How old is Old enough

NJCowboy

I am sure this will draw some debate, so be nice.

We will be cruising for the first time. I have two sons, a 3 and a 7.5yo.

Last year at the disney resort, my oldest was responsible enough to walk from our room and get his own meals and swim (with a life guard).

This was only for a short time each evening as we tended to our other son who had some medical needs at the time.

The oldest is very responsible for his age, so I am wondering how much he can do on the ship on his own? We are rooming on deck 8 of the carnival pride and the food (ice cream) is just one deck above as well as the water slide and pools.

Has anyone else let their children wander on a short leash? To me it is part of growing up to slowly expand his boundaries, but I would never jepordize his safety.

How about a FRS radio to communicate or some type of child locater gadget?

There is no way in the world that I would allow a seven year old to be wandering around unaccompanied on a ship. Seriously, a cruise ship is exactly like a small town - with all the good and bad that that entails. There are good people and there are bad people. Plus I do not think that children are allowed to swim without adult supervision. There are no life guards to my recollection - it is swim at your own risk.

I'm sure you will draw some fire. :D

Personally, I sometimes get turned around on a ship when entirely sober. :o I would have trouble letting a 7YO wander. I might hime wander once or twice while following him, but I don't think I'd let him go to a different deck, potentially get off the elevator on the wrong deck, etc.

A child locator is a good idea, but I wouldn't trust it to work on a ship. A ship really is a small city. It's a big place with lots of metal... and you could conceivably be 20 feet away, but on the wrong side of the ship. Radios maybe. At least he could tell you where he's at if he got lost. (Public phones would work toom as long as he knows the cabin number). I'm not sure how well that would work if he got stuck several decks away though.

I caught a lot of heat for the same thing last year on the Disney Magic, so I know where you are coming from.

First and foremost, only you know your child. So don't let anyone tell you there is a certain age for anything.....

Our daughter turned 10 on the Magic last year, and she basically had the run of the ship. Now with that being said, I had a crazy sense of security on the ship, mainly because it's pretty much all families. No bachelorette parties or anything like that. Of course, it's still like a small city, so you have to be careful.

But if you let your child walk around the resort at WDW, you would feel very secure letting him make small trips alone on the ship.

I caught a lot of heat for the same thing last year on the Disney Magic, so I know where you are coming from.

First and foremost, only you know your child. So don't let anyone tell you there is a certain age for anything.....

Our daughter turned 10 on the Magic last year, and she basically had the run of the ship. Now with that being said, I had a crazy sense of security on the ship, mainly because it's pretty much all families. No bachelorette parties or anything like that. Of course, it's still like a small city, so you have to be careful.

But if you let your child walk around the resort at WDW, you would feel very secure letting him make small trips alone on the ship.

We did not let him go far. he was just out of our site and probably not more than 100 yards away or so and for not more than 15 - 20 minutes.

I don't want anyone to think he could navigate a 10 story building on his own. LOL.

I was thinking more like poolside with one child and he goes to play miniature golf on the next deck up, or goes to get his own ice cream and soda while my wife and I lounge on the deck and he comes right back.

I think Disney does have a sense of security. Since I have never been on a cruise, I am not sure what to expect.

My thoughts are that it sounds like neglect. I would never do it: confused: why can't your husband/wife help out by taking him to the pool or for ice cream? Getting his own meals? Go to the pool alone? I see disaster written all over this. :eek:

My thoughts are that it sounds like neglect. I would never do it:confused: why can't your husband help out by taking him to the pool or for icecream? Getting his own meals? Go to the pool alone? I see disaster written all over this. :eek:

bazarr,

I am the husband. The wife has mixed feelings on it.

Call it neglect if you want, but I know how I raise my children and I have done a pretty good job, so far.

I would never put my son's safety at risk. This is our first cruise so I don't know the surroundings and was looking for advice.

I am assuming you have a child? Does he/she go to the lunch room by himself at school and get his own meals? Does he not play in the yard or with a neighbor's kid and be out of eyesight without adult supervision?

Everyone is different and every town in the USA is not the same. I think calling it neglect is a little harsh, but I did expect some backlash from people.

Last year when my son was 9 on the Carnival Splendor we had a room on the Lido. We would let him go get french fries by himself, that was IT. The funny thing was that the inroom television had a webcam of the lido pool and so he knew that we were watching to see him walk the lenght of the pool, get in line for fries and walk back. That was as comfortable as I was allowing him to wander by himself.

bazarr,

Call it neglect if you want, but I know how I raise my children and I have done a pretty good job, so far.

I would never put my son's safety at risk. This is our first cruise so I don't know the surroundings and was looking for advice.

I am assuming you have a child? Does he/she go to the lunch room by himself at school and get his own meals? Does he not play in the yard or with a neighbor's kid and be out of eyesight without adult supervision?

Everyone is different and every town in the USA is not the same. I think calling it neglect is a little harsh, but I did expect some backlash from people.

you are talking about schools or your yard, that is a whole lot different than a cruiseship, like someone mentioned in previous posts, a ship is like a small city with strangers on it, it is huge. He can get turned around real easy and get lost, I look at the what if's I guess. Better safe than sorry.

My thoughts are that it sounds like neglect. I would never do it: confused: why can't your husband/wife help out by taking him to the pool or for ice cream? Getting his own meals? Go to the pool alone? I see disaster written all over this. :eek:

That's a bit harsh isn't it? It sounds to me like the OP has another child with some special needs? I don't think calling their care "neglect" is needed. Only they know how mature their child is, and some are much more mature than others....

That's a bit harsh isn't it? It sounds to me like the OP has another child with some special needs? I don't think calling their care "neglect" is needed. Only they know how mature their child is, and some are much more mature than others....

yeah, I know. Child abductions never happens, child molestation never happens. So care for the one and let the other walk around alone, ok. :confused:

Im an adult, and Ive gotten off the elevator accidently on the wrong floor. I thought I was in a time warp as I walked down the hall to my cabin and my room number wasnt there. If you notice the numbers arent consecutive...some are skipped and are found it seems on other decks. Yes, I soon figured it out. However, Im not sure a child's thought process would be as quick. Yes, I think that kids need to develop their own independance and problem solving skills. Im not sure that a ship is the place to do that. You really dont know who your neighbors are and there is no way to run a pediphile check. Please be careful with your precious child.

im an adult, and ive gotten off the elevator accidently on the wrong floor. I thought i was in a time warp as i walked down the hall to my cabin and my room number wasnt there. If you notice the numbers arent consecutive...some are skipped and are found it seems on other decks. Yes, i soon figured it out. However, im not sure a child's thought process would be as quick. Yes, i think that kids need to develop their own independance and problem solving skills. Im not sure that a ship is the place to do that. You really dont know who your neighbors are and there is no way to run a pediphile check. Please be careful with your precious child.

like :d

Personally, I'd say about 10 years old for any freedom at all, and then only very limited. Before that, parent's should keep them in sight at all times. Maybe let them walk over to get ice cream or soda if you can see them the whole time. Definitely not let them go to the pool alone, since there are no lifeguards.

My daughter will be 12 when we go to Alaska in a couple of weeks. I am still not sure how much freedom I will give her. I will definitely expect her to check in with me often. Definitely won't let her swim unless there's adequate supervision, myself or my husband, one of my older sons, etc.

The only other time my kids have cruised, they were 2, 5 and 8, and we never let them out of our sight unless they were checked into the kid club!

There is no way I would have allowed a child of that age to get their own meal and go swimming alone at WDW last year and there is no way I would allow them to wander around a cruise ship by themselves.

If I were near the pool and they went for an ice cream and came right back, that would be fine. I would not allow them to go up a deck and get an ice cream or use the pools. There are no lifeguards, there is staff in the area but I wouldn't rely on them to keep track of my child.

yeah, I know. Child abductions never happens, child molestation never happens. So care for the one and let the other walk around alone, ok. :confused:

Absolutely they do! But to attack someone with accusations of "neglect" is out of line. Express your concerns and move on but please keep nasty comments like that to yourself.

Absolutely they do! But to attack someone with accusations of "neglect" is out of line. Express your concerns and move on but please keep nasty comments like that to yourself.

I guess you are stuck on the one word but no other concerns. You move on :confused:

bazarr,

Your wife is right. Listen to her.

I don't call it neglect, but feel you may be naive.

A cruise ship is like a small town with several thousand people. There are good people and some bad people on a ship. A 7.5 year old, even a mature one does not have great judgment and little protection against a predator. You are putting them at risk if you let them wander without supervision at this age.

Your examples are not a good analogy for a cruise ship; not even close. A better analogy would be, "do you let your child wander in a big city themselves, down unfamiliar streets among strangers?

Think of it this way, if you can't decide if it's a good idea or not, consider the fact that the cruiseline won't let a child of this age sign themselves out of the kid's club. They don't think it's a good/safe idea either.

Just going to throw this out

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/why-i-let-my-9-year-old-ride-the-subway-alone/

This was not the child in NYC who asked a stranger and got chopped up.:eek:

OP- you know your kid. One of my DDs would have had no problem doing what you are suggesting, the other one still cannot figure how to get out of a paperbag.;)

I would not let him go into the pools unsupervised. Don't think I've ever seen a lifeguard onboard.

Well, you know your child best. I think at that age, if my child showed maturity and responsibility, I would allow a quick trip to somewhere I was certain he knew how to get to and back home again, as long as we had those little 2 way radios.

We were on the Disney Magic a few months ago and my DS (just shy of 6 at the time) knew exactly how to get from our room to the kids club and back again. In fact, once he was checked out of the kids club, he'd often run ahead and walk back to the room by himself and wait for us outside the door. Now I am a worrywart and DS has some special needs, so he doesn't go places unattended.

you are talking about schools or your yard, that is a whole lot different than a cruiseship, like someone mentioned in previous posts, a ship is like a small city with strangers on it, it is huge. He can get turned around real easy and get lost, I look at the what if's I guess. Better safe than sorry.

I can see your point and appreciate different points of view. In my town, (at least my part of the town) kids still play in the street, still walk to the park and still trick or treat at night.

It is no where near perfectville, but kids slowly learn responsibility.

I can see where new surroundings can get anyone lost.

When we were in Disney, we walked the same path multiple times with him leading us. I would like to give him a little freedom, but not much. he is really looking forward to camp carnival so he will probably be there most of the time.

Your wife is right. Listen to her.

I don't call it neglect, but feel you may be naive.

A cruise ship is like a small town with several thousand people. There are good people and some bad people on a ship. A 7.5 year old, even a mature one does not have great judgment and little protection against a predator. You are putting them at risk if you let them wander without supervision at this age.

Your examples are not a good analogy for a cruise ship; not even close. A better analogy would be, "do you let your child wander in a big city themselves, down unfamiliar streets among strangers?

Think of it this way, if you can't decide if it's a good idea or not, consider the fact that the cruiseline won't let a child of this age sign themselves out of the kid's club. They don't think it's a good/safe idea either.

Is it a big city or small???

I do agree with and appreciate your comments. Again, since I am new to cruising, I am asking for experienced opinions. Sounds like I might have to rethink how much or how little freedom we give.

For me the decision has NOTHING to do with whether I trust him and his independent judgement but more so what is the enviroment.

Having just spent a week at a Disney resort I'd probably feel comfortable allowing my child to and from the cafateria, but probably wouldn't let them do it. On a ship, NOPE. As public as the ship appear, when you wander the hallway you reall are along and isolated. Not saying lots of big bad people, just not what I'd let my kids do.

That being said I've let my TWO boys wander to and from TOGATHER when they was as young as 8 and 10 at the time. A pair yes, by themselves no, but that is just me.

I am sure this will draw some debate, so be nice.

We will be cruising for the first time. I have two sons, a 3 and a 7.5yo.

Last year at the disney resort, my oldest was responsible enough to walk from our room and get his own meals and swim (with a life guard).

This was only for a short time each evening as we tended to our other son who had some medical needs at the time.

The oldest is very responsible for his age, so I am wondering how much he can do on the ship on his own? We are rooming on deck 8 of the carnival pride and the food (ice cream) is just one deck above as well as the water slide and pools.

Has anyone else let their children wander on a short leash? To me it is part of growing up to slowly expand his boundaries, but I would never jepordize his safety.

How about a FRS radio to communicate or some type of child locater gadget?

My child at the age of seven was never out of my sight unless she was with other family members. If my husband ever suggested letting my daughter roam the ship at that age I would probably push him overboard. Seven? Are you really serious? I am almost speechless.

Neglect may be too strong a term, but I think it is perhaps naively optimistic. They chances that anything bad will happen, except maybe for the child getting lost, briefly, are extremely small, but still there.

I agree with the consensus here that 7 is just too young, especially for just one. For me, 10 or 11 is the youngest I'd allow very limited freedom on a ship or any other large public venue, and then only if I knew right where they were going (to get ice cream, up to play basketball, etc.,) and then only for a limited time frame.

Yes, some kids are more mature than others, but, as a former teacher, I can tell you that most likely they are not as mature as you think!

Archived