Flight costs in Canada

nscruiser2005

The cost of flights is one reason we will probably always book a balcony, even if it means cruising a little less.

Flying from Calgary to Miami, I can't seem to justify spending more for an 8 HOUR flight, than a 7 DAY cruise!!!

Happy Cruising!!

Haha same here!!!

It's not just those living in Canada that flights are so high. We live in Maine and they are becoming outrageous. We don't even fly out of our local airport anymore since it is so expensive. We travel 2 hours to Portland and even out of Portland, flights on the weekend in March 2012 are $500 each. For the past two years, the hotel we stay at in Portland (Howard Johnson's) has many NB license plates in the park and fly parking lot. The shuttle driver told us that many from NB are flying out of Portland even though it is sometimes an 8-hour drive but if they have a family, it is worth the savings. I find that the cost of the cruise typically is never the issue...it's the cost of airfare and South Beach hotels!

It's not just those living in Canada that flights are so high. We live in Maine and they are becoming outrageous. We don't even fly out of our local airport anymore since it is so expensive. We travel 2 hours to Portland and even out of Portland, flights on the weekend in March 2012 are $500 each. For the past two years, the hotel we stay at in Portland (Howard Johnson's) has many NB license plates in the park and fly parking lot. The shuttle driver told us that many from NB are flying out of Portland even though it is sometimes an 8-hour drive but if they have a family, it is worth the savings. I find that the cost of the cruise typically is never the issue...it's the cost of airfare and South Beach hotels!

Bangor is so much more expensive. Usually we can get roundtrip for $250-300 if you book far out of Portland. Hopefully once SouthWest moves in those prices will go down even further.

Bangor is so much more expensive. Usually we can get roundtrip for $250-300 if you book far out of Portland. Hopefully once SouthWest moves in those prices will go down even further.

Any idea when Southwest will start taking bookings out of Portland?

Any idea when Southwest will start taking bookings out of Portland?

The airport expansion has been going on for over a year, supposed to be wrapped up in the next couple months which will double the amount of gates at the aiport. As I understand it SouthWest has already bid for at least a couple gates, so I would imagine this winter at the earliest?

I totally sympathize, we live in Nova Scotia as well and find the prices outrageous. We are cruising in November and booked our flights almost a year ago @ $470 return + taxes for three, this is a great price compared to what the prices are now but still more than the cost of the cruise. Keep an eye on West Jet and Air Canada for fall seat sales. You could also look into Continental and Delta and clear US customs in Halifax vs Toronto. Good Luck!!!

For you folks in Ottawa, have you thought of driving to Syracuse? I noticed that on USair airfares in January are 198 each way excluding taxes to Miami, fly out on Friday and returning on a Saturday

It works great actually, especially since parking at Syracuse is relatively cheap. We did this in March and the savings for 4 of us made the associated costs a total non-factor.

You know when you put it t hat way it really is a savings. So if I don`t have the points it is something I am definitely going to look into. Thanks for the information, got me thinking.

We just looked at our receipts for our upcoming flights in February. Round trip from Portland including taxes is $330 per person. Pretty damn good when you look at the Air Canada price of $1010 per person.

As I mentioned in my other note you have to include hotel and gas and so on because we're driving to Portland and have 2 hotels. Total cost for the 2 of us to drive to Portland is:

Park and Fly the first night is $120

Hotel for the last night is $55 (LA Quinta - great deal).

Gas and food expenses will be about $150 (only 2 of us this time around).

Total cost to fly out of Portland: $985

We're saving $1000 by driving to Portland. NO-BRAINER!

Now, looking at flights out of Halifax I see Continental has a flight for $780 per person. So for 2 that would be $1560. That is getting handy to be competitive. If someone had to drive form Halifax, the total cost to Portland would be probably closer to $1200, flights included. You'd have to ask yourself if your time is worth $360. I'd have a hard decision on that one.

I use Kayak for all my research.

For those seeing outrageous prices, it seems like you are trying to book too early. Unless you are travelling during Xmas or perhaps March break, the prices don't start dropping until about 3 months out. I've flown to Florida 7 times in the past 2-3 years and the most I've paid from Halifax is $400 return including taxes and fees. The last 3 times it's been less than $375 including one time booking for 6 people. It takes patience and a little bit of work to watch the prices. You can even watch the numbers of seats available on all the airlines web sites and so you can see how well the flight is selling. I'm currently watching for flights in February but they are still $800-$1,000 return. I'll watch and the prices will drop sometime before Xmas. My trigger point is around $200-$220 to Florida and around $160-$175 coming home (including taxes.)

It just takes some patience. If you book too early you will overpay.

For those seeing outrageous prices, it seems like you are trying to book too early. Unless you are travelling during Xmas or perhaps March break, the prices don't start dropping until about 3 months out. I've flown to Florida 7 times in the past 2-3 years and the most I've paid from Halifax is $400 return including taxes and fees. The last 3 times it's been less than $375 including one time booking for 6 people. It takes patience and a little bit of work to watch the prices. You can even watch the numbers of seats available on all the airlines web sites and so you can see how well the flight is selling. I'm currently watching for flights in February but they are still $800-$1,000 return. I'll watch and the prices will drop sometime before Xmas. My trigger point is around $200-$220 to Florida and around $160-$175 coming home (including taxes.)

We've flown from Portland to Miami or FLL 5 times in the last 4 years and we always book almost as soon as the flights come out. We've never paid higher than $330 for flights. I always watch the prices after we book to see how it plays out and for us it always goes up. For our upcoming February cruise the cheapest price right now is sitting at $366 and we paid $330.

I find that prices always trend upward but of course there are other factors then at play too. If the economy continues to suffer, a lot of people may stay home and this could have a lowering effect on air prices.

For us though we always try to get our air for around $325. That's a really good price and typically as soon as I see a price tag around that area I jump. Yes it could go lower but not by much. A person could get lucky and save $20 but the risk on the upside is too great for me. It could easily go to well over $400 especially if you're flying at peak times as we often do.

I think the summary is to take your advice - no matter where you're flying, do your homework. I too use kayak to do my research and I know what the market prices should bear. Keep an eye on those things and have a price in mind that you are willing to jump at. Jump when you see that price. Don't try to get it cheaper.

I booked almost as soon as flights became available, and have watched them rise since. Since we are travelling with 5 people, even if the price rises $30 pp, that's $150 less to spend elsewhere. I booked at fares within my budget - which is important also. I can't imagine myself waiting until 3 months out to book my flights - especially for 5!

Each person needs to do what you're comfortable with but you should be educated and informed on the prices. Me, I'm comfortable with waiting until 3 months before because I know that at that time 75% of the seats are still available. Others may be different.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

We, too live close to Buffalo, NY. I keep checking for deals from there or Niagara Falls, NY airport. There are some good deals from the Falls airport, but you have to be flexible with your dates.

We are planning to drive to Port Canaveral in January...unless I can find very cheap flights!

Each person needs to do what you're comfortable with but you should be educated and informed on the prices. Me, I'm comfortable with waiting until 3 months before because I know that at that time 75% of the seats are still available. Others may be different.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Absolutely! As long as we all get on a ship - it's all good :)

We drive across the border to Buffalo, NY (1 hr. from us) as the airfares are less than half what we'd pay from Toronto. Also stay the night before at a hotel which offers free parking for two weeks plus shuttle to and from the airport. We like to take the first flight out in the morning and this way we get a decent night's sleep rather than rush from home to try to catch an early morning flight. Get to our destination nice and rested. :)

I am very interested in finding a hotel in Buffalo NY where I can leave my car!!! We are from Mississauga too (!!!), and will be flying out of Buffalo in 02/12. I want to find a nice clean hotel, with a shuttle and where I can leave my car! Please share this information!!!!!!

We just booked Air Canada to Miami for our April 2012 cruise for under $1000.00 for both of us. Last year we paid over $1200.00! Airfare can be a killer when you're budgeting for a vacation.

Yike I am flying out Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale and even if I needed transfer to anywhere in Miami I got it for under 250 each... Got to love Southwest seat sales... 119 each going down, 59 coming back, SAS transportation to Miami 15 bucks each way. It truly is worth the trip to Buffalo, our government charges so much in taxes, Toronto airport has the highest landing fees for planes anywhere in the world...,

I am leaving on a Sat and returning on a Sunday

if google Buffalo + hotel + shuttle service you will find something. I park at the parking lot across the street from airport , it has a car rental place there also. When i come back, car is cleaned of snow and warmed up all ready to go, shuttle service every 5 to airport. Not bad pricing either

I am very interested in finding a hotel in Buffalo NY where I can leave my car!!! We are from Mississauga too (!!!), and will be flying out of Buffalo in 02/12. I want to find a nice clean hotel, with a shuttle and where I can leave my car! Please share this information!!!!!!

I know for sure Millenium Aiport Hotel beside Walden Galleria offers shuttle and I think up to 14 days of free parking. Its a very beautiful, comfy hotel.

The Days Inn Hotel, is also near the airport, offers free parking too for 14 days and shuttle service. Its not as nice as Millenium but they do offer free breakfast in the morning which Millenium doesnt.

Hope this helps :)

We've used the Holiday Inn (Buffalo Airport) as well as the Days Inn Hotel (across from the airport) and they both offer free parking and shuttle.

Here's a link to some of the hotels in the Buffalo airport area that offer the park, sleep and fly packages. The Millenium is also a good hotel near the airport. http://www.park-and-fly-hotels.com/buffalo.html

For flights to London, and other UK countries, try www.canadianaffair.com.

I've never heard of anyone having success with canadianaffair.com. Maybe you have, which would be great to hear. They advertize the $59 flights to the UK, but when you look into it, you find that it is one flight on one day in March with one return a fixed time later that flies into Manchester from Ottawa.

Any flights for dates, places and durations you'd actually want to take are priced at or above the regular market.

I also find that their website is set up to lead you down paths that you're not trying to pursue and puts you into endless loops. You can't simply query a route and date range and get options.

Maybe they have improved things recently, but I found them to be a complete waste of time.

jmwg49: When flying from Buffalo, we stay at the Buffalo Marriott on Millersport Hwy. Park for free for up to 2 weeks. It's a 10-15 min. drive to the airport depending on traffic. I always check the rates on their website for my date, then put in a bid on Priceline. Parking for 8 days is going to cost you around $65 in the airport's cheapest lot so just factor in the cost of the hotel and you can save a bundle. The Holiday Inn next to the airport will give you free parking as well but it's a package deal and worked out more expensive than the Marriott. Did not like the reviews of the Millennium, the parking was free just for the dates you stayed so that wasn't an option for me. :)

Archived