Please tell me freestyle isn’t going to be the cruise from hell!!

Pet

Most of our cruises have been with more traditional lines (Cunard, Celebrity, P&O) usually balcony cabins. Recently the DW aspired to greater things, so when we saw a good deal on a courtyard villa suite on NCL Jade to the Canaries next March we signed up despite reservations over what we had read about free style cruising. The question is are we going to feel out of place in the casual “do what you like” environment, with no regular dining companions to talk to, or will we look over dressed in our normal cruising clothes, let alone formal nights, (DW would lock me in the cabin rather than let me go to dinner in shorts!), perhaps spending the week hidden away in our gated community, or Haven, as they have recently rebranded it? Any re-assurances much appreciated. Many thanks. :confused:

I can only tell you based on our own experiences on 6 NCL cruises so far.

We LOVE freestyle. We are not 'stuck' to an assigned dining time - go when you're hungry, not when you're told to.

We are not stuck at the same table with people we might not find enjoyable. Or maybe they don't find us enjoyable.

However, if you WANT to dine with strangers and have conversations with people you don't yet know, you will be given that chance. Go to the dining room during dining hours and ask to share a table. You can be seated with another couple or a group of folks. DH and I (along with my parents when they are up to it) like to be by ourselves and have a quiet dinner where we can talk about any subject we want without worrying about offending anyone. Or having to listen to someone drone on about something that doesn't interest us. We could get that at an Amway convention.

You can dress more casually than on a more formal line. Sounds like your DW has that taken care of!:)

As I said, we truly love the freestyle experience and in 4 weeks from tomorrow we will be enjoying it again!:D

Most of our cruises have been with more traditional lines (Cunard, Celebrity, P&O) usually balcony cabins. Recently the DW aspired to greater things, so when we saw a good deal on a courtyard villa suite on NCL Jade to the Canaries next March we signed up despite reservations over what we had read about free style cruising. The question is are we going to feel out of place in the casual “do what you like” environment, with no regular dining companions to talk to, or will we look over dressed in our normal cruising clothes, let alone formal nights, (DW would lock me in the cabin rather than let me go to dinner in shorts!), perhaps spending the week hidden away in our gated community, or Haven, as they have recently rebranded it? Any re-assurances much appreciated. Many thanks. :confused:

NCL certainly is not nearly as high-end as Cunard or Celebrity...but hardly the "cruise from hell"!!

Without knowing what your "normal cruising clothes" are, it's hard to say -- but if you're used to tuxedoes and long gowns, then yes, you'll be out of place on NCL. If you can dress in more casual clothes without going to shorts, you'll be fine!

Think of it this way -- it's MUCH easier to pack when you don't have to take special clothes just for one or two dinners aboard. And yes, if you DO feel out of place you can always have dinner brought to you!

Being in the courtyard you will enjoy the suite life. We have good friends who have cruised in suites on all the major lines and they loved the NCL suite life. Freestyle is exactly what it says do what you want when you want. Your Butler will take excellent care of you and get you where you want when you want. Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is excellent. Interesting we are wondering the same thing about Celebrity, having always cruised on NCL we are about to book our first Celebrity cruise and are wondering if we will enjoy the regimented life.

Being in the courtyard you will enjoy the suite life. We have good friends who have cruised in suites on all the major lines and they loved the NCL suite life. Freestyle is exactly what it says do what you want when you want. Your Butler will take excellent care of you and get you where you want when you want. Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is excellent. Interesting we are wondering the same thing about Celebrity, having always cruised on NCL we are about to book our first Celebrity cruise and are wondering if we will enjoy the regimented life.

I don't know what it is called but there is an open seating option on other lines. On Carnival we went when we wanted and only sat with who we wanted to sit with, also the line for the "Your Time Dining" was far shorter (almost non existant).

My dear fellow. I quite know what you mean, and you are spot on about your upcoming cruise being much different than what you have experienced in the past. Hardly anyone Dresses properly for any meal these days, although "shorts" are perhaps going to a bit of the extreme.

At least you will have the proper amount of silverware at table, and cloth napkins! I'm afraid the rest of the cutlery will not pass your muster, especially the stamped metal ice cream serving cups. No gold rimmed goblets or plates I should think, and of course no candles any where to be seen.

I would encourage you to bring your finery and set a proper example at table of what should be the traditional attire. For a bit of fun, rent an ensemble such as dark navy blazer with white slacks and shoes, and if you can, find a yachtsman cap. If you wear glasses so much the better, but if not a monocle is certainly to be recommended. You will then command attention and respect wherever you are in the dining room. Read up on a few of the past America Cup races to provide interesting conversation about your own racing boat.

Pay a few dollars to the Maitre'D for a small table. Print your own VIP RESERVED tent card and put that on your table while dining. This is far better than staying in your "courtyard" and having the buttler attend to all your meals.

It won't be "hell" but it will be different - hope you enjoy it - most of all HAVE FUN!!!!

Wow i have to chim in on this one...

Dear OP...

1st off a vacation is what you make of it.. Yes you could run into bad luck like the ship breaking down or you flight is canceled.. But thats out of your control

Other than that your cruise is what you make of it.. If you go in with a sour mind set than no your cruise wont be enjoyable you will nick pick eveything different.. Yes NCL is a great line I have cruised 2x recently and booked a 3rd.. Yes I cruise NCL because of freestyle Hey i might not be hungry at 7pm set dinning everyday.. And My DW would have a heart attack if i didnt wear shorts to dinner.. Even on formal nights.. If you wanna dress up in a tux or evening dress than go ahead thats Awesome but for me I just wanna be comfortable... And enjoy a good meal.. Im on vacation not in a court room... Ill leave the suites at home.. Top reason to FREESTYLE.. Im free to do whatever!

If you can even imagine it could be the cruise from hell...don't do it. Why even sign up for something with those possible expectations? Stay with what you are comfortable with and enjoy. I've got this funny feeling you're not going to like what you see on NCL............although a cruise with the conditions as you imply you enjoy....and you certainly should.....to me would be the cruise from hell. We each enjoy different levels of lifestyle. Stick with what you like.

I have been on three cruises with NCL and have booked a fourth. We chose them mainly because of the Freestyle concept. Neither of us likes to dress up and enjoyed the freedom of not having to wear dresses and suits and be forced to eat dinner at a fixed time with a fixed group of people.

Now that NCL has introduced The Haven with its suite life and courtyard you can be as exclusive as you want. You can choose to dine in the main dining room with the riff raff or stay in you courtyard and dine in your tux with the others that are living the Courtyard Suite life. The Courtyard also has its own bar and gathering area. Perhaps you will make some friends in the other suites and you can set up a dining group and eat at the same time each day, while you are at it you can even have seats reserved for you at the theater.

Believe me this will not be a Cruise from Hell - unless you choose to make it one. Just relax and enjoy the Suite Life on NCL.

I loved my cruise on Celebrity and as I own clothing to fit all occasion, I packed to dress up for dinner. I adored the Normandie and the elements that combined to make it the finest meal at sea that I have encounterd, cuisine, atmosphere and service, they were all top notch.

That being said, it has been a breath of fresh air cruising NCL. I LOVE THE SUITE PERKS, but enjoy the flexibility in all aspects, wardrobe being just one of them. Resort casual is nice and it makes packing and schlepping luggage much more manageable. I might choose to pack a dressy outfit and some Louboutins for Le Bistro or a long sundress and sandals for Moderno. Either works! Be yourself and you will be fine. But if other pax's attire offends you, you might be in for worries.

About meeting people... I arranged our Meet & Greet on the Sun and made friends who we dined with on occasion. I am also very active in the trivia game and the two couples who joined our team were delightful. We would have them up to our suite for afternoon cocktails and drinks as well as meeting them for dinner quite a few times. We keep in touch and hope one day to cruise together again.

So, although different, it depends more on your attitude as to whether it will be a trip from hell or just a new experience. You decide.

Hello Pet

You obviously have been on decent cruise lines and know good crusing and food....its been awhile since I taken NCL but have relatives and friends that have gone twice the past two years.

I think having the courtyard villa suite will definately make your cruise more enjoyable and from what I hear they give you nice perks having that stateoom. You will have the courtyard villa and be able to meet people there and have "get togethers" perhaps even plan your dinners together.

We also are not into that go for dinner when you want thing, we also like to have a waiter that knows us and knows what we want right away and what we like....you will find NCL to be casual especially to the cruise lines that you have cruised on.

I have to disagree a little bit when people say you make the vacation what you want it to be....I say this because I understand what your saying, you have your cruise clothing, you like to meet friends and enjoy dinner together nightly, etc. I can relate to that but I want to say I am positive you will find people to mingle with and become friends especially in the areas that you have perks such as the villa court so you not worry and know your in a beautiful suite and will meet others :)

For me, Freestyle is like being at home (unfortunately with less perks ;)). When you are hungry, you go eat.

If you go out to a restaurant, you dress appropriately,and the cruise is no different.

No other cruise line has Suite perks like NCL.

Have fun!

Wow, am I the only poster that is seeing a disaster waiting to happen. OP if you do choose to stay with this choice might I suggest you adjust your expectations to 0.

If you go expecting what you are very used to in the way of your "cruise clothing", whatever that may mean and expect others to dress like you. I fear you will be disappointed.

If you go expecting that you will be sat with strangers at dinner (although NCL will try and meet your request if others are willing). I fear you will be disappointed.

If you go expecting your "gated community" to be of like mind. I fear you will be disappointed since I have seen suite life passengers who also claim to push the boundaries and wear there most casual clothes to dine in.

If you go expecting it to be "the cruise from he$$". I fear it will be.

If you go expecting it to be a new adventure and have positive thoughts. Then you will most likely have a fantastic cruise.

Three words Courtyard. Villa. Suite. :D Buddy, you will never leave NCL after this. Any problem with reservations, you have your consierge. If you think the rest of the NCL cruisers are low class (just kidding, I'm referring to another thread in jest) don't worry, your butler can serve you in your suite. You don't even have to worry about chair hogs. You listened to your wife, and she is always correct.;)

We usually travel with a group of 8 to 12 so dinner is always planned. We make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants and dress for dinner..not necessarily suits but nice slacks shirts for guys dresses or pant suits for women.....and I really don't pay attention or care what others are wearing......it's their business not mine...but the restaurants do not allow shorts and tank tops for dinner except at the buffet....somehow i can't see you at the buffet.:D:D

Let us know how you enjoy you cruise please.

I thought I would miss the assigned seating, etc when first we switched to freestyle but now I can't go back. The assigned seating does lend itself to friendships but so does the CC role calls. The relaxed atmosphere allows you to meet people everywhere and you can meet up for dinner any time you wish. Plus, the suite life? FURGITABOUTIT!!

Enjoy then come back and let us know!

.but the restaurants do not allow shorts and tank tops for dinner except at the buffet....somehow i can't see you at the buffet.:D:D

shorts are allowed in the smaller MDR and in all dining venues but Le Bistro.

and you might even see them there....they were on our recent sailings on the SUN and the STAR--this will vary ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

Welcome, to the dark side, LOL. Considering the lines that you listed, I've never sailed on either, you will likely find it very different. I was used to the traditional dining when I tried NCL but now that I have booked returns to it (traditional dining - Carnival), I'm kind of nervous.

When you enter the MDR, you can ask to be seated with a group and they will accommodate. I did this on my last cruise and it was like past sailings. At the same time, it was nice choosing the dining room that I wanted each night and the time that I would eat. I suspect that you may have trouble going back. Once you go Freestyle.... Enjoy your cruise. :D

DSCF1342.jpg

MDR - Norwegian Sky

DSCF2066-1.jpg

Casual Dining (MDR) Norwegian Pearl

shorts are allowed in the smaller MDR and in all dining venues but Le Bistro.

and you might even see them there....they were on our recent sailings on the SUN and the STAR--this will vary ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

Thanks for clearing this up. This NCL-newby was about to get confused! :)

Archived