thirsty frog beer reviews

mrmet1986

Thirst Frog isn't bad. It's no New Belgium Fat Tire or Stone IPA, but it's a pretty decent tasting "production" beer. It's an amber ale that is fresh and bubbly. It's a better alternative to CL or BL. Again it's not a microbrew beer but a better choice than the others on tap. And priced better to boot. Enjoy, you're on a cruise how bad can it be!!!

This made me chuckle as 1) Blue Moon is not a craft beer and 2) it is owned by MillerCoors.

I said for a ship and never said it was a craft beer/real ale..hence my comment about wishing for better beers. As much as Bass beer and Guinness seem exotic to folks in the US they are not craft beers/ale either. Cigar is the only true craft brew I have seen on Carnival and when we were on Celebrity they were charging the earth for some of my favourite Belgian beers (I am not paying £15 a bottle for Delirium when its £5 over here).

Not to get into geeky specifics but Blue moon is brewed using a different process to its more popular corporate tasteless brothers in a 'craft brew style' for big companies to be part of the trendy brewing scene. Over here Blue moon is pretty cheap and popular and has replaced Hoagaarden as a popular Wheat beer.

Yes a pre chilled glass is bloody weird.

Thirsty Frog tastes like Budwieser, Because it is just Bud American Red kegs with a new lable. I dont know where all this stuff about it being a private brew came from. it is just a marketing ploy by AB and Carnival

As a die hard Bud drinker, I can say that Thirsty Frog is NOT Budweiser. I did have a few Thirsty Frogs on my last cruise and I'd have to say it isn't bad. It wont ever be my go to beer, but I can enjoy a couple as a change of pace.

I'll go even further. MillerCoors will soon be owned by, drum roll:

Anheuser Busch!:eek::D

Bud, Busch, MGD, MHL, Stella, Coors, Corona, Grolsch, Michelob, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Johnny Appleseed. Mickey's, Olde English, King Cobra, Blue Moon, Foster's, Molson's, Redd's, Keystone and Steel Reserve will now be made by the same company. Just a heads up!;)

I hope not. Ugh. I'm from Golden, Co and it's still just Coors here :)

My husband likes Thirsty Frog just fine and we live in the land of micro brew.

Anheuser-Busch has a generic red ale recipe that they let pubs and restaurants sell under their own brands. Carnival just did this. I can think of several other bars here in town that serve it under their own brand, as well as the local minor league baseball stadium.

If you want something more interesting, get a Cigar City beer. They serve the Invasion Pale Ale and one other in cans now.

Yes a pre chilled glass is bloody weird.

Pre chilled glasses are pretty standard here in Florida, especially for Bud/Miller/Coors style beers.

American macro lagers taste best when cold. This keeps them cold longer. It's the opposite of your cask ales which taste better at cellar temperature.

Edited by realjd

In Europe even chilled craft brews don't get a chilled glass. This is because brews actually taste really good just chilled or slightly warmer. This is also why various 'cold' foods are served room temperature to allow for a stronger taste and why many say consuming cold things supposedly slighlty numbs your taste buds.

Real cask ales that are flat are the only ones served room temperature...along with most scrumpy ciders.

Ok but we are not in Europe but the Caribbean!;)

Taste is taste no matter where you are in the world

Plus Carnival is in Europe next year and I imagine Alaskan brews don't come with a chilled glass.

I just thought, none of the craft brew bars in Tampa we visited chilled their glasses. Maybe its certain parts of FL or they heard our accents. ;)

Taste is taste no matter where you are in the world

Plus Carnival is in Europe next year and I imagine Alaskan brews don't come with a chilled glass.

I just thought, none of the craft brew bars in Tampa we visited chilled their glasses. Maybe its certain parts of FL or they heard our accents. ;)

BUT tastes vary so much!

I have had many Alaskan brews in VERY chilled glasses, one was even a carved chuck of ice, was so damn good. I keep hearing craft beers, we have some damn good local craft brews and they all come in chilled glasses! It is def a US thing as I was training some guys from Ireland last year and at first they were hesitant but by the time they left they were HUGE fans, so sit back, sip away and try it as one just might be surprised!

Chilled glass is da BOMB!!!

Who in the hell drinks room temp beer in a room temp glass.....:eek:

People who actually like the flavor of real beer. :D

Really good beer is not served at room temp, but between 41F and 53F, depending on the style.

Mass-produced light American lagers (Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc) are served at below 38F in frozen glasses because they generally taste terrible and the cold masks the flavor.

Edited by gtalum

Im excited to try it. I am fully aware it will probably be swill but itll mean Im on a ship! Plus living in Grand Rapids (Beer City, USA) and growing up in Kalamazoo (home of Bell's) has taught me one huge lesson

Just because its a craft beer doesn't mean it is better than mass produced beer. Now don't get me wrong, 9/10 times DH and my dinners out mean a brewery and sampling new beers and they simply dont carry anything not made on site, i prefer it that way. But you can say this for bud, it has consistency and frankly ive had enough experimental beers to know that sometimes bud/miller/coors doesnt make you gag (for example the "breakfast beer" with chunks of gloppy scrambled eggs)

You won't find craft beer bars using chilled glasses. You will find beach bars and many bars and restaurants that aren't focused on craft beer using chilled glasses.

My go to beer on Carnival is Boddingtons. Carnival should upgrade the beer selection on tap to offer a more diverse selection.

When I tasted Thirsty Frog I expected a better taste. It looked better than it tasted. Maybe I'm spoiled living in Northern Ca, but it just wasn't that good.

I love a chilled glass, but not impressed the chilled PLASTIC glass at the pool deck bar.

Edited by Richjoxyz

Really good beer is not served at room temp, but between 41F and 53F, depending on the style.

Mass-produced light American lagers (Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc) are served at below 38F in frozen glasses because they generally taste terrible and the cold masks the flavor.

Not at all as those room temp beers usually use lower quality hops, barley or whatever grain of your choice, some burnt, so "real" beer is up to the taster and everyone's pallet is very different, so sit back and enjoy the burnt flavor of room temp beer......;)

Not at all as those room temp beers usually use lower quality hops, barley or whatever grain of your choice, some burnt, so "real" beer is up to the taster and everyone's pallet is very different, so sit back and enjoy the burnt flavor of room temp beer......;)

What rooms are you in that are kept between 41 and 53 degrees F? :D

Let's face it, Where chilled glass or non chilled glass, there's nothing "special" or "unique" about Thirsty Red Frog Ale, except that it comes in draft not bottles or cans. It is a standard Budweiser red lager style seen in the local packie or supermarket under American Ale or Mich Amber Bock or the short lived Black Crown label. It is brewed as a "specialty beer" by AB for restaurants and cruise ships etc. wishing to tag their own label but not having to brew their own beer. Anywhere you see "XYZ" Amber or "ABC" Red, especially in chain restaurants or places not specializing in lots of variety of craft beers, it's most likely the same product as TRF.

Whether you want it in a chilled/frosted mug or just a room temperature glass is up to your own tastes.

BTW, for the chap liking Boddington's, isn't that to POMEs what "Fosters" is to Oz? And Aussies don't drink Fosters at home.:rolleyes:

But to each his own unless your Buying:D!

I don't like Budweiser but two weeks ago on the Pride I drank them out of it! So i do not think it is Budweiser. That is all I had and I have the sail and sign bill to prove it. They ran out of itnon the last night....lol I had between 7 and 10 a day.

Now here is a man who likes his beer!:)