Greece any disruptions ?

Just back from Voyager of the Seas and there was disruption at Athens 18/7/2011. Captain informed us the night before that taxi drivers were on strike but there would be shuttle buses to the nearest public transport. Not a very attractive prospect but we were booked on an excursion anyway. However, when we arrived the taxi drivers had blocked entry and exit from the port. At first we were told that it may be resolved in a few hours but in fact the ship just refuelled and set sail again about 2.00 p.m. and we had a day at sea. Crew were very good at arranging extra activities and catering at short notice so we had a pleasant enough day. I heard that there were violent scenes in Athens that day with riot police and it extended to next day too but we were in Kusadasi where the Turks were very welcoming and somewhat amused at the Greeks for alienating tourists.

link to news article

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4551

why they would picket when thousands of passengers are ready to spend much needed $$$ in their city is beyond me

It's in the very article you linked to!

The yellow cab drivers are protesting against deregulation of their industry as part of the economic reforms demanded by Greece's international creditors.

and again

why would they picket when thousands of passengers are willing to spend $$$ in their country is beyond me.

Because they feel strongly enough about the issue to do so. Greece has a democratic government where such protests are allowed. When a group of people feel strongly about something, they have the right to protest. Whether or not that is a wise decision at the end of the day remains to be seen. Tourists may well be very leery of going to Greece (and specifically Athens) for quite some time to come if protests and strikes continue to disrupt tourist activities.

But you have to look at it from the point of view of the protesters, not the point of view of the inconvenienced tourist.

Just look at what Egypt has been through. If the people didn't finally have enough of their corrupt government and protest against it, they would never have gotten rid of the existing regime. On the other hand, if they had only thought about it from an economic standpoint, they'd never have had a revolution. Tourism has suffered TERRIBLY in Egypt this year, and tourism is, I believe, the number one industry in the country. They are now trying to woo back the tourists, but many companies and travelers are (understandably) reluctant to go there at the moment; it will take some time and proof of stability before the tourists return in large numbers.

First of all, regarding what AMC001 posts, all are accurate except the "there were violent scenes in Athens that day with riot police and it extended to next day too" part which is not accurate.

Cruisemom42, i wholeheartedly understand what you post and i agree at the biggest proportion of it. Right to protest is undeniable.

Nevertheless, i have an extremely hard time to understand how a taxi strike action is finally turning against cruise ship visitors. It's not the G8 here, but cruise ship visitors like you and me, some of them may be saving for this trip a long time.

Right to protest and strike has to do with disruption against government. I see no right to protest when this is turning against other professional groups, or against visitors.

Public opinion in Greece is extremely tolerant to strike action. Let's say we have a "tradition" on this. Nevertheless, it's a common feeling lately that strike action or right to protest are sometimes over - exploited.

I personally think right to strike and protest shall be undeniable. Nevertheless, when it's turning against the public or foreign visitors, you end up on equal abuse to the one a corrupt government may be exercising.

In re-reading my post, I think I wasn't particularly clear in that I do think the strike is likely to have negative repercussions on the tourist industry.

I was more focused on answering the poster's question of why they would strike at all. :o

It basically boils down to an expression we have here: they are "cutting off their nose to spite their face." (Nick, in case that is not familiar to you, it means they are pursuing one goal to the detriment of another goal. :))

Indeed : )

I agree with you : )

And if you imagine that things can still work well here. . . There is still time left and support is provided from EU too ( well, carrot and stick i guess. . . but they do support ).

Returning to the original request of the post:

- Currently there is a taxi strike going on. Some substantial problems appeared on July 18th and some minor problems on July 19th.

- Some problems rose today ( July 28th ) too.

Other than that no other disruption exists now and all sites / museums work normally + city is full of visitors.

There is no possible way to know if any disruptions will appear on September.

My estimation ( just a personal assumption ) is that we *may* see some general strike, 24 or 48 hours, some time in September, midweek. I would also expect some downtown protest in Athens, on September 3rd, not expecting this to affect cruise ship terminals or sites at all, except a confined area around Syndagma Sq.

Nevertheless, since we have no relative announcement or any relevant info, my estimation has no practical meaning right now and lacks any solid ground to be based on.

1160451, sorry to hijack your thread but have searched with no luck.

Nick_arch, we would like to rent an apartment located 100 meters East of Stiles Olympiou on Leoforos Vouliagmenis and wonder is this area safe? I would like to go for a very early morning run in the area and hope it would be safe for a female running by myself.

Every time I search "safe" areas my results come up regarding the protests. I would like to know if it is safe in general (both traffic wise and people) especially for an early morning run.

I would not have any concerns in general, still i don't know the apartment specifics, so my answer is a bit rounded up.

All in all, i 'd just pay some attention traffic - wise, till reaching the Acropolis pedestrian Ring or the Zappeion area, where jogging is easier ( and more impressive to say the least, meaning it's a lifetime experience to jog on the shadw of the Acropolis ). Some attention on pavements is definitely needed, since many of them outside the pedestrian networks are uneven.

Speaking about general safety, this is far from the areas we consider no-no ( roughly, i have a hard time suggesting anything around Omonoia Sq. and North of it ). I don't know where your apartment exactly is, still area you are describing is either Stadion, or Pagrati, or Neos Kosmos. Generally speaking these are very safe areas, far from anywhere i 'd say "stay away".

Please do post on the "brother" site of CruiseCritic, www.tripadvisor.com ( link gets you to Athens forums directly ). You 'll get much more extensive comments there and wider local audience, since more locals are participating. CruiseCritic is more about the cruise ship passengers, the cruise itself and the cruise / port of call experience.

I 'll be happy to answer more throughly there : )

Appreciate the great details, wisdom and comments from nick_arch. Very helpful and informative.

I understand the taxi people want to keep their "monopoly" licenses to a smaller, more private, existing group. They have a legal right to protest their complaints to the government. BUT, to be "biting the hand that feeds them" is not good or smart, either short-term or for the longer view.

Tourism is such a big, BIG part of their Greek economy that it stupid to be sending out the wrong message to the same people who are considering coming to Greece. What's the strategy or upside on scaring away future customers???

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 24,855 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

1160451, sorry to hijack your thread but have searched with no luck.

Nick_arch, we would like to rent an apartment located 100 meters East of Stiles Olympiou on Leoforos Vouliagmenis and wonder is this area safe? I would like to go for a very early morning run in the area and hope it would be safe for a female running by myself.

Every time I search "safe" areas my results come up regarding the protests. I would like to know if it is safe in general (both traffic wise and people) especially for an early morning run.

100 meters East of Stiles Olympiou on Leoforos Vouliagmenis is very safe,very central and very busy.

Vouliagmenis is a one way street(away from center) and THE busiest street on this side of Athens towards the south suburbs.

BUT

The area ( and I am very familiar with it) is not ideal for running.

Traffic is heavy early morning to late into the night and very urban.

On the bright side if you are this close to the Stiles of Olympiou ,you can just walk there and run around the Stiles ,Zapeion exhibition hall ,old olympic stadium area.

Hi everybody

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we will just go with the flow when we arrive in Athens.

Sometimes i feel a little edgy when all I have to worry about is a day in Athens when the people of Greece are facing real economic problems.

Thanks again for all your comments.

I don't see a problem on this : )

Each one is to fix his own problems.

Even if the rollercoaster ride we are on now in Greece is a rough one and one we didn't choose ( really, i was queueing for the Ferris Wheel next door, who got me on the ZappingZapping 4G tetra-loop Coaster?? ), it is a problem of our own.

Your day in Athens is what interests you now and i see no harm on this.

Keep in mind that this is just a huge fiscal crisis. No more, no less. Other parts of the world are in much worse shape. We still have a good climate here, a photogenic country, genuinely optimistic temper, good food and still some chance to fix things ( the most important ).

Keep in mind that this is just a huge fiscal crisis. No more, no less. Other parts of the world are in much worse shape. We still have a good climate here, a photogenic country, genuinely optimistic temper, good food and still some chance to fix things ( the most important ).

Excellent summary, viewpoint and philosophy by Nick! PLUS, it's true. We loved our visit to the nicer, historic parts of Athens, what we saw in looping around the Peloponnesian Peninsula and in the three Greek islands we visited in June 2006. Lots of great pluses and things to see and do in Greece. Look forward to seeing more of Greece in the future, including getting to Santorini and a few other great Greek places.

From Business Week/Bloomberg News this morning, they have this interesting, indepth story with this headline: "Striking Greek Taxis Demand Government Pay for Illegal Licenses". Here are some of the story highlights: "Unable to inherit a family business, he borrowed from the bank and paid 100,000 euros ($143,010) for a license on the black market. Now he says he may fail to meet his loan obligations as the Greek government deregulates the taxi industry and opens the door to new cars taking fares as part of its commitment to a free market. Thousands of drivers like 31-year-old Giorgos blocked approaches to airports and disrupted ferry services in recent strikes while demanding to be reimbursed for their illegal licenses."

The story details how a large number of professions and trades were protected by what is called a "Soviet-style" process. Their writer in Athens gives lots of key "tradition" and background in the story. Here is another highlight: "Greece has until this month shielded everyone from taxi drivers and hairdressers to pharmacists and lawyers from competition and falling prices. That protection is now giving way to the social and economic changes in new laws promised in return for the debt relief by the European Union so Greece won’t lose the euro as a shared currency. More than 150 occupations that were closed to new entrants until the legislation went into effect on July 2 also included antique dealers, locksmiths, real estate agents and print media delivery services."

Full story at:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-07-28/striking-greek-taxis-demand-government-pay-for-illegal-licenses.html

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,123 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Taxi drivers on Corfu have voted to continue with their strike, last week they stopped passengers from getting to their tour buses!! being a Corfu lover and a cruiser i have to say i find that counter productive.

Excellent summary, viewpoint and philosophy by Nick! PLUS, it's true. We loved our visit to the nicer, historic parts of Athens, what we saw in looping around the Peloponnesian Peninsula and in the three Greek islands we visited in June 2006. Lots of great pluses and things to see and do in Greece. Look forward to seeing more of Greece in the future, including getting to Santorini and a few other great Greek places.

From Business Week/Bloomberg News this morning, they have this interesting, indepth story with this headline: "Striking Greek Taxis Demand Government Pay for Illegal Licenses". Here are some of the story highlights: "Unable to inherit a family business, he borrowed from the bank and paid 100,000 euros ($143,010) for a license on the black market. Now he says he may fail to meet his loan obligations as the Greek government deregulates the taxi industry and opens the door to new cars taking fares as part of its commitment to a free market. Thousands of drivers like 31-year-old Giorgos blocked approaches to airports and disrupted ferry services in recent strikes while demanding to be reimbursed for their illegal licenses."

The story details how a large number of professions and trades were protected by what is called a "Soviet-style" process. Their writer in Athens gives lots of key "tradition" and background in the story. Here is another highlight: "Greece has until this month shielded everyone from taxi drivers and hairdressers to pharmacists and lawyers from competition and falling prices. That protection is now giving way to the social and economic changes in new laws promised in return for the debt relief by the European Union so Greece won’t lose the euro as a shared currency. More than 150 occupations that were closed to new entrants until the legislation went into effect on July 2 also included antique dealers, locksmiths, real estate agents and print media delivery services."

Full story at:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-07-28/striking-greek-taxis-demand-government-pay-for-illegal-licenses.html

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,123 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry for that information. We are going to several ports in Greece including Athens, so this is a story worth following. I also want to comment on the great pictures you have posted on other threads. You are an asset to Cruise Critic.

Archived