwest, which I know is in the same terminal as United. This time I'm going to be returning on a United flight that's operated by Continental, so I was wondering if Continental is located in that same terminal or if it's elsewhere?

It's clear now. Maybe someone else can use my info. I enjoy the "game" and my "winnings" have saved me hundreds $:D

Archived