Does booking with a TA put your money at risk

Dena

I ask this because I believe a few years ago a large NJ travel agency went under and anyone who didn't pay by credit card lost their money. In seems to me that especially in this economy a travel agency is more likely to go under than a cruise line. Are there any agencies where you send your check directly to Princess so your money is not at risk.

Unless you are buying into a specific tour package offered by an agent, you should really never be paying the agent any money other than fees. The exception to this are some consolidators who may pre-purchase from the cruise lines or other provider and then re-sell at a markup. In this case, ALWAYS pay by Credit Card.

I looked back-- all of our charges went directly to Princess via our TA.:rolleyes:

That is the normal process whether a credit card or debit card is used. For people who don't have either and are wanting to pay by check. As a travel agent, if I have a client who wants to pay by check, I require the check to be in my office two weeks before the final payment date. I deposit the check into my business checking account and once it has cleared then I will use my company credit card to make the clients final payment.

Under this procedure the risk is still minimal unless you have a dishonest travel agent.

If you booked through a TA, the only cruise line that I know of that will accept a direct check from the cruiser is Disney. As far as I know, all the other lines require an agency check for payments or a cruisers credit card.

I ask this because I believe a few years ago a large NJ travel agency went under and anyone who didn't pay by credit card lost their money. In seems to me that especially in this economy a travel agency is more likely to go under than a cruise line. Are there any agencies where you send your check directly to Princess so your money is not at risk.
Whenever you pay by cash or check for a major item, whether it's a cruise, a car or a dishwasher, there's always a risk and it's up to you to decide whether it's acceptable. Most TAs are honest and will deposit your check into their bank account and then pay the cruiseline. It adds complexity to the simple act of making a payment as well as days in order for the check to clear. You are far better off getting a debit card for your checking account, which is almost exactly the same thing as writing a check but you get protection and the payment can be made directly to Princess without the risk.

All of the TA's I have used have made the payment directly to the cruise line (I wouldn't book any other way), it does not go into the agency account. So I say as long as this happens, there is no risk when booking with a travel agent. ;)

Cruise lines have gone bankrupt. Renaissance was a marked example. When the declared in June 2001, they not only left all prepays in limbo, but left pax high and dry at various ports.

Of course Rennaissance was not the only cruise line to declare, but it was the most noteable.

All of the TA's I have used have made the payment directly to the cruise line (I wouldn't book any other way), it does not go into the agency account. So I say as long as this happens, there is no risk when booking with a travel agent. ;)

Once you make final payment you can check your Personalizer to see if you're allowed to print the Boarding Pass and luggage tags. If you can, you'll know Princess has the money. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to see it in your cc account.

Archived