Why is Riviera maiden suddenly showing all wait-list?

Ragnar Danneskjold

Does anyone remember if the bookings for the MV on the Marina were wait listed or sold out so far in advance?

In the past most Oceania cruises were wait listed or sold out well in advance but that was pre recession days;)

Ummm, what freebies??? We booked for schedule/port reasons. Usually try to steer clear maiden voyages, post drydock cruises, etc. Due to these type of things having slippages. But this one is sounding better everyday :-)

The freebies on Marina's maiden voyage came about mostly for the "slippages" you mentioned. Drinks were free as a "thank you" for bearing with them. Internet was free, mostly because it didn't work very well. The launderettes were free because they didn't ship the tokens. The cruise was fabulous despite the fact that the ship wasn't really finished.

It's planned for Riviera to be absolutely complete significantly ahead of time, so it's unlikely there will be as many "slippages". It would be great if there were freebies, but I don't expect them.

Why should anyone book for "freebies?" It was totally a surprise on the Marina, as Horndoner stated, and was truly appreciated. Book the Riveria for the "Maiden voyage," not what you might "think" they might do. There is only ONE Maiden voyage. That really makes it memorable. We so look forward to the trip. The Marina was fabulous, and we fully expect the Riviera to be fabulous as well.

Why should anyone book for "freebies?" It was totally a surprise on the Marina, as Horndoner stated, and was truly appreciated. Book the Riveria for the "Maiden voyage," not what you might "think" they might do. There is only ONE Maiden voyage. That really makes it memorable. We so look forward to the trip. The Marina was fabulous, and we fully expect the Riviera to be fabulous as well.

Spindrift, our sentiments exactly! We just sailed on the Marina and loved her and we have never been on a Maiden voyage so we are really looking forward to the experience! :D

Spindrift, our sentiments exactly! We just sailed on the Marina and loved her and we have never been on a Maiden voyage so we are really looking forward to the experience! :D

I agree. We are doing the Maiden voyage just because we never done one and to meet some of the more famous CC members ie Jim & Stan, Don & Betsy etc etc. We also look forward to meeting many more new friends. Just wish some of our other Oceania friends where joining us. ;)(Lyn, Mike, Sukey, Jesse, Deb, Sheila etc etc - hint hint)

I just received a call from our travel agent and the April 14th Maiden Voyage from Barcelona to Athens aboard Riviera has been cancelled. The inaugural cruise will now be from Athens to Istanbul on April 24th.Bummer!

I just received a call from our travel agent and the April 14th Maiden Voyage from Barcelona to Athens aboard Riviera has been cancelled. The inaugural cruise will now be from Athens to Istanbul on April 24th.Bummer!

Not all that surprising, given the recent events in Greece.

Didn't some posters here express those very wishes - ending up in Istanbul?

I wonder if anyone booked on the MV had gotten their airline tickets yet?

map-lg-RVA120424.jpg

Knowing that the unforeseen can easily change plans for a maiden voyage, we've planned this trip with an eye to letting Oceania handle the changes if they needed to be made; therefore this new, more exciting itinerary came as something of a pleasant surprise to us.

Stan and I, along with Don & Betsy Horner, signed the keel of the Riviera on the first day of her construction (no, you may not see the photograph, as it is horribly unflattering), so naturally we wanted to be on Riviera's first trip, but the original itinerary (Barcelona to Athens) was decidedly not the draw.

Besides, they're giving each passenger a $250 OBC for our trouble, and we get the 12 day cruise for the same price as we were paying for the original ten days. It may take me a few days to stop smiling. :D

Our TA called about an hour ago. We are going to have to talk this over because I have always wanted to go to Istanbul and Jerusalem, but my husband has reservations about going over there at this time.

I also was looking forward to being on the Maiden

voyage and meeting Jim&Stan and Don & Betsy! :)

Jim&Stan

I admit I wasn't surprised either - we've been hearing that they were not happy with the last minute delivery of the Marina, and wanted to avoid the same situation with the Riviera.

So glad to hear that you've changed your reservations, I just go off the phone with our TA and all changes have been made, so we now end up in Venice - same suite, and hopefully all the same fellow cruisers.

(It must be 4 o'clock somewhere in the world!!)

So glad to hear that you've changed your reservations, I just go off the phone with our TA and all changes have been made, so we now end up in Venice - same suite, and hopefully all the same fellow cruisers.

quote]

Doesn't the new revised schedule sailing the 24th end up in Istanbul?

I thought Don posted the other day they were ahead of schedule??

Is it the ship's delivery schedule or the ports that is the problem?

not that i am on the cruise anyway:(

quote]

Doesn't the new revised schedule sailing the 24th end up in Istanbul?

It does - but the SECOND cruise ends up in Venice - (a B2B)

Jim & Stan,

Will you have to start a new Roll Call or can you just change the date? We have decided we are probably going to stay on the "new" maiden voyage, too! :)

If you contact CC admin they will change the dates for you

We are in quite a dilemma! We have purchased our air plus put deposits down on two rentals before our original cruise in Southern France. I do have cruise insurance but do not know if any of this would qualify. Can someone please enlighten me as to why this new itinerary is so special. We really wanted to see Rome and had all the tours lined up. We can cancel these with this much notice. We could always go to France, take the train to Rome, and then fly to Athens, but that would mean we would be away longer and would be more costly.

Again, those who are more informed than I (I have just spent the last few months researching the old ports!) please tell us the advantages to the new itinerary. Some are obvious but some are not.

Thanks.

Pearl

We, too, are going to remain with the Maiden Voyage. Boy that would have been fabulous had the Maiden Voyage been the one from Istanbul to Venice!!!!!!!!

We, too, were letting O handle the air this time because of it being the "maiden," but I think it is great that they will consider paying the change fees for those who did their own air.

Not all that surprising, given the recent events in Greece.

Didn't some posters here express those very wishes - ending up in Istanbul?

I wonder if anyone booked on the MV had gotten their airline tickets yet?

Airline tickets are being reimbursed

Jancruz1

Archived