Special Diets/Accommodations on Smaller Ships?

Especially interested in smaller lines such as Louis Cruises, Windstar and Oceania for their Greek Isles/Instanbul cruises. Louis actually has the cruise we're looking more closely at.

DD requires a Gluten-free diet. We've never had a problem on the larger lines (Carnival & RCCL). I do not want to go on Princess, Costa, Holland, or Celebrity for reasons I will not go into. When I started checking itineraries for next late spring/early summer, the smaller lines had the best port stops. We definitely want Instanbul, Santorini and Rhodes as stops. How do the small ships do at handling the special diet requests?

Also, DD is disabled (similar to mild autism) & requires insulin. We've always been able to have a fridge on the larger lines. Will the smaller lines provide this when needed? She does extremely well cruising and loves ancient sites.

I realize I can write the lines and ask them and will do so, but I know that lines tend to say they can do something when in reality it does not work very well. I was wondering if any of the ones on this board knows specifically how the special diets and needs work on the smaller ships.

On Oceania all the cabins have fridges

Get your TA to call the special needs dept at least 60 days in advance to let them know you require gluten free foods so they have a good supply onboard

They do their best to accommodate special dietary requirements

FAQ's

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

On Oceania all the cabins have fridges

Get your TA to call the special needs dept at least 60 days in advance to let them know you require gluten free foods so they have a good supply onboard

They do their best to accommodate special dietary requirements

FAQ's

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Thanks but actually I don't have a TA. Since we've always done big ship cruises I found it was better if I booked it myself. However, I'm beginning to see that if we want a small ship cruise I need to find a really good TA.

I would telephone Oceania and ask for the special needs department. Likewise with the other companies.

Most cruise lines are sensitive to gluten free diets but you need to establish their defination of the term. Seriously! The US government can't even make a decision on the defination.

Windstar is a much more upscale line and I'm sure can accommodate your dietary needs. Not so sure about Louis. And I doubt Louis has a fridge in the room...But if you are really interested in Louis, I suggest you ask this on the Other Cruise Lines forum, under Cruise Lines A-O, as there are some who have sailed Louis fairly recently and can give you an idea about what they can handle.

You will definitely need a TA, because I don't believe you can book Louis directly. EM

Thanks but actually I don't have a TA. Since we've always done big ship cruises I found it was better if I booked it myself. However, I'm beginning to see that if we want a small ship cruise I need to find a really good TA.

you can always just tell Oceania at the time of booking or call them

I am not sure how old your DD is but they do not have any children's program so that may help or hinder your decision

On Oceania, we sat next to a woman with celiac disease. She found them very accommodating to her dietary issues. She had brought along a loaf of bread and some cookies--every night they served them to her, presented very nicely. Each evening, she met with someone about the next evening's menu.

Especially interested in smaller lines such as Louis Cruises, Windstar and Oceania for their Greek Isles/Instanbul cruises. Louis actually has the cruise we're looking more closely at.

We've sailed Louis Lines and Windstar. There was no fridge in the Louis cabin and I'd be surprised if there was much willingness to accommodate special diets.

There's been a fridge in each of our Windstar cabins and evidence that special dietary needs are catered to where possible.

As an anecdote, to give some idea of the onboard culture, I have two mainstream food items that make me very unwell when I eat them. It's perfectly manageable: I avoid any dish on the menu that includes them. On a Windstar cruise I became unwell in the middle of the night, it was clear to me that I'd accidentally eaten one of the two. Once morning broke I called reception and explained the problem and asked them if it was possible to get a message to the head chef to ask if there was any way the vegetable had been used in one of the dishes I'd eaten the previous night.

An hour later chef met me in person, discussed the problem, detailed all the food I'd eaten and come up with a likely explanation (an offcut of the vegetable that makes me unwell used to make a stock which then appeared during dinner). He then sent word to all restaurant staff that they were to check every meal brought to me, whether the item was listed on the menu or not, to ensure the problem didn't recur.

I'm sorry to say that chef isn't aboard a Windstar ship at the moment but hopefully the attitude remains. I really couldn't have asked for better care at the time.

Hope you find something that works for your family,

Mands

We would not be interested in childrens' facilities. But one DD is 19 yoa and would prefer at least some passengers in early 20's. Other DD is the one who is disabled (similar to autism) and requires a gluten-free diet. She is 21 yoa and does everything with either us or her sister.

The ports are what interests us. But we would also have to have DD's special diet taken care of. Really wish Voyager of the Seas was not moving to Asia. That cruise would have worked.

We would not be interested in childrens' facilities. But one DD is 19 yoa and would prefer at least some passengers in early 20's. Other DD is the one who is disabled (similar to autism) and requires a gluten-free diet. She is 21 yoa and does everything with either us or her sister.

The ports are what interests us. But we would also have to have DD's special diet taken care of. Really wish Voyager of the Seas was not moving to Asia. That cruise would have worked.

My experience with Windstar in the Med (four cruises) is that I don't recall anyone in their early 20's, but there's a big age mix and many interesting people. We've had a couple family groups with children in their early teens, but you never know who will book on your cruise.

Not sure it's that important, as this you say, the ports are the most important. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Another cruise line to look at might be Thomson, who have been doing cruises up and down the Turkish coast, and including some Greek isles- they would probably be able to cope with diet and other needs.

Jo.

Archived