Am I the only one who doesn't find the drinks onboard to be over priced?

shayelle

I remember my first cruise on Holland American in the 60's. At the time cruises were known for cheap drinks (well below Chicaqo prices at least) because they got their liquor so cheap. Those days are gone forever.

I feel $10 for a large dry gin martini is very well priced for what I get. In June, we were on the Solstice for 12 days and of all the drinks I ordered (no, I don't think I will say how many but a lot of them :) ) I only had one that was a little limp.

Of course, I always tip my bar waiter a little extra each night so maybe that helps??? :)

Hal

The prices are reasonable and the glasses are larger. I order a appletini at home and they are served in what to me is the equivalent of a wine glass and it cost $9.00. So $10.00 for twice the size and Celebrity is no slouch on booze is quite fair to me.

The prices seem reasonable to me as well:) and they are what they

are;). I love the Martinis:D and I feel like I get money's worth and

that part is important to me. Can't speak for anyone else but if I order

a bottle of wine I look at the price but when I order a single drink

(cocktail or wine) I don't usually take a 2nd look at the price....

You sail the ship, you pay the price. At home we know where to go for better prices. Example, we have an upscale mexican resturant for months has been selling GOOD frozen or regular margaritas ALL day on Mon-Tue-Wed for $1 with chips, they finally raised their price last week to $1.50. On a cruise you enjoy yourself & pay the price since you cannot shop. LIFE IS SHORT!!

When we took our first cruise in the early '70s ( Carla C on Costa), I remember commenting that the drinks were dirt cheap. ( Dollar or two )

Someone reminded me that cruise lines buy in bulk , directly from distillery and pay no tax .

As far as I know , they still do, but realized some years ago that they can get away with charging same as land based bars ( less local sales tax) and make a very nice profit , while letting the customer pay a large part of bartenders salary at 15% per drinkl.

I also recall that the Martini Bar on M class used to serve in large, , artistic "X" martini glasses with curved stems . Never did get around to stealing one. Now martini glasses a much smaller and generic. Same price though.

When we took our first cruise in the early '70s ( Carla C on Costa), I remember commenting that the drinks were dirt cheap. ( Dollar or two )

Someone reminded me that cruise lines buy in bulk , directly from distillery and pay no tax .

As far as I know , they still do, but realized some years ago that they can get away with charging same as land based bars ( less local sales tax) and make a very nice profit , while letting the customer pay a large part of bartenders salary at 15% per drinkl.

I also recall that the Martini Bar on M class used to serve in large, , artistic "X" martini glasses with curved stems . Never did get around to stealing one. Now martini glasses a much smaller and generic. Same price though.

Hi Bob and Pinkie.....I think we met you guys during the Elite Cocktail hour when we were on the Solstice in April 2010.

Doesn't Pinkie like Champagne?

I also think that due to the ships being able to buy the liquor quite a bit cheaper it would sure be nice if they passed some of that savings on to the consumer. The issue, as had been stated already, is that most people do not go to the fancier restaurants every night. As such, we would not spend 7+ days paying prices like that (not to mention more drinks bought when at sea). There are no options, and no true specials worth mentioning. I think it hits light and middle drinkers hardest, as the bigger drinkers (not a judgement; just meaning those who order more drinks on their cruises) can buy drink packages and probably find a bargain that way. If you are a modest drinker as am I, there are no bargains to be found. I particularly think the beer prices are high. I would like to see lower beer prices, and a couple of true specials each day that are worth ordering. Just my opinion

Somebody besides me thinks the pricing is at least somewhat too high.

Let's see-a beer $6--that's $144/case--just a little too much.

And the booze prices aren't any more reaonable.:confused:

I Live In NY. I have also lived in Denver and San Diego.

I Find the bar prices way out of line. Every major city I have lived in I have found a bar that sold high end beer (Red hook, Fat tire, Long trail, Anchor steam) For under 5 bucks. At the very same bars, Mixed drinks (Not from the well) cost around 6 bucks.

These were nice establishments, with good people and were usually a little more hip than the "Posh" places around town.

We have already paid for the cruise...don't gouge us on the drinks as well.

And if anyone says that 8 dollars for a beer is reasonable...then you are a sucker.

"Reasonable" is a frame of reference.

Some think $100 for a pair of jeans is reasonable.

Some think $100 for a pair of jeans is outrageous.

It's all about your frame of reference.

My take is that ALL drinks are vastly overpriced. That is why a bar is the number one profit center of any business. Not just on alcohol, but soft drinks, water, coffee and juices all have a huge mark up. Is it reasonable? That all depends on what your price point is. I have mine (price point, that is) and when I get a good drink (meaning well made and served in a proper glass) then I am content and all is right with the world. ;)

So far most of the answers seem to be from people who consider it chic to buy overpriced drinks.

I come from Yorkshire where it is customary to have short arms and deep pockets, and finding the best place to buy inexpensive drinks would definitely be considered the height of chic. Although being from Yorkshire chic is the last thing I would want to be. ;):rolleyes::cool::)

The last time I had a drink in Swaledale, two dogs were under the table, a cat jumped up on the barstool next to me and a sheep walked by the window...the beer my husband ordered was reasonably priced, but the bartender/tendress said she couldn't make a Kir Royale ;)

Drink prices are comparable with restaurant prices. Most wines start around $28 a bottle and go up, while beer prices at $6.

In my cabin, they're much, much less expensive.;)

I find the drink prices to be on par with or even in some cases, less, then places we go locally and places we travel. Where I live $12 Martini's, $8 Margarita's, $10 glasses of wine are pretty normal.

I agree, but I would have to think with the volume of alcohol that the cruise lines purchase they must get it cheaper than your local bars and restaurants.

Unfortunately this is how restaurants, bars and cruise lines make their money. And don't get me started on the price of desserts in restaurants. At least on the ship, dessert is included in the price.

It appears that most of the people who think that drinks on Celebrity are overpriced are comparing their prices to those of a neighborhood bar. With the exception of my college days, I have never been to a bar so I don't have that basis for comparison. Based on my experience, drinks on Celebrity are frequently less expensive than they are at restaurants and hotels.

In case anyone is wondering why I went to a bar when I was in college when the legal age to drink is 21, I am so old that the legal age to drink in New York during my college days was only 18.

The entire problem lies in the ship having a monopoly on the bars. Its not like you can go anywhere else on non port days.

That's why it is sad prices are so high.

I don't feel it's "sad" that bar prices are high whatsoever. They are in line with what any metropolitan city in the United States would charge in their upscale bar or restaurants.

Celebrity is in the business of transportation and leisure. We all have choices when we travel, or if we want to travel. They are not a "non-profit" organization.

I guess it depends where you come from in the U.S. We come from the northeast and martinis cost anywhere from $10. to $15 depending what kind of restuarant/bar you go. We sometimes go to this little bar, nothing but a hole in the wall, near us and I can get Grey Goose on the rocks for $7.50 but it is served in such a little glass that with ice it may be only 1oz of Goose for that price. The drinks on Celebrity are served quite large and not bad price compared to what we pay here in NJ,

Pat

It appears that most of the people who think that drinks on Celebrity are overpriced are comparing their prices to those of a neighborhood bar. With the exception of my college days, I have never been to a bar so I don't have that basis for comparison. Based on my experience, drinks on Celebrity are frequently less expensive than they are at restaurants and hotels.

In case anyone is wondering why I went to a bar when I was in college when the legal age to drink is 21, I am so old that the legal age to drink in New York during my college days was only 18.

Hey, You are not so old. I remember going to NY to get my drinks when I was 17 with my phoney id.:D Not so old here, just experienced.

Pat

In my opinion not overpriced. From what I paid for my most recent cruise, I am more than happy to have that "subsidized" price available due to drink profits, while at the same time encouraging moderation in consumption. I am sure that the price level is intentionally set to both maximize profits and minimize over-consumption and the inevitable anti-social behavior of that small but very unpleasant minority who don't know when to say when.

Archived