UK credit card ues onboard

Old Sea Dog43

This does not appear to apply to the Uk pound? Am I right? If not which of the following options is best and why. Thanks

From the express pass-

For Non-US Issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders.

If you use a MasterCard or Visa Card issued outside of the United States and one which is billed to any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK EUR. GHP, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your account and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account. If you opt out of using our conversion agent, the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. Choice of currency is final.

spacer.gif

Currency Convention Authorization(Please check one of the following options.)

A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I.e.: I choose to use Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program. (See terms below.)

This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation.

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises currency program. (See information below.)

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Absolutely agree. Make sure you tick 'B' either in your online checkin form. When you print it out, make sure it is ticked. I even put lines through the whole wording of option A. A couple of days after you get on board and are at a loose end (!), go to Guest Relations and ask them if your request for option B has been recorded. Its amazing how many times they 'forget' to amend your records. If you have to go to GR again later (perhaps to sort a query on your bill), ask them again. They sometimes 'forget' you 'reminded' them. They will do almost anything to make a buck!!

Simon

Simon has given you good advice. In the past we have completed part B on line. Pointed it out to the shore side agent when handing over the credit card and again at guest relations on board. They STILL converted the account and we ended up with a rubbish rate of exchange. Now we insist on having interim accounts printed and each time point out that we do not want them to do the conversion. Especially as we have a credit card with no charges for overseas use.

This does not appear to apply to the Uk pound? Am I right? If not which of the following options is best and why. Thanks

From the express pass-

For Non-US Issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders.

If you use a MasterCard or Visa Card issued outside of the United States and one which is billed to any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK EUR. GHP, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your account and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account. If you opt out of using our conversion agent, the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. Choice of currency is final.

There is no ISO currency code of GHP - so this is obviously a typo for GBP:rolleyes:

Select Option B.

Definitely B. You've had good advice about checking while on board. Princess assured us they would not convert but they did, so when we got home they gave me a refund based on the day's exchange rate plus a future obc as an apology. Are you from Shields Sandancer?

Jim.

Simon has given you good advice. In the past we have completed part B on line. Pointed it out to the shore side agent when handing over the credit card and again at guest relations on board. They STILL converted the account and we ended up with a rubbish rate of exchange. Now we insist on having interim accounts printed and each time point out that we do not want them to do the conversion. Especially as we have a credit card with no charges for overseas use.

Hi Elaine. How are you and Lysle doing?

Simon

While I agree with everyone else that B is almost certainly the option you should select [we always highlight our selection and, to date, have never had a problem], you should check the small print on your credit card conditions to ensure that the rate they charge is the better of the two.

Sue

and if you do opt for B (to date has always been the best option) make sure you go to guest relations mid cruise and check that is indeed what is happening - I would say to date in over 50% of our cruises it has been wrong, and has always been wrong if we sail out of Southampton or Fort Lauderdale. We too had to get a refund once we got back one time so now we check and get the change made if needed on board

Agreed, option "B", good way to check when on board, go to Guest Relations around 4/5 days into your cruise (this gives them time to apply the option you requested) and look at the total of your bill which will be in $US but if they haven't applied option "B", on the next line it will show the conversion rate total in whatever currency your card is in, obviously if it has this at the bottom you can then show this to GR and ask them to rectify it.

...though I wouldn't bank on it!!

Simon

Yep, I'm touching wood when I say "so far so good". uktog mentioned it always seemed to go wrong when sailing out of Southampton although for the first time ever when I sailed from there in May the check-in girl specifically mentioned it was the B option I wanted. Perhaps some are learning it's better to get it right first time than endure sorting it out when the complaints arrive. We'll see.

Phil

Archived