LGBT Liberty of the Seas 10-29-2011 Transatlantic Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale (Pt2)

CC Help Jenn

Have been watching CNN about the hurricane... it made me call my friend in Florida who's name happens to be Irene I told her I couldn't forget her today :) Finally heard from friends in NY and they are taking all the necessary precautions.

Did some retail therapy at Macy's today another DKNY top and a GIVENCHY necklace... of course had them on clearance and my $10 off coupon....what a deal :D

Karen I looked at the site, even though we aren't using the train sysem but was confused by the choices. It wasn't just Madrid to Spain so does it depend on where you catch the train and get off in Barcelona on how you select departure and destination.

Gay

LOL, everything about Spanish train travel is confusing. After doing research for months about it, I knew which stations to pick...the main stations: in Madrid, it's Atocha, and in Barcelona, it's Sants. I'm increasing my knowledge of Spain exponentially.....;):D When we arrive in BCN, it'll just be a fairly easy taxi ride to the hotel.

Hoping for the best to all of you in the path of Irene,,,By Morning we should know how most made out. Looks like NYC should get hit by Early Sunday AM. Good news here on the West Coast though, Our little league team from Huntington Beach just won the United States LL World Series today and will play Japan on Sunday in Williamports PA.......so that will be on TV on Sunday AM for Bill and Me. We had a great day here in the desert, getting the house ready for next weekend for the 3 day Labor Day weekend. Stay safe everyone!

Mike

9weeks today..........................whoop, whoop.

only 8 shopping weekends to go.

Just like to echo everyones comments - to all in the path of Irene and there families - stay safe.

Anyone doing anything exciting this weekend? ?This is my last chance to binge as diet start next week.

Mhairi

Hey Mhairi,

We're with you, 3 months ago I started riding my bike to work for exercise and to start to hopefully losing some weight, Well, last night when I weighed myself...6 out of 7 nights I do that...never on Sat Night....I was 190....23 lbs lighter then Mid May. Now I want to do at least another 10 pounds before the cruise..I think I can do...But Saturday's are my binge days...anything I want to eat I do....and my night to have several drinks..yes ...several...to make up for the week.. ha ha ha.

But still not dieting yet....after our Labor Day Holiday, both Bill and iI will start to crack the WIP...Want to look good on the Flow Rider and at the pools..:)

One thing that helps me is that I take pictures of my Weight and post on FaceBook for all to see...Kind of like my Weight Watchers...only for all to see. We can all do together thru this thread and then when we meet..Have a BIG JUICY SOMETHING TOGETHER TO CELEBRATE :)

Have a great Sunday!

Mike

Thanks Peter for the Invite To Facebook....As you can see I accepted you....You will see our life now here in So Cal....If anybody does facebook, lets become friends....I am on everyday and I am a big Picture telling guy...nothing to hide.

Mike Barngrover

Huntington Beach Ca

Age 52

I think there are 2 of us on FB so pick me from above.

Mike

Good morning all, watching the progress of Irene on tv while eating my porridge.

Mike, well done on the great loss. After my 3 days staying with friends last week, when I went to WW on Thursday I had re-gained a pound. So my 5 lb loss in 3 weeks is back to 4. However, I am really motivated at present on the food front. Unfortunately a resurgence of a post viral fatigue that I suffered last autumn/winter has left me not able to exercise much again at the moment. I am not admitting just what I weigh but suffice to say I am still 40+ lbs above a WW goal.

Part of my weight problems stem from yo-yoing so much. I do tend to go way off plan when away and we take lots of holidays. I don't eat too much from stress, boredom or worry. Just greed.

Corinne

Its probably just a fluke but the only place that Ive had issues with purchases is the terminal shop that sells wine in Barcelona. The clerks were using an ancient looking credit card reader and told me the card wouldnt clear. I knew no reason for that so they ran it again. Still it wouldnt show 'good'. Hubby was looking at me like it was time to go so I paid cash. Both charges showed up on credit card bill. It took ages to get it straightened out. Lesson learned from the credit card company if that happens is to have the merchant immediately call the number on the back of the card.

Matthew, Peter, daughter has decided to stay at the Ruebens and has given me their next destination. Would you believe its Manchester for two nights? They are looking for a more reasonable hotel in a nice part of town. A good restaurant near by would be good but not necessary as they will have a car. Night life nearby isnt necessary as Connor goes down about 8. Any ideas?

Hi there from the Irish Sea! Currently crossing to Dublin onboard Stena Line HSS Explorer.

As for hotels, it depends what their budget is and whether they wish to be in the city centre (it is very compact and easy to walk around) or outside the city. Let me know and hopefully I can make some suggestions when we get back home.

Edited by peteukmcr

Thanks Peter for the Invite To Facebook....As you can see I accepted you....You will see our life now here in So Cal....If anybody does facebook, lets become friends....I am on everyday and I am a big Picture telling guy...nothing to hide.

Hi Mike, yes I see you on FB and will catch up later.

For everyone else in the path of Irene, stay safe.

Karen - well done on your AVE tickets.

The Premierinn Manchester (Portland Street) has a good deal at the mo £39 per night, I will there 14th and 26th Sept :)

Stay inside and safe all on the East Coast

Peter enjoy your trip.

Heading to Leeds on Tues to visit a friend for two nights, going by train and using the Ribblesdale Viaduct Route which I have wanted to do for years, fingers crossed for a nice day as the Scenery is supposed to be spectacular.

Hey Mhairi,

We're with you, 3 months ago I started riding my bike to work for exercise and to start to hopefully losing some weight, Well, last night when I weighed myself...6 out of 7 nights I do that...never on Sat Night....I was 190....23 lbs lighter then Mid May. Now I want to do at least another 10 pounds before the cruise..I think I can do...But Saturday's are my binge days...anything I want to eat I do....and my night to have several drinks..yes ...several...to make up for the week.. ha ha ha.

But still not dieting yet....after our Labor Day Holiday, both Bill and iI will start to crack the WIP...Want to look good on the Flow Rider and at the pools..:)

One thing that helps me is that I take pictures of my Weight and post on FaceBook for all to see...Kind of like my Weight Watchers...only for all to see. We can all do together thru this thread and then when we meet..Have a BIG JUICY SOMETHING TOGETHER TO CELEBRATE :)

Have a great Sunday!

Mike

That's a good idea, although I'm not brave enough to post my weight on Facebook.:)

Feeling a bit delicate today after a little too much wine last night - seemed like a good idea at the time.

Just going to laze about today.

We've stayed in a number of hotels and find the Britania and Sachas often have offers on and they're right in the city centre - Rooms are a bit tired but clean and they have great buffet breakfasts.

The Arora International in Princess St is a lovely boutique hotel - some of the rooms have Cliff Richard memorabilla in them! (we didn't have one of those).

Nicest hotel was the Marriott Victoria & Albert on Water Street - nice comfy high beds.

With them having the car, maybe something outwith the city centre would be best as parking charges in the city centre can be steep. Tulip Inn at the Trafford Centre and The Britannia Country house hotel were both nice and there was plenty parking.

The Premierinn Manchester (Portland Street) has a good deal at the mo £39 per night, I will there 14th and 26th Sept :)

Stay inside and safe all on the East Coast

Peter enjoy your trip.

Heading to Leeds on Tues to visit a friend for two nights, going by train and using the Ribblesdale Viaduct Route which I have wanted to do for years, fingers crossed for a nice day as the Scenery is supposed to be spectacular.

Hi George, I hope the PremierInn Portland St has improved as it has had some issues recently, the one on Mosely St is far better. IHMO The one on Portland St uses the NCP carpark on Oxford St for discounted parking.

We've stayed in a number of hotels and find the Britania and Sachas often have offers on and they're right in the city centre - Rooms are a bit tired but clean and they have great buffet breakfasts.

The Arora International in Princess St is a lovely boutique hotel - some of the rooms have Cliff Richard memorabilla in them! (we didn't have one of those).

Nicest hotel was the Marriott Victoria & Albert on Water Street - nice comfy high beds.

With them having the car, maybe something outwith the city centre would be best as parking charges in the city centre can be steep. Tulip Inn at the Trafford Centre and The Britannia Country house hotel were both nice and there was plenty parking.

Sorry but IMHO I would not recommend any of the Britannia hotel chain and that includes Sachas. There are numerous issues with these hotels, not least that no investment has been in them for years. The central Manchester one is to be avoided at all costs and it is known by mancunians as the 'Britannia Knocking Shop' for obvious reasons. That's why there are numerous offers on them. Some are also known to provide budget rooms that do not have any windows!

I agree the Aurora is a good hotel and was used extensively by ex employer for both clients and employees.

Do beware of the Britannia Hotel at the airport in Manchester. It often comes up on sites as a low cost option. It has seen better days, is very tired and not somewhere we would choose.

Corinne

I agree Corinne, this is an old PostHouse hotel and has just basically been renamed.

Hotels I would recommend are:

Hilton (tallest building in Manchester)

Radisson Edwardian

Novotel

Malmaison

Ramada Piccadilly (multi million pound refurbishment of the rooms)

Aurora

Crowne Plaza

Hotels I would not recommend:

Britannia

Portland Thistle

Ibis (any)

Travelodge

Midland

Palace

Budget hotels I would recommend:

PremierInn Mosely St

Holiday Inn Express Oxford St

Jurys Inn Bridgewater St

There are many 'aparthotels' in Manchester which are apartment type hotels that provide much more space for little extra cost and include full kitchen and laundry facilities. The best of these is 'Roomzzz'.

Hope that helps.

Talking of hotel nights, just thought I would post on here (as opposed to the main board) what happened when I put a question on there about day rooms near Tampa airport. Kathy and Ron (Katron), who are joining us on the Orange Bus Tour in Tenerife, have offered a night's accomodation and a relaxing day with them in Lakeland. They are about a 50 minute drive from the airport. We are bowled over at their generosity as we have not met them before but just have these boards in common.

This LOST cruise is becoming like an extended family. The reason I don't want to post about it on the main RC is that there are far more people who lurk there and those of us here seem to be getting to know one another much better, with fewer numbers.

I felt really good last night when we received the invite and have since exchanged several chatty emails. It restores one' faith in human nature. :)

Corinne

Peter

I was going to stay in the Mint but at £129 a night and the Premier inn at £39 there was no question, what issues did they have so that i'm prepared ? I also looked at staying overnight at the Airport but thought a few drinks in Canal Street would be more fun, car parking will not be an issue as I am coming by train.

The Travelodge Manchester is the most DISGUSTING HOTEL I have stayed in anywhere in the World, we only lasted one night.

Talking of hotel nights, just thought I would post on here (as opposed to the main board) what happened when I put a question on there about day rooms near Tampa airport. Kathy and Ron (Katron), who are joining us on the Orange Bus Tour in Tenerife, have offered a night's accomodation and a relaxing day with them in Lakeland. They are about a 50 minute drive from the airport. We are bowled over at their generosity as we have not met them before but just have these boards in common.

This LOST cruise is becoming like an extended family. The reason I don't want to post about it on the main RC is that there are far more people who lurk there and those of us here seem to be getting to know one another much better, with fewer numbers.

I felt really good last night when we received the invite and have since exchanged several chatty emails. It restores one' faith in human nature. :)

Corinne

How lovely of Kathy & Ron to invite you to stay in their home...Our song for the cruise should be "We Are Family" ;)...

Hi everyone....reporting in after the storm and unfortunately we are without power, and are hearing it will be up to 5 days before everyone is restored. I'm hoping we'll have ours' back soon, but we'll deal with whatever we have to. We're with friends now, and will probably be back and forth until we can be home permanently.

We had no damage to the house, the new roof kept the water out, and there are trees down all over, but fortunately nothing right near our home. A few homes down didn't fare quite as well.

Hope everyone is OK and I'll check back later.

Peter

I was going to stay in the Mint but at £129 a night and the Premier inn at £39 there was no question, what issues did they have so that i'm prepared ? I also looked at staying overnight at the Airport but thought a few drinks in Canal Street would be more fun, car parking will not be an issue as I am coming by train.

The Travelodge Manchester is the most DISGUSTING HOTEL I have stayed in anywhere in the World, we only lasted one night.

Hi George, from a friend of mine who is in the hotel trade told me the local health and safety officer nearly closed that hotel down due to cleanliness issues, but obviously they got their act together. I'm sure it will be fine.

Peter - I'm in shock - we've been staying in a knocking shop over the last couple of years.:eek: Anytime we've stayed in the Britannia, it's been in a superior room and as I said, the rooms were a bit tired but clean. The guests were mostly Man Utd fans or visiting fans as you see them all wandering about with their football tops on.

It'll be the Aurora or the V&A in future.

Mhairi

Peter - I'm in shock - we've been staying in a knocking shop over the last couple of years.:eek: Anytime we've stayed in the Britannia, it's been in a superior room and as I said, the rooms were a bit tired but clean. The guests were mostly Man Utd fans or visiting fans as you see them all wandering about with their football tops on.

It'll be the Aurora or the V&A in future.

Mhairi

Sorry for the shock, but to be honest I'd be in shock if most of my fellow guests were in football shirts, regardless of the team they support. That unfortunately gives me the wrong impression of the class of people in the hotel (present company excepted) and I'd have no desire to be in the same establishment regardless of the level of room I had reserved. The adverts on the outside of this hotel even now are enough to strike a cord of horror through me (£2 drinks all night) that tells me the class of people who will be wandering around the corridors of the hotel.

Maybe it's because I'm a gay man but my expectations are far higher than this and so would never recommend this or similar establishments to anyone visiting my great city for the 1st time.

Hi Karen, glad you have someone to stay with I spoke with my friend Joanne who lives near you yesterday and at that time they were okay...she is still hoping you will call and get together...

CORINNE people on CC are our extended family [ well not all LOL] we have had some stay with us and us stay with them so I agree with JILL WE ARE FAMILY !!

PETE looking forward to photos sound like you are having a good time.

9weeks today..........................whoop, whoop.

only 8 shopping weekends to go. LOVE YOUR WAY OF THINKING..........

Just like to echo everyones comments - to all in the path of Irene and there families - stay safe.

Anyone doing anything exciting this weekend? ?This is my last chance to binge as diet start next week.

Mhairi

Corinne

That truly is awesome. WE have made such wonderful friends from cruising!!!

Karen sorry to hear about your electricity BUT so glad your safe and sound!!!

We have electricity but have damage too. Our neighbors tree decided to fall this morning. It was a huge ash tree. The path it took was right across their backyard, wiping out their new fence and smash on top of our deck at the slider doors. It didn't even damage the screen to our slider but it wiped out the rails of our deck. We do not know if we have structural damage to the deck and won't know that until they remove the huge limbs that fell on top of it. Guess I will call the insurance company tomorrow. There are two other trees that are swaying in the wind and look like they are about to come down on top of our house. We had someone come by the house and he gave us a price to take down all the limbs on 3 trees and remove all the tree damage from the storm. The price was good but I am trying to get another price from someone else to know how good it really was. If the other company doesn't call back, I will give this guy the job. We already know him. He put in our driveway last year and did an excellent job. This is the tree part of his company. Cha ching, cha ching...

Off to have my gall bladder removed in the morning. Will post again as soon as I can sit comfortably.

Darlene