New Balcony Partition Policy

I just spoke with a Royal Caribbean Representative inquiring about balcony partitions on Oasis and if they could be opened between adjoining balconies. I was told that as of August 3rd, 2011 all RCCL ships with balcony partitions that are able to be opened will now remain closed except for maintenance reasons. The reason given was due to security reasons after the partition is opened, guests would be able to enter other rooms besides their own via the balconies. Has anyone heard this? We have been on two different ships with adjoining balconies and it is one of the reasons we even get balcony rooms.

Comments?

I just spoke with a Royal Caribbean Representative inquiring about balcony partitions on Oasis and if they could be opened between adjoining balconies. I was told that as of August 3rd, 2011 all RCCL ships with balcony partitions that are able to be opened will now remain closed except for maintenance reasons. The reason given was due to security reasons after the partition is opened, guests would be able to enter other rooms besides their own via the balconies. Has anyone heard this? We have been on two different ships with adjoining balconies and it is one of the reasons we even get balcony rooms.

Comments?

Hadn't heard that one. If you're sailing with the friends or family in the adjoining cabin, I wouldn't think their entering your cabin would be such a "security" issue. The cabin attendant leaving the cabin doors open while they clean is more of a security risk.

Just ask your attendant when you board. Or call RCI back, and see if you get a different answer.

I do not think that there is any point in calling RC back.

Just wait until you are onboard.

Onboard policies are what matter, and the shoreside staff may or may not have the slightest idea of what happens onboard.

thanks for the comments. I can understand they would have a policy to tell you that you must ask your attendant but they cannot guarantee your balcony partition can be opened. That would be the more logical response, rather than a security risk answer.

Comments?

Number 1, call a different person and you will get a different answer.

Number 2, if this is a new and definite policy, I personally think, for security reasons, it is a good idea.

Tim

We've been told for years that the official policy is to only allow the balcony dividers to be opened between true connecting cabins, and not ones that are merely adjacent. I suppose that makes more sense when given the security reason. However, we all know that the official policy isn't always the norm on each ship, or with each captain.

You probably will not forget to lock the balcony door (if you do, you will do it only once) -- as the air con will not work with the balcony door closed AND locked.

Depends on the ship. That's only true on Oasis and Allure.

You probably will not forget to lock the balcony door (if you do, you will do it only once) -- as the air con will not work with the balcony door closed AND locked.

We are normally very careful and make sure all our doors our locked, either at home, car or vacation BUT it seems like each cruise we have taken when we have been on a balcony, we ALWAYS leave it unlocked at least once a cruise.

Tim

Not sure if this is now policy from Corporate, but do know from past experience that it's up to the Captain to make the decision.

Had a couple of friends that were sailing with us on a b2b. At the end of the first run, the captains rotated, and when our friends came back aboard, the balcony divider, previously left open at their request, was shut and locked, as required by the new captain.

It may now be policy to keep the dividers locked, no matter what the captain says.

Since we are in the first week of the supposed new rule, it will be interesting to hear from those that will be returning, that asked for the divider to be opened, and the ships response......and reason why!:confused:

Rick

Depends on the ship. That's only true on Oasis and Allure.

No we had this issue on the Liberty, we thought we had an AC problem called maintenance and they shut and locked the balcony door and AC was fixed.

Really! I thought it didn't work with the door open?:confused:

No we had this issue on the Liberty, we thought we had an AC problem called maintenance and they shut and locked the balcony door and AC was fixed.

It's true on all RCL ships I have been on. Keeps the cost down (for them!)

If you all send me $10 dollars I'll book a cruise quick and find out and report back my findings... I'll take one for the team! Might need someone else to join me on a connecting balc to find out..

And another $10 for me (I'll make sure to book the cabin next door), and besides...not wanting to brag...but if anyone can pull strings.....it should be a Pinnacle (hope I spelled that one right!) member.

After all.......as a PC member, I'm entitled to wear some sort of heavy, fall apart, name tag that places me apart from any crewmember..or any other tier. WOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEE!:D:D

That pin, and a buck...gets me a cup of coffee onboard.....if I drank coffee!:)

Rick

Hope the report is not true. We have a jr. Suite booked on the adventure in Nov. With our two teenage boys in an adjoining balcony. The first time we didn't book us all in a larger suite. We booked it this way after being told we could have the balcony divider opened. I can see this being more of a problem if it not family members in the next room. But with it being two kids in connecting rooms I don't see any problems with it. We were told at the time of booking that the only captain not allowing the dividers opened was the Mariner OTS captain (we were on the Mariner when we booked it.)

Please ..... all it would take (like pretty much anything on a cruise ship) is the right tip slappd into the right hand to get that balcony divider cranked open.

It is NOT a security issue if you are travelling with the people in the cabin next door (and those passengers are there to verify it ) to have the balcony opened up.

Please .... a security issue? Try again. :rolleyes:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was just on the Adventure in March. Adventure has fixed balconies and cannot be opened at all. Request or not.

That's true! Same for Explorer and Voyager - those balconies are built into the superstructure of the ship, and are not attached to the outside of the structure as on other ships. The balcony walls are made of steel, creating a very cozy, cavelike effect. Very private.

If you lock your balcony door when you leave what are the security issues?:rolleyes:

Those balcony doors can´t really be locked securely. Put me out on the balcony and close the door. I´ll be in your room within seconds. Just a little lifting and pushing of the door will open it and you won´t even see that someone broke into your cabin.

Only way to make it more secure is to use the childlock, which will make it a lot harder to open the locked door, but I doubt people will use that on a regular basis.

Another but not very practical method would be to have a stick / bar to put in that blocks the sliding door from being able to slide.

Now for the Urban legend of A/C shutting off when the door is open....

I´ve been on 10 different ships in the RCI fleets and a number of ships from other lines and have yet to see a A/C on a ship that shut off when the door was open.

It would be a good idea and there might be ships out there having this feature, but I feel safe to say it´s not the industry norm and as it´s with other things on CC, someone starts the rumor and there´s enough people here that will keep repeating it as if it were true.

Archived