best moderate priced cruise line for widows

traveled

Which is the best line for widows that is moderately priced? What I am looking for is mainly the best way to navigate eating alone. I can occupy myself during other times and do not worry about excursions but meal times are my worry. I do not want to be placed with families or couples, this is too hard emotionally. I am in my 60's a new widow and I need a vacation to escape.

If you cruise on NCL you will always be permitted to eat alone. They don't offer "traditional" dining, and accommodating requests for table-sharing appears to be at the discretion of the hostess.

On the other hand, if you WANT to be seated at a table with others, then NCL is probably not the line to try.

Traveled, I would agree that NCL freestyle might be good for you. You can request a table for yourself in the MDR or you can eat in any of the specialty restaurants by yourself as well as in the buffet area. As far as the lines that have fixed dining, if they were going to seat you with other singles that would be fine, but not all lines do that. Good luck and happy sailing.

Which is the best line for widows that is moderately priced? What I am looking for is mainly the best way to navigate eating alone. I can occupy myself during other times and do not worry about excursions but meal times are my worry. I do not want to be placed with families or couples, this is too hard emotionally. I am in my 60's a new widow and I need a vacation to escape.

I'd try Celebrity because I think the line is more consistant with your demographic. You didn't say you wanted to eat alone....you said you didn't want families and couples. I have sailed NCL many times but only once solo....it is not as conducive to solo travel in my opinion... I find Celebrity and even Carnival do better for solos.........

I would try Celebrity and ask for a large table of solos. Then as soon as you get on the ship go to the Maitre' d about 2pm and have him look at your table assignment and analyze whether it is couples....he will use dates of birth and gender to figure it out.....

If it is a bunch of couples tell him you want a table of eight with people traveling alone or groups of friends.....trust me there are some on every ship....my only caution is that you may need to eat at the later time......

If all else fails you can go to Celebrity Select Dining and dine at a table for one anytime each night........

Most of the time I get a table that is large with a couple girlfriends traveling together, maybe some sisters, and occaisionaly a mom or dad with grown adult child.

I have also been at a table with couples and grown children....I don't mind...I just blend in as on of their children......by the end of the cruise they are usually ready to adopt me :)

The key is knowing to speak to the maitre 'd ahead of time and let him know this is a big concern and it could ruin your cruise!!!!!! And also be aware that if a table doesn't fit the first night....move ASAP.....don't stick it out for anyone's sake......... its your cruise so make the bestof it.......

No one wants to see you unhappy or in the buffet or room service...... Also on Clebrity they will deliver the dining room menu items to you in your stateroom if you order ahead....but please don't do that....get out there and enjoy yourself!!!!!!!

Iv found that Carnival always places me with single women, ..or moms and daughters, two sisters, etc. all women at the same table, and its been nice.

I dont think you should rule out traditional.

but RCL, Princess and Carnival all have anytime dining where you just say if you want to eat alone. NCL is one of many doing this. Nothing special and the food is probably the worst.

If all else fails you can go to Celebrity Select Dining and dine at a table for one anytime each night........

...or you can sail on NCL where you can do that every night, in all of its various restaurants, absolutely without problem. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My advise is probably Holland America, Celebrity, or Princess would be the best choice in your demographics. I would avoid Carnival or NCL from my 30+ cruise experience. Also avoid holidays/spring break/Easter, peak summer dates when school is out. Do your homework and find a good travel agent you can work with. Finding a good TA is like finding a good doctor, dentist, CPA. Ask friends, family, co-working for references, etc. Once you book your cruise make sure your TA has your dining booked as fix traditional at large table of 8 at either first 6PM or second 8:30PM seating. Whatever dining time your normal eat or prefer. Have your dining reservation flagged at solo cruiser. The cruise lines/Maitre'd will do the best to seat you with other compatible table mates. There is no guarantee you will be seated with other singles and/or couples. In the rare situation your table mates aren't compatible speak with the Maitre'd after dinner and have him switch your table. They will be more than happy to do such. There job is to make your dining experience a positive one. Once I got seated with two large family and I asked the Maitre'd to switch me and he immediately place me at another table of singles. The other option is get involve in your sailing's roll call here on Cruisecritic. Maybe if you connect with some people prior to your cruise you can arrange to sit at their table in the dining room. I realize it hard to dine as a solo cruiser, but in all my travel experiences the positives far outweighs any negative experiences I've had which has been far and few in between.

I am in my sixties and have been a widow traveling alone on Holland America for several years. What you will discover, if you wish to, is that it is OK to discard a lot of "tradition" as a widow and solo cruiser. You can break away from both the "couples" and "5th wheel" mindsets. Clinging to the "We always....." cruising traditions can hinder the adjustment to widowhood.

Since you do not state that the Main Dining Room is important, you might try the buffet, either alone with a book, or casually joining various people you will meet on the cruise. There's no need to dine at traditional times - I decide daily what I would like, when I would like it -and for that matter, with whom I choose to eat it. If I desire to have two appetizers or just soup and a roll for dinner - it doesn't disturb the more formal serving "choreography" of the dining room (and invites no well-meaning comments).

I find that traditional dinner hours are some of the most pleasant times to be outdoors. Often I don't care to endure a long, served meal while hearing about other people's grandchildren (which is painful because I have none living) or comparing wine (which I don't drink), or going on about their husbands or widowhood (for obvious reasons).

I can't speak to other cruise lines, but I have found HAL's Lido buffet to be a very pleasant casual dining place - with virtually the same food choices.

I am not you, but please consider that your sad change in marital status comes with the freedom to explore options to change your everyday routine.

All of the mainstream cruiselines now give you the option of either traditional dining and anytime dining. I'm your age (but not a widow) and cruise solo and prefer traditional dining because I like conversation at dinner. If I don't like my tablemates the first night, I ask to be moved to another table. I could also ask to be changed to anytime dining and request a table by myself if that is what I wanted. You have many choices so don't think you're stuck with your first one.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a 53 year old widow. I lost my husband during the holidays a year and half ago (hospitalized before Christmas and passed away day after New Years). Nearing the one-year point last holiday season, I too decided that I needed to get away, so I booked my first cruise and I went solo.

My advice is to get a good travel agent--I lucked out had a great one. I explained why I wanted to go on a cruise. He agreed that a cruise vacation would be a good idea--if I needed to be alone I could go off to my cabin and order room service, but if I wanted company, I could also get out and make friends (which isn't so easy with a land vacation--cruisers talk to each other much more that the guests in a hotel). Before suggesting a specific cruise, he asked my age, my hobbies, what I like to do (read), what I wanted to do (relax), and a bunch of other questions. He then suggested Holland America. He said that eating alone is what most solo travelers don't like and suggested Traditional Dining since I would then have a set table with set table mates, and he said he would request that I be seated with other solo travelers; and that I be seated at the largest possible table (table of 8) so if there was one or two people that I really didn't have anything in common with, there would be other people at the table to talk to. He also advised me to check with the Maitre' de once on board to confirm the seating arrangements.

Everything worked out perfectly. I had private time when I needed it, but I never felt alone on the ship (as you can at a hotel in the city). I could take a walk around the deck at night and not worry about getting mugged. I travel a lot on business, so I have eaten alone and it doesn't bother me, but knowing I had people I could have dinner with was something nice that I could look forward to each day. (At a hotel, or land vacation, you don't have the choice of a set table with table mates, or joining others for dinner which you can do with "free style" or "nontraditional" dining--on a cruise, you can elect to eat with others or alone, or go to the buffet with a good book, or order room service--whatever you want.)

My travel agent walked me through the cabin choices. Since there was just me traveling alone, I didn't need a larger suite. I'm not claustrophobic, so I didn't need a window, and I thought it would be better if I was out on the deck with other people instead of moping on my balcony alone, so I elected to save money and book an inside cabin--it was perfect for me.

That was my first cruise ever, not even a year ago, and since then I've taken a second cruise--on Princess (my parents had cruised with them, so I wanted to try it). I like both cruise lines, but would probably lean toward Holland America. I'm booked on another cruise on Princess, but this time I'm going with old friends (their cabin is next door to mine). This will be my first time cruising with other people and while it will be nice to spend time with old friends taht I haven't seen in a few years, I'm glad I have my own cabin. When I cruised alone, I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted without having to check with anyone else (yes, I'll admit that I'm a little selfish and enjoyed that freedom immensely), so this will be a change for me. Most people cruise with a spouse or others and are apprehensive when thinking about traveling alone--I've cruised alone and I'm a little apprehensive about traveling with others :rolleyes:!

Anyway, my point is that a good travel agent will be able to guide you to the right cruise line for you based upon your age, your interests, what you hope to do--dance the night away, go on an adventure, relax with a good book, be pampered and eat gourmet food. The different cruise lines have a different demographic base, market towards different sectors, and focus on different areas of the cruising experience--this means that some are better suited to your wants and needs than others.

Once the cruise is booked, get involved in the Cruise Critic Roll Call--I felt like I had 40 friends on the ship even before I set foot on it. It wasn't easy to take that step--a vacation without my husband, but I think you'll find (like I did) that a cruise is a perfect vacation for a widow travelling alone.

All the best to you!

I am a 53 year old widow. I lost my husband during the holidays a year and half ago (hospitalized before Christmas and passed away day after New Years). Nearing the one-year point last holiday season, I too decided that I needed to get away, so I booked my first cruise and I went solo.

My advice is to get a good travel agent--I lucked out had a great one. I explained why I wanted to go on a cruise. He agreed that a cruise vacation would be a good idea--if I needed to be alone I could go off to my cabin and order room service, but if I wanted company, I could also get out and make friends (which isn't so easy with a land vacation--cruisers talk to each other much more that the guests in a hotel). Before suggesting a specific cruise, he asked my age, my hobbies, what I like to do (read), what I wanted to do (relax), and a bunch of other questions. He then suggested Holland America. He said that eating alone is what most solo travelers don't like and suggested Traditional Dining since I would then have a set table with set table mates, and he said he would request that I be seated with other solo travelers; and that I be seated at the largest possible table (table of 8) so if there was one or two people that I really didn't have anything in common with, there would be other people at the table to talk to. He also advised me to check with the Maitre' de once on board to confirm the seating arrangements.

Everything worked out perfectly. I had private time when I needed it, but I never felt alone on the ship (as you can at a hotel in the city). I could take a walk around the deck at night and not worry about getting mugged. I travel a lot on business, so I have eaten alone and it doesn't bother me, but knowing I had people I could have dinner with was something nice that I could look forward to each day. (At a hotel, or land vacation, you don't have the choice of a set table with table mates, or joining others for dinner which you can do with "free style" or "nontraditional" dining--on a cruise, you can elect to eat with others or alone, or go to the buffet with a good book, or order room service--whatever you want.)

My travel agent walked me through the cabin choices. Since there was just me traveling alone, I didn't need a larger suite. I'm not claustrophobic, so I didn't need a window, and I thought it would be better if I was out on the deck with other people instead of moping on my balcony alone, so I elected to save money and book an inside cabin--it was perfect for me.

That was my first cruise ever, not even a year ago, and since then I've taken a second cruise--on Princess (my parents had cruised with them, so I wanted to try it). I like both cruise lines, but would probably lean toward Holland America. I'm booked on another cruise on Princess, but this time I'm going with old friends (their cabin is next door to mine). This will be my first time cruising with other people and while it will be nice to spend time with old friends taht I haven't seen in a few years, I'm glad I have my own cabin. When I cruised alone, I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted without having to check with anyone else (yes, I'll admit that I'm a little selfish and enjoyed that freedom immensely), so this will be a change for me. Most people cruise with a spouse or others and are apprehensive when thinking about traveling alone--I've cruised alone and I'm a little apprehensive about traveling with others :rolleyes:!

Anyway, my point is that a good travel agent will be able to guide you to the right cruise line for you based upon your age, your interests, what you hope to do--dance the night away, go on an adventure, relax with a good book, be pampered and eat gourmet food. The different cruise lines have a different demographic base, market towards different sectors, and focus on different areas of the cruising experience--this means that some are better suited to your wants and needs than others.

Once the cruise is booked, get involved in the Cruise Critic Roll Call--I felt like I had 40 friends on the ship even before I set foot on it. It wasn't easy to take that step--a vacation without my husband, but I think you'll find (like I did) that a cruise is a perfect vacation for a widow travelling alone.

All the best to you!

I want to say how sorry I am to OP and to BassettMom. It's been 12 years now for me, and yes it is hard.

BassettMom, we are around the same age. What did you like about Holland America? Are there plenty of activities to keep you busy day and night, if that is what you want? I've often thought about taking a cruise with Holland America but I've heard that there isn't very much to do and I worry about that on a solo cruise. Do you have a review of your cruise?

I also am a widow in my 60s and recommend Carnival, as long as you avoid holidays and school breaks which I have always done anyway, a cruise of 7-9 days, and that you choose traditional dining, late seating, and ask for a large table (8 or 10). Both times I traveled on Carnival were after my husband died (in 2009 solo, and in 2011 with my sister), and on both cruises I/we were seated with other singles of varying ages. For breakfast and lunch on my solo cruise I usually ate in the buffet -- sometimes I took my tray to an empty table and sometimes I found a friendly-looking table and asked if I could join them -- somehow in the casual atmosphere of the buffet it was ok to be with families.

There is plenty to do on Carnival day and night, the cruise staff are very entertaining, there are lots of public areas to relax in the sun or the shade, there are adults-only areas, and Carnival is appreciated by many as one of the best values in cruising. I am cruising solo again on Carnival in January (though connected to a group my travel agent puts together, with whom I will dine).

Whichever line you choose, have a wonderful cruise -- I hope it turns out to be a liberating feeling to take this step in your new life.

I ... recommend Carnival, as long as you avoid holidays and school breaks which I have always done anyway, a cruise of 7-9 days, and that you choose traditional dining, late seating, and ask for a large table (8 or 10). ...

Upon re-reading my post of last night, I believe it could be interpreted that I recommend you avoid a cruise of 7-9 days. But in fact, that is the length I recommend. Brief cruises of less than 7 days could involve a hard-partying atmosphere that might be a bit much for a recent widow.

Great thread. For the last few years I've cruised solo during the Christmas/New Years holidays. I choose a cruise/cruise line by itinerary and days off I need to take away from my job during this time.

I've experimented with HAL and Princess, traditional and anytime dining, during these 12+ day cruises. There will be +s and -s on every cruise. On Princess my cruise was a bit more family oriented then I liked but I still managed to avoid being overwhelmed by kids. I did enjoy the entertainment on Princess more than HAL.

But I still found plenty to do on HAL. Mostly, on my last cruise, I ate dinner in the Lido and checked out the lounges at night for musical entertainment and movies. I find, during my cruises, I'm happy just enjoying the sea walking around a promenade deck, or/and sitting outside/inside with a good book.

Cruisecritic is a wonderful resource for gathering information. I find cruising a wonderful way to travel solo. Faith

Iv found that Carnival always places me with single women, ..or moms and daughters, two sisters, etc. all women at the same table, and its been nice.

I dont think you should rule out traditional.

but RCL, Princess and Carnival all have anytime dining where you just say if you want to eat alone. NCL is one of many doing this. Nothing special and the food is probably the worst.

I am also a widow, 3 years now, and it is still hard to imagine going on vacation alone. But I'm taking my first vacation and solo at that, in November and am excited but also concerned about the dining thing room thing. You said Carnival always seated you with a table of females..that would be perfect for me as I'm just not ready for anything else yet. Did you talk to Carnival prior to cruise with your preference or talk to the dining room staff first day?

My deepest sympathies. I've been on nearly every line out there, as a solo, and I have to say that in "our" age group, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity are probably the best choices. While I realize NCL has their supporters, and that's great, after taking two cruises on that line, never again. Depending on when you plan to cruise, Carnival, NCL and RCI tend to have LOTS of kids. Princess and Celebrity have open seating at dinner, so you can dine alone. But I do want to say, that although you might not be comfortable dining with others now, realize that there will come a day when the camaraderie of others will be un and will enhance your cruise experience.

Thank you Kitty. It's been a long 3 years but this cruise is going to be so good for me. I can't believe how excited I am! It feels good to have something to look forward to again!

As for dining, I'm all for dining with others I just don't want to be thought of as a "single" looking to "hook up" with a male companion (unless it's Kenny Chesney) LoL! jk

I am impressed with you on taking the first step. I lost my husband 2 years ago, when I was 60, spent the first 1 1/2 years dazed, then without self doubting myself, booked a Carnival cruise on the Sensation for 4 days. On the cruise, I never felt more at peace in my life.

They sat me at a big table, with only one couple.

I booked a balcony, I felt I deserved a good room, as I was only going to take only one cruise.

5 cruises later, (still a Balcony) I laugh at my thinking.

Melanie

Good for you Melanie. Yes at one time I was going to try a cruise solo to see if I liked it. Before that I had only done land tours. Now I have done more cruises than land tours and enjoyed all of them, both the cruises and land trips. The cruising does get addicting though, because I like having the hotel move each night instead of having to pack up every morning and move to the next stop. Happy sailing.

I am impressed with you on taking the first step. I lost my husband 2 years ago, when I was 60, spent the first 1 1/2 years dazed, then without self doubting myself, booked a Carnival cruise on the Sensation for 4 days. On the cruise, I never felt more at peace in my life.

They sat me at a big table, with only one couple.

I booked a balcony, I felt I deserved a good room, as I was only going to take only one cruise.

5 cruises later, (still a Balcony) I laugh at my thinking.

Melanie

After three years I just woke up one day and felt like I wanted to take a cruise. Don't know what came over me at all and my grown daughters were in shock that i was actually going to get out of the house! I was a liitle shocked myself but now I'm So excited and I know truly that it's time to rejoin the living. For every widow or widower there's a right time and mine is now. I also agree on the pampering part...the victory leaves from San Juan and I've booked myself a nice hotel room for two days pre cruise to just relax. Victory leaves 11/6, the same day as you leave on the Pride!

Going through widowhood is one of the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. A nice vacation is something I think every widow deserves. I was hesitant at first but this board and other widows here helped get me excited about a trip just for me. To do what I want to do without worrying about anyone else will be very peaceful as someone mentioned. I cruise in November and i also worry about the dining thing but I figure there's always the buffet and a good book if it's too overwhelming for me. I think the important thing is to try and keep the mndset that you can do (or not do) whatever you want and that at least on a cruise there are always lots of options for every thing. It's been three years for me and this is my first vacation and I'm going solo. If I cruise before you go I'll let you know what i did for dining. Marsha

The new NCL Epic has Studio rooms for solos with access to a dedicated lounge where you may be able to meet other solos looking for a table mate. The NCL website has a video of the tiny but double bedded suites. Rates are quite good.

As a widow, I get your need to go alone. I went on 2 cruises with my children the first year, it was a good vacation choice with not too many plans to make, one Holland America, another Celebrity.

The new NCL Epic has Studio rooms for solos with access to a dedicated lounge where you may be able to meet other solos looking for a table mate. The NCL website has a video of the tiny but double bedded suites. Rates are quite good.

As a widow, I get your need to go alone. I went on 2 cruises with my children the first year, it was a good vacation choice with not too many plans to make, one Holland America, another Celebrity.

The first few years after my husband died at age 48, I cruised once a year with my three teenage sons. It was a good bonding experience, but as they got older, its been hard to all go together--I am a teacher and can only cruise during tax season--not good for my accountant son. Last year, I discovered the Epic solo rooms.............best cruise ever! I've loved Princess, I'm diamond on RCCL, and have traveled Carnival, but NCL Epic wins hands down. Here's why: 1. no more begging friends to accompany you ...2. the studio lounge is just for solos and there's a happy hour every evening where u can meet other solos who will become your table mates...............3. you get to do what you want, when you want....4. its about 150% of double the single interior rate.....5. the ship is awesome, the entertainment is top shelf, specialty restaurqnts are A+. Enjoy -- you deserve it! There's nothing worse than losing your soul mate.

Archived