Safe to carry my Nikon D90?

I keep reading about thieves in Barcelona. We were there in 2008. I had a decent point and shoot camera back then and never felt I had to worry, but have upgraded to a DSLR. Just wondering how others have made out carrying their good camera equipment in Barcelona. I would hate to think I can't take my pictures with this camera.

Thieves in Barcelona are sneaky not physically dangerous. They want to take things from people who are not watching their belongings not take them out of your hands soooo if you hold your camera I'd expect you to be OK. Just don't put it down somewhere on a table in a cafe or on the ground and out of your sight!!

I had the same fear. After shelling out so much money for a DSLR I fretted with whether or not to take it. So glad I did. The pictures were AMAZING. Looking back, no way I would have trusted my point and shoot to give me the quality that Nikon/Canon DSLR's gives, especially for editing purposes.

What we did was add it to our homeowners' policy in the event it was lost or stolen. It changed my premium a total of $1. I did invest in a pacsafe camera strap as well ($20) for peace of mind and often had it around my neck. Other times I kept it in the camera bag. Never had a problem.

I agree that most thieves/pickpockets do not want a confrontation. With that said, there are some that are very bold and will snatch things out of your hands. This happened to a colleague of mine. Not sure if it's true but I also heard on these boards of a motorist trying to make off with a woman's purse and she fought to hold onto it, only to injure herself. Not sure if she was able to retain her purse, but it can happen.

This whole pickpocket thing while real and a risk is so blown out of propsective. Almost anywhere you go with lots of tourist will be risk and Barcelona has probably more opportunistic thieves than most heavily traveled places. IMHO as long as one is smart and aware the risk here is no different than say NYC or LA, not at all like Tokyo and Japan for example, but few places are.

At the end of my cruise 3 years ago I was tired of doing anymore shooting and left it to my two kids 11 and 13 at the time. They carried my D300 and D40 around everywhere for one and half days including infamous Las Ramblas, no issues. I did keep a watchful eye ;)

I have to agree, though I'm not a peeper the quality from a DSLR is superior in dynamic range than all but the most expensive P&S. The more I shoot the more I'm willing to bring my heavy DSLR even on long hikes to hazardous places

I keep reading about thieves in Barcelona. We were there in 2008. I had a decent point and shoot camera back then and never felt I had to worry, but have upgraded to a DSLR. Just wondering how others have made out carrying their good camera equipment in Barcelona. I would hate to think I can't take my pictures with this camera.

1833511115_4725_BarcelonaLasRamblas.jpg.d5b30b555ee14c7e819e61304dbbed73.jpg

It is fine to take your D90 but keep it close to you.

On our visit to Barcelona in 2010 someone was carrying a camera bag with a camera and other items in it and two people ripped it off his shoulder.

So, just hold the camera close to you and not say just on your shoulder.

Keith

I am going to take it but heed the warnings. I have a nice crumpler bag that the strap goes around the body. My husband usually carries that for me and while I'm shooting it never leaves my hands. I think I might buy a disposable just for those moments when I might ask someone else to take our photo as we are traveling by ourselves in Paris before meeting up with friends in Barcelona.

Happy shootings, remember always keep your bag on the front, flap down and hand over the bag, especially in crowded areas.

My tip for getting others to take pictures is to get another tourist, but be cautious as the best pickpockers often are pretending to be tourists. ALWAYS avoid or be extra cautious of the ones that offer to take your picture!

I am going to take it but heed the warnings. I have a nice crumpler bag that the strap goes around the body. My husband usually carries that for me and while I'm shooting it never leaves my hands. I think I might buy a disposable just for those moments when I might ask someone else to take our photo as we are traveling by ourselves in Paris before meeting up with friends in Barcelona.

This whole pickpocket thing while real and a risk is so blown out of propsective. Almost anywhere you go with lots of tourist will be risk and Barcelona has probably more opportunistic thieves than most heavily traveled places. IMHO as long as one is smart and aware ......

Agreed

JB :)

In June, we were in Barcelona for three different days with my Nikon D3100 taking hundreds of pictures all over. The beach, market, major streets and parks, at night, etc., etc. No problems. As posted/noted by others, it is more, potentially, about pickpockets and/or those who are careless with their items, where going.

Barcelona is such a totally super city. Great history, architecture, culture, etc. Below on my live/blog you can see many of the pictures from this scenic and super interesting city. Below are a few of examples/samples from this charming city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 26,330 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a Sunday beach view in Barcelona. This view is looking towards the Arts Hotel, etc.:

BarcelBeachView2ArtsHotel.jpg

There are many narrow, curved streets in these areas of Barcelona. Lots to see, enjoy and experience. :

BarcelOldTownCurvedStreet.jpg

Here’s a contrast between modern art on the major Barcelona street near the harbor and the traditional buildings in the background. Never boring in this great city.:

BarcelModernArtOldTowers.jpg

Placa de Catalunya now has lots of protestors camped out here, but it is a park with lots of great sculpture and nearby spectacular/interesting buildings. Here is one visual sample of small sculpture with the nearby structures in the background.:

BarcelSmallFigureParkBldgBack.jpg

This whole pickpocket thing while real and a risk is so blown out of propsective. Almost anywhere you go with lots of tourist will be risk and Barcelona has probably more opportunistic thieves than most heavily traveled places. IMHO as long as one is smart and aware the risk here is no different than say NYC or LA, not at all like Tokyo and Japan for example, but few places are.

At the end of my cruise 3 years ago I was tired of doing anymore shooting and left it to my two kids 11 and 13 at the time. They carried my D300 and D40 around everywhere for one and half days including infamous Las Ramblas, no issues. I did keep a watchful eye ;)

I have to agree, though I'm not a peeper the quality from a DSLR is superior in dynamic range than all but the most expensive P&S. The more I shoot the more I'm willing to bring my heavy DSLR even on long hikes to hazardous places

check out the lines at the police stations and try telling those tourists that have lost items.

2011 Barcelona voted the worst City in Europe for thieves operating, sad?

such a beautiful city

Dear friends:

As many of you know, we live in Madrid. We are currently spending the summer in the United States.

New York was more or less fine. Because we are accustomed to European time, we wake up very early. It was interesting to have breakfast at 5 am in the middle of Times Square and see all of the homeless and drunks sleeping there right at those tables they've put in the new pedestrian areas.

In Washington DC it was quite fun having breakfast at McDonalds right near the White House, which had no security guard, and had the bums, beggars and vagabonds going from table to table intimidating the customers begging for money. And then there was the beggar sleeping on the floor right outside the front of the White House where all the tourists go, also intimidating us and asking for money. Also, Washington appears to be a sleepy city at night. We took a cab one day after midnight and were shocked at what we saw all around the city -- it looked like a police battle ground.

In Florida right now -- low season here and we are actually afraid to go out after 6 pm -- terrible element all around us after the tourists leave the beach.

So yes, please take your normal precautions but remember Barcelona is really no different from many of your American cities, which in my opinion, as far as crime and violence are concerned, are actually quite worse.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived