Mexican Vanilla

arpie05

Verbatim from the bottle in my cupboard::D

``Ingredientes. Extracto de Vainilla pura, Agua, Alcohol y Vanillin.''

Dianne

Thanks Dianne, I'm pretty sure this is not pure vanilla extract. Whenever it's sold for so cheap it's usually not real. Here is a link to a good article on vanilla and the vanilla sold in Mexico.

http://www.vanilla.com/index.php/TROPICAL-FOODS/VANILLA/vanilla-from-mexico-central-american-and-the-caribbean.html

Lots of interesting reading and recipes on the vanilla.com site.

Kelly

I am loving this thread.

Years ago ..like 21 years ago I use to go dry my clothes at the laundry mat. There was a man there and he told me that vanilla was good in the wash if you ever left your clothes in the wash and forgot to dry them or to get old musty smells out of clothes just add vanilla in the wash. Not sure how much cuz in those days you didnt want to make talk with people at the laundry mat-lol!

• 1 month later...

Per the website, Los Cinco Soles is $16.95 for a 33.8 (1 liter) bottle. Can people who have recently purchased this brand in Cozumel share how much they actually paid?

My understanding is that I should be aiming for $8 per liter or less for Mexican vanilla, but is it possible to get this brand at that price or should I expect to pay more for it?

I bought some vanilla in Cozumel that was packaged in a plastic bottle. That night our dinner companions stated that they also bought vanilla, but in a glass bottle because they don't trust Mexican plastic. I just recently used the last of the vanilla, and thought about their comment every time I used it. I will be buying more in December. Any thoughts about the glass vs. plastic containers?

I bought some vanilla in Cozumel that was packaged in a plastic bottle. That night our dinner companions stated that they also bought vanilla, but in a glass bottle because they don't trust Mexican plastic. I just recently used the last of the vanilla, and thought about their comment every time I used it. I will be buying more in December. Any thoughts about the glass vs. plastic containers?

Don't fret, the plastic is not made in Mexico. Plus plastic will not break in your luggage. Their vanilla is the best.

Thanks Dianne, I'm pretty sure this is not pure vanilla extract. Whenever it's sold for so cheap it's usually not real. Here is a link to a good article on vanilla and the vanilla sold in Mexico.

http://www.vanilla.com/index.php/TROPICAL-FOODS/VANILLA/vanilla-from-mexico-central-american-and-the-caribbean.html

Lots of interesting reading and recipes on the vanilla.com site.

Kelly

The company on that website SELLS vanilla. Bad vanilla from Mexico is their sales pitch. I am a graduate of 2 culinary schools and I can tell you Mexican vanilla is very good, I use it all the time, you just have to watch the label.

The company on that website SELLS vanilla. Bad vanilla from Mexico is their sales pitch. I am a graduate of 2 culinary schools and I can tell you Mexican vanilla is very good, I use it all the time, you just have to watch the label.

So just curious as I would love to buy some of this fantastic vanilla...when you say 'watch the label' what exactly should I watch for? ..and what should I expect to pay? Would it be cheaper to buy downtown cozumel...or is it the same price at port? I have been to cozumel many times and have yet purchased any vanilla...so this will be on my "must do/get" list...thanks for the help.

• 3 years later...

On my trip to PV a few years ago I bought OLD FASHIONED MEXICAN PURE VANILLA BRAND "USUMACINTA"

Its a wonderful vanilla and I regret only buying a small bottle :( It makes such a difference in baking. I finished it up and I'm stuck using the basic USA one and that stuff is like water :/ Does anyone know where I can buy the brand I mention here in Southern Calif??? I told my husband we might need to go on another cruise just to get vanilla from walmart PV-lol!

Thanks in advance

I am not big on baking so, I personally buy the clear and use it in all of our camping coolers and larger liquid dispensers after each use. Just by pouring some on a paper towel and wiping the inside of the coolers out and leaving the paper towel inside the container keeps the musty smell out until the next time we use them.

I have done the same thing with the fridge.

You know how it can start to smell funky, especially if the power has gone out or it has stopped working?

A friend told me that the guy who repaired her fridge told her.

The clear kind is great to keep just for this.

According to several spice makers, real vanilla extract has no expiration date. At worst it can degrade in quality all the way down to having ZERO vanilla taste if improperly stored. Makes sense because it's pure alcohol...like you wouldn't expect a bottle of vodka to go bad.

Just a suggestion...

Last time I was going to Cozumel and interested in buying vanilla, I did lots of reading. I found that not having coumadin on the label doesn't mean it doesn't contain coumadin. Seeing, smelling or tasting are not good indicators of whether it is coumadin, even for experts. I kept looking for recommendations for a brand to trust that was also a discount from what I could buy. I eventually just ended up buying beans and making my own. Can't fake the beans and can't beat the price! It takes 3 months to make a jar of extract, so I keep 4 jars rotating (yes, I use a LOT of vanilla per month).

I'll have to second Davey. Making your own vanilla is beyond easy, economical, and tastes fantastic. You can even order mexican vanilla beans so you con't miss out on that Mexican vanilla. I also have several bottles I rotate thru.

The recipe:

Place vanilla beans in a glass bottle

fill with vodka

let steep for 3 months

And there you go. I get mine from https://www.beanilla.com

We use a good bit of vanilla and will definitely be picking up a big bottle in September. My DW loves Los Cinco Sols so that is where ours will come from.

Is Los Cinco Sols a store? Is it near the pier?

We use a good bit of vanilla and will definitely be picking up a big bottle in September. My DW loves Los Cinco Sols so that is where ours will come from.

My first cruise is in 17 days and I also want to stop at at Los Cinco Sols. We are doing mr Sanchos, will we have time to go to the market too? Do they sell vanilla beans? Are you allowed to hand carry vanilla beans back into the U.S.?

Is Los Cinco Sols a store? Is it near the pier?

There is a Cinco Sols at the Puerta Maya Pier and not too far from the Punta Langosta (downtown) Pier. I don't recall if they have one near the International Pier.

There is a Cinco Sols at the Puerta Maya Pier and not too far from the Punta Langosta (downtown) Pier. I don't recall if they have one near the International Pier.

We'll be on NCL. I'm not sure which pier.

There is a Los Cinco Soles store at the International Pier, but they don't sell vanilla beans.

Do they have liqiud vanilla?

We have purchased our vanilla at the duty free shop by the pier.

3-4 small bottles, and every year the price has gone up. (no surprise)

Enjoy

Is there just one pier? I thought there were several different ones.

We'll be on NCL.

I've bought vanilla in Mexico it is FANTASTIC!!!

BUT...

Its still not as good as making it yourself, at home. Its super easy and if you stay on top of it you can keep a great rotational supply!