weather in nov in europe

jamarone

We have taken 3 TA's at that time of year. The weather is in the low 60's during the day and lower at night. A fall/ spring jacket is ideal and dress in layers. It is ideal for sightseeing.

We live south of Barcelona; the weather in the Med is completely unpredictable at that time of year and often has magnificent thunderstorms. We are taking a Solstice cruise in November and will be prepared for all eventualities, certainly the ability to layer clothes in Northern Italy and a light waterproof garment are recommended. For Venice I am seriously considering taking our wellies!

We've done a variety of Med cruises four of the past five years (one out of Venice, one from Barcelona, two from Rome) over Thanksgiving week.

For weather, late November is unpredictable. We've had really good weather, but I'm fair-haired, fair-skinned and from the upper Midwest so my concept of "good" may not be the same as yours :D

First - in general - realize that the further west and north you are the cooler it will likely be and the incidence of overcast or wet weather will also be higher.

In Rome and to the south in Italy, we've generally had 60-70s for daytime temps, higher 70s and even some lower 80s in Naples and/or Sicily. In Greece we've had mid-60s to mid-70s. Venice and Florence and Croatia more high 50-60s. Southern Spain and southern France generally were 60s - and generally what I describe as "mostly cloudy".

Also, November is a time when winds from the south are more likely - this means that Venice is more likely to have areas flooded than some other times of year.

It will not really be beach weather anywhere in the Med. The on-board pools will get some use, but will never really be busy. We used our balconey on a regular basis, but even we choose our times out on the balconey wisely. Most of the routes stay close enough to land so the seas are generally not too rough, but in more open areas of the seas it will be a bit choppier than during the summer months.

The ports and attractions are all pretty much open their regular hours -- but will be much less "packed". We are early birds and we've discovered that we've had some places all to ourselves -- I have uncropped photos of places like the church square in Oia Santorini, the library in Ephasis, and temples and houses in Pompeii with no one else there. We were in Athens the November 2009 and hit the Acropolis between the am and pm ship's excrusions -- there were no more than 15 to 20 other people there. Restraunts are less crowed. It is also the end of the tourist season, so some of the prices are a bit better than during "high" season.

Our weather recently in the UK has been dire and someone on our forum who is in the UK now has refered to it as being like winter in Florida ! It has been 16 degrees mid July.

I know that this is the UK but having been in Italy mid August at 16 degrees in th pouring rain I'd make sure that I was prepared for cold weather in November. If it is warm then you will be very lucky !

Yes, the weather will be pleasant, or cold and unpleasant. My little joke. We did the E Med out of Rome Nov 09 and stayed onboard for the Dec 09 TA. We had great wx throughout the E Med, rainy and cold back in Rome/Florence, beautiful in the rest of the W Med, and nice crossing.

We are going to the UK in Aug, and right now, the temps look like low 60's day and 40/50's at night - in August! Looking forward to it and buy myself a nice Scottish wool sweater. I don't worry about the temp too much, just hope the rain doesn't cut back on tours.

So the Nov Wx in Europe is exactly like it is where most of us live, even in Florida.....unpredictable months ahead. Heck, when i first moved to Florida in '83 that winter had 10degF temps in Orlando!

Pesonally, I love going over in offmonths. Much fewer people, lower costs for the cruise and airlines and many other postives.

Den

Yes, the weather will be pleasant, or cold and unpleasant. My little joke. We did the E Med out of Rome Nov 09 and stayed onboard for the Dec 09 TA. We had great wx throughout the E Med, rainy and cold back in Rome/Florence, beautiful in the rest of the W Med, and nice crossing.

We are going to the UK in Aug, and right now, the temps look like low 60's day and 40/50's at night - in August! Looking forward to it and buy myself a nice Scottish wool sweater. I don't worry about the temp too much, just hope the rain doesn't cut back on tours.

So the Nov Wx in Europe is exactly like it is where most of us live, even in Florida.....unpredictable months ahead. Heck, when i first moved to Florida in '83 that winter had 10degF temps in Orlando!

Pesonally, I love going over in offmonths. Much fewer people, lower costs for the cruise and airlines and many other postives.

Den

Don't panic - we had sun today - about 70 degrees -------- then the clouds came !

Don't panic - we had sun today - about 70 degrees -------- then the clouds came !

If we get there and its all Sunny and warm, I'll be Very Disappointed....I mean most of us Yanks think its always foggy and rainy in Britian!! And I'll have to just hang out in some pubs all day.....perish the thought!

Heck, people are always saying how rainy it is in Seattle Washington... every time we've been there, its been sunny and lovely. I think the locals say that to keep us from moving there.

Den

If we get there and its all Sunny and warm, I'll be Very Disappointed....I mean most of us Yanks think its always foggy and rainy in Britian!! And I'll have to just hang out in some pubs all day.....perish the thought!

Heck, people are always saying how rainy it is in Seattle Washington... every time we've been there, its been sunny and lovely. I think the locals say that to keep us from moving there.

Den

Know some good pubs if you need any info ;)

Not sure we say it is miserable here to stop people staying here ------ I think you must charm the weather in Seattle if it is always nice when you visit so please feel free to visit the UK as often as possible. :D

A cruise from Spain to Italy to Croatia and back at Thanksgiving time. Will the weather be pleasant or cold and unpleasant?

Hey Marshall, which cruise are you planning on causing trouble on now?

Ah, the Motherland! Sweltering hot one moment at Parliament, then pouring rain the next. It's almost like living in Michigan where our famous saying is "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute". :D

Ah, the pubs! Brings back a fond memory from a few years ago of an afternoon spent/wasted (please notice the hash mark :D)at the Black Swan Inn in York with a couple heading to Edinburgh to see the In-Laws. A proper Ploughman's lunch and too many pints of Theakston's Old Peculiar!

Not sure we say it is miserable here to stop people staying here ------ I think you must charm the weather in Seattle if it is always nice when you visit so please feel free to visit the UK as often as possible. :D

I really prefer overcast and cooler - and, of course, everywhere I go on vacation it is always warm and sunny! So if you want to be guarenteed of unseasonably warm and sunny weather on your vacation, I can be hired on as "insurance" - pay for my trip and I'll come with!

Most of my European travel has been in either November or March, due to school vacation schedules for my kids as well as price differentials. I've done both a cruise and land tour (via bus) during the middle of the summer and I really find I like the off-season better. Crowds are MUCH smaller at all the attractions and everyone seems to be in a saner mood! It might get chilly at night and of course there are fewer hours of daylight but it's well worth the trade-off to me.

I happened to check out the port website for my November cruise this year and at a lot of the stops our cruise ship is the only one scheduled for the day. That is just great news for a confirmed crowd-hater like me! :)

Ah, the pubs! Brings back a fond memory from a few years ago of an afternoon spent/wasted (please notice the hash mark :D)at the Black Swan Inn in York with a couple heading to Edinburgh to see the In-Laws. A proper Ploughman's lunch and too many pints of Theakston's Old Peculiar!

Not sure if they have a pub on the Silhouette but will be more than happy for you to bring the good weather ;)

I really prefer overcast and cooler - and, of course, everywhere I go on vacation it is always warm and sunny! So if you want to be guarenteed of unseasonably warm and sunny weather on your vacation, I can be hired on as "insurance" - pay for my trip and I'll come with!

Can you buy a holiday cottage in the UK / timeshare from the end of July to the first week in September each year? We'll have a collection to help you pay the rent ! :D:D

Well, Mother Nature can do whatever she wants...... but we did our first Med Cruise at Thanksgiving and we loved it.

Pre-cruise in Rome was cold at night only. Nice during the day. Naples (1st port) was warm but not hot. Croatia we had a bit of fog, Corfu was nice ! then to Livorno (Florence) again nice. Then Villefranche and it was a bit windy and cool but still great weather for touring. Toulon was about the same temp but not windy as Villefranche. Barcelona was sunny and cool and cold at night (we stayed 1 night post cruise)

All in all we loved our Thanksgiving trip ....... our second trip in May was much warmer ! We are again headed back in November - just a bit earlier November..... can't wait.

I always use this website to plan my trips weather-wise.

www.americanexpressweather.com

Put in location and dates you will be there on the left hand side and up pop historical data - close as you will get to knowing what you could get ;)

We have done two Med cruises in November already and are taking a third this year, so it mustn't be too bad! A little drizzle in Barcelona, then nice after that. Venice was GLORIOUS!! Bright blue skies and perfect temps. Of course YM (and ours) MV!

A cruise from Spain to Italy to Croatia and back at Thanksgiving time. Will the weather be pleasant or cold and unpleasant?

We traveled last Thanksgiving this same itinerary and we're from Fl. as well. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but that being said, you should be prepared for cold weather just in case. Last year, it was in the 40's-50's and never really got past 50's during the day. It was overcast and drizzling while we were in Pompeii, rained off and on while we were in Rome, and Venice but was sunny and beautiful in Florence and Split Croatia but cool (50's) - lovely for touring. In Toulon it was sunny but bitter cold ...30's with mistral wind which was constant and brought the temps to about the teens. We were freezing but loved Aix nonetheless. Barcelona was 50-60 and sunny.

While we have not done november yet (will this year) we have done 2 Med cruises in October. While not pool weather, we did find the weather very pleasant and great for touring! (and we are from SoCal).

It was actually nice to be able to spend 6-8 hours walking, on shuttles, hiking, etc and never felt hot or uncomfortable. Having been to Italy in the summer before, it was a refreshing break to not be humid and hot all the time!

So, while November will be a little cooler than October, it should be similar. jackets and sweaters in the evening, long-pants and short-sleeve shirt in daytime. No Parkas needed! but also no Swim-Suits (except indoor pools).

We're planning our first trip to Europe (eastern med) and wonder what is the best time to get there. We're looking at late august or early september. Is it a good choice ? We liked hot temperature, good for beach tour and also for sigthseeing.

Any other suggestions/time of the year ?

Archived