Norwegian fjords compared to Alaska

We've sailed Alaska 3x now (and LOVE it) but are considering doing a cruise through the Norwegian fjords next summer. I'm looking for someone who has sailed both and can tell me if they think they are very similar in nature or does the fjords cruise have a totally different feel? Also, does going from Bergen clear up to Honningsvag begin to blur together or are the different fjords and towns visited different enough that each is memorable in its own right?

Thanks!

I love Alaska and Norway. I think the fjords, water falls, and pastoral views in Norway are better than Alaska, and the mountains and glaciers are better in Alaska (although, the mountains in the Lofoten Islands are the most beautiful I have ever seen). I've done Alaska by cruise and land, and in Norway it was a car/plane trip from Oslo to the Lofoten Islands with many short ferry rides (no overnight cruise).

We did Norway first, and I was concerned that Alaska would be disappointing afterwards, so I spent a lot of thought during and after that trip comparing the two. They are very different.

To me, cruising Alaska seemed to focus predominantly on nature and glaciers. There is typically lots of wildlife spotting, and the high points of scenic cruising are the tidewater glaciers. Alaska struck me as a land of ice and wilderness.

Norway, on the other hand is very green, and much more populated. The scenery is spectacular, but the glaciers receded ages ago, leaving behind lush green hills and waterfalls. The steepness and narrowness of the Norwegian fjords are much more extreme than most of Alaska, and the areas are all populated (sparsely). The tiny wooden farm houses and summer cabins along the shore or perched precariously over-looking the fjords are part of the charm. You won't see much wildlife at all, but the scenery is still worth the trip.

I think it's definitely worth seeing both, but expect more differences than similarities!

We did Norway first, and I was concerned that Alaska would be disappointing afterwards, so I spent a lot of thought during and after that trip comparing the two. They are very different.

To me, cruising Alaska seemed to focus predominantly on nature and glaciers. There is typically lots of wildlife spotting, and the high points of scenic cruising are the tidewater glaciers. Alaska struck me as a land of ice and wilderness.

Norway, on the other hand is very green, and much more populated. The scenery is spectacular, but the glaciers receded ages ago, leaving behind lush green hills and waterfalls. The steepness and narrowness of the Norwegian fjords are much more extreme than most of Alaska, and the areas are all populated (sparsely). The tiny wooden farm houses and summer cabins along the shore or perched precariously over-looking the fjords are part of the charm. You won't see much wildlife at all, but the scenery is still worth the trip.

I think it's definitely worth seeing both, but expect more differences than similarities!

Agreed... Very nicely summed-up. We did Alaska first; and that was our 'spur' to 'do' the Norwegian Fjords. Each stop/town has it's own 'flavour' so you won't be disappointed. There's no risk of 'sameness' !

If I had to choose just one or the other to do again; overall I think it would have to be... Norway...

I agree as well. Norwegian Fjords are more spectacular but there are no glaciers. Chilean Fjords are more like Alaskan ones.

We do enjoy visiting Norway and its Fjords (have been there the past two years) but do find it hard to compare with Alaska. There is nothing in Noway to compare with Alaskan places like Glacier Bay, but there is nothing in Norway to compare with the views as you cruise through the Granger Fjord. Unfortunately, most cruises do not go through the Granger although its possible to get there if you have a long port day in Alesund.

Bottom line is that Alaska and Norway and very different and both have many gorgeous places.

Hank

Also, does going from Bergen clear up to Honningsvag begin to blur together or are the different fjords and towns visited different enough that each is memorable in its own right?

Sorry, I missed the last question in my earlier response!

If anything, I'd say that sailing farther north will provide more variety, and the scenery will actually start to blur if you stay in fjord country for too long! If you see Geirangerfjord, you have seen the best of the fjords and can truly appreciate it. I've found that the longer I spend in the fjords, sadly the more I start to take them for granted, so I would suggest a maximum of two fjord-oriented ports. Use the rest of the time to sail farther up the coast and see the scenery change.

The Lofoten Islands are incredible if you find a cruise that calls at Gravdal or Leknes. The mountains fall straight down to the sea with tiny fishing huts built along the narrow shorelines. The cities each have their own character (I like Bergen and Tromsø best, but Stavanger and Trondheim have their charms). And Honningsvag has yet a different landscape that has a more Arctic tundra feel to it.

And if you feel more adventurous, you can sail up to Svalbard and experience a true taste of the Arctic! It's a fascinating place all on its own!

Very well said--I agree completely!

I had the reverse experience - sailed Alaska first (twice) and thought..."What could top this?" but always had my eye on the Norwegian itineraries. We only did the Southern part of Norway-the fjords. I'd choose an intinerary that includes at the very least one town where you sail into the fjords - Geiranger, Olden (we did these two) or Flam and then include the North, if you can.

I'd go back to either in a heartbeat but if if I had to choose (and had the $ for airfare) I'd say Norway because it's so green, quaint & the scenery up so close to the ship.

We do enjoy visiting Norway and its Fjords (have been there the past two years) but do find it hard to compare with Alaska. There is nothing in Noway to compare with Alaskan places like Glacier Bay, but there is nothing in Norway to compare with the views as you cruise through the Granger Fjord. Unfortunately, most cruises do not go through the Granger although its possible to get there if you have a long port day in Alesund.

Bottom line is that Alaska and Norway and very different and both have many gorgeous places.

Hank

Hank -- some of us on the July 31 cruise have been hoping to hear about your experience in Aalesund. Did you make the drive to the Geirangerfjord, and if so, how did it go? (Sorry, Zelker, I don't mean to high-jack your post, but we have tried to reach Hlitner on the ports forum to no avail. :o)

Meg, Hank and others have made excellent summaries and comments. We have not yet, been to Alaska. From various friends who have, the impression I get is that the difference in Norway is that you are closer to the "drama" and seeing things "up close and personal". That's what we experienced and enjoyed last July in Norway, in its fjords, along its coasts, etc. There are a wide variety of cities along that coast. We did three different independent trips for just the four of us with rental cars. Going all of the way up to the North Cape was well worth it for us.

You can see lots more from the live/blog postings that I did last summer. Below are a few samples of my visuals for what we saw there in Norway.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 23,925 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,258 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoton Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Zelker -- We have been to Alaska twice and are off to Norway in two days. I will be glad to report my impressions as soon as we return.

Terry in Ohio -- Your photos are just beautiful, and as I mentioned previously, I have your photos to thank for helping convince my husband to take this upcoming trip.

Hank -- still would love to hear about your drive in Aalesund.

Happy travels to all!

Melissa

Zelker -- We have been to Alaska twice and are off to Norway in two days. I will be glad to report my impressions as soon as we return. Happy travels to all! Melissa

Melissa -

That would be great! Which cruise are you doing?

Safe travels. :)

Barb

Terry in Ohio -- Your photos are just beautiful, and as I mentioned previously, I have your photos to thank for helping convince my husband to take this upcoming trip. Melissa

Appreciate your nice comments, Melissa. Look forward hearing how it all goes and hopefully getting that "commission check" from your husband.

THANKS! Enjoy your cruise! Terry in Ohio

Hank -- some of us on the July 31 cruise have been hoping to hear about your experience in Aalesund. Did you make the drive to the Geirangerfjord, and if so, how did it go? (Sorry, Zelker, I don't mean to high-jack your post, but we have tried to reach Hlitner on the ports forum to no avail. :o)

Guess I have just been too darn lazy to post anything about that day. In a word the day was "perfect." We walked from the pier to the rental car place (its a 7-11) in about 10-15 min and picked-up our small car. Having our own GPS was a real benefit (I did not notice any rental units) since it was helpful in getting out of Alesund and on our way. The long driving trip involved two short ferries and the much longer ferry on the Geirangerfjord. That particular fjord is just stunning and is like being inside a canyon. When we arrived at the end of the fjord at Geiranger the Crystal Serenity was sitting there in all her grandeur (it is a beautiful ship). The road from Geiranger lived up to its reputation with amazing views from high above the town of Geiranger. The only planning aspect of the drive is trying to time your arrival at Hellisylt (where we got the ferry) so that you arrive about 30 min before the scheduled ferry departure time. We were able to park our car in the queue for the ferry and walk over to a nearby snack bar to grab a drink and use the rest rooms.

When we finally returned to Alesund around 4, DW and I were just all smiles. This was truly the highlight of our entire 56 day trip and if we ever return to Alesund we will do exactly the same thing! By the way, it did get quite chilly on the fjord so its wise to bring an extra layer of outerware if its a cool day.

Not sure if you are also going to Molde, but this also turned out to be a very fun day (we had also been there last year). We had a beautiful day and DW and I decided to hike up the hill to the top. This turned out to be nearly a 2 hour hike since DW has a bad knee and needed frequent breaks. When we finally reached the restaurant at the top, the view of Molde and region made it worth while. We had decided to call a taxi for a ride back down to Molde (DW has an easier time hiking up...but going down is tough on her knee) but a local lady (having coffee at the restaurant) offered to drive us back to Molde. She gave us a little driving tour around some of the residential areas which just added to the excellent day. Many folks do this hike round trip, and if you are a fast hiker it probably takes about 2 1/2 hours to complete the entire hike.

Hank

Barb -- We are leaving Friday for Copenhagen where we'll board the Holland America Eurodam for a 12 day cruise -- Norway plus Scottish Highlands. Can't wait !! I promise I'll report when we come back. Thanks again for excusing me from taking your post a bit off topic.

Hank -- You made my day! :) I am so excited about our drive in Aalesund, and you've confirmed that it will all work and be just as beautiful as imagined. I have the maps and ferry schedules, and our car comes with a GPS so we'll take our jackets be all set. Thanks so very much for your report and tips.

Melissa

Our first Fjordexpereince was the south island of New Zealand. Spectacular but virtually no evidence of human habitation except in Milford Sound.

Have since taken 2 Alaska cruises and loved those. Earlier this monthe we went to Norway for the first time and it was very different again. Lots of farms on the lower slopes made the views beautiful. Geiranger is the must see.

Norway fjords are very different from Alaska, we found them to be more beautiful, somber, spectacular, especially when the ship sails inside, between the mountains.

And yes, every stop was different, and you don't get tired of watching.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Barb!

I'm back from Norway and reporting in as promised. Norway was nothing short of spectacular! It has a very different feel than Alaska. I completely agree with kaiatsu's comments posted above. While both places are pristine and beautiful, Alaska, to me, has the rough and tumble feel of the wilderness. Norway, as Terry's photos illustrate, is greener and has charming houses and villages that look....well, Scandinavian! Our cruise only went to Oslo, Kristiansand, Bergen and Aalesund, before crossing over to Scotland, so I can't address your question about whether several fjord stops would begin to blur and have a sameness. I can tell you, though, that after our taste of Norway, I can't wait to go back and do one of the all-Norway itineraries. We intend to do one of the Norway in a Nutshell itineraries when we return, and if I had it to do over, I'd allow time for that before or after the cruise. My descriptions aren't very articulate, but hope that helps!

Melissa

I'm back from Norway and reporting in as promised. Norway was nothing short of spectacular! It has a very different feel than Alaska. I completely agree with kaiatsu's comments posted above. While both places are pristine and beautiful, Alaska, to me, has the rough and tumble feel of the wilderness. Norway, as Terry's photos illustrate, is greener and has charming houses and villages that look....well, Scandinavian! Our cruise only went to Oslo, Kristiansand, Bergen and Aalesund, before crossing over to Scotland, so I can't address your question about whether several fjord stops would begin to blur and have a sameness. I can tell you, though, that after our taste of Norway, I can't wait to go back and do one of the all-Norway itineraries. We intend to do one of the Norway in a Nutshell itineraries when we return, and if I had it to do over, I'd allow time for that before or after the cruise. My descriptions aren't very articulate, but hope that helps! Melissa

Appreciate, Melissa, the follow-up and success report from your Norway trip. Agree that seeing those various houses, farms and villages along these fjords and coasts is fascinating.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at over 30,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 48,520 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here's a nice farm view along one of Norway's great fjord.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

HI Barb!

I'm back from Norway and reporting in as promised. Norway was nothing short of spectacular! It has a very different feel than Alaska. I completely agree with kaiatsu's comments posted above. While both places are pristine and beautiful, Alaska, to me, has the rough and tumble feel of the wilderness. Norway, as Terry's photos illustrate, is greener and has charming houses and villages that look....well, Scandinavian! Our cruise only went to Oslo, Kristiansand, Bergen and Aalesund, before crossing over to Scotland, so I can't address your question about whether several fjord stops would begin to blur and have a sameness. I can tell you, though, that after our taste of Norway, I can't wait to go back and do one of the all-Norway itineraries. We intend to do one of the Norway in a Nutshell itineraries when we return, and if I had it to do over, I'd allow time for that before or after the cruise. My descriptions aren't very articulate, but hope that helps!

Melissa

Hi, Melissa. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks so much for following up with your thoughts on comparing the two. It sounds like we still need to keep this part of the world on our short list for next year. :) Barb

Thanks, Hank! The rental car drive from Aalesund was the highlight of our trip. We are grateful for your help. I aspire to making a trip as long as yours one day! :)

Melissa

We agree about that drive being a highlight (or our trip too). Just wish I could remember all the kind folks here who helped us plan that wonderful day. We found it very strange that our cruise ship did not offer any excursion option that duplicated our driving trip. Having been to Alesund a couple of times we thought that the drive was the "no brainer" trip of the day! We had quite a few folks on our cruise who were curious about our plans but said they were afraid of doing anything on their own (the only way to do this trip). Hopefully some of the cruise lines will see this thread and offer an excursion for the other folks in future years.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We have done both Alaska and the Norwegian fjords. Alaska is grand but distant. I loved the fjords as they were closer to you and there was so much colour in the most of the towns.

If you get the chance to include a trip to Lofoten islands, jump at it. As others have said the scenery is magnificent and the shape of the mountains unlike any I have seen before. We docked near Leknes and took the trip down to "A" going past the beautiful beach that is on one of TLCOhio's posts.

Andalsnes is a pretty little town surrounded by mountains and you can take a trip on the Roma train, not many cruise ships call in but it is worth it.

We agree about that drive being a highlight (or our trip too). Just wish I could remember all the kind folks here who helped us plan that wonderful day. We found it very strange that our cruise ship did not offer any excursion option that duplicated our driving trip. Having been to Alesund a couple of times we thought that the drive was the "no brainer" trip of the day! We had quite a few folks on our cruise who were curious about our plans but said they were afraid of doing anything on their own (the only way to do this trip). Hopefully some of the cruise lines will see this thread and offer an excursion for the other folks in future years.

Hank

Reading these post makes me want to go back . We also rented a car two times with some folks we met at dinner, and had a wonderful day both times.

There is no more beautiful place in the world. JMO.:)

Archived