Construction of Banana Coast Cruise Port in Trujillo Honduras

Did I miss something?

Who is funding this development? Is it a local Honduran enterprise or one of the biggie cruise lines?

Another cruise port would be great, but if it is a cookie cutter, shopping and beach enclave like Mahogany Bay or Grand Turk....not so much. :confused:

Oh, wait...this adds some details...sounds like a non-cruise line is working on it.

http://www.bananacoast.com/press/TravelAgentCentral%203-18-10.pdf

What about Mahogany Bay? Will there be stops in Roatan and Trujillo? It opens up a lot of things to do on the mainland, but I still like Roatan.

I think it will be an alternative port for cruise lines not regularly going to Roatan. You only get max 3 ships in port on the island, 2 in MBCC 1 in Coxen Hole. It's the same company that built Grand Turk Cruise center and RCL's Cocoay. There really doesn't appear to be a lot else happening for cruisers in that part of Honduras, so it could be a nice addition, or it could be one of those spots that's too "rustic" for the typical cruise line passenger.

Imagine new excursions to Mayan digs! Oh, I can't wait.....wonder if Carnival will change any of their ports of call?

No it's the Garifuna Village and Fishing Experience you want to book here. Visit a real live honest to god Garifuna village and experience the wonders of catching your own lunch by fishing in a real dugout canoe:rolleyes:

I'm guess this will be a RCL port so they can get their bigger ships here. And maybe NCL too. Carnival has too much tied into Roatan to pull out.

But could be a move to by-pass Belize and hit Trujillo instead by which ever line comes here. Not every Western does Roatan.

I read about this a couple of months ago and asked John about the chances of Carnival stopping at this port but I got no response.

No response is good. He might not have been allowed to let the cat out of the bag at that time.:D

No it's the Garifuna Village and Fishing Experience you want to book here. Visit a real live honest to god Garifuna village and experience the wonders of catching your own lunch by fishing in a real dugout canoe:rolleyes:

I'm guess this will be a RCL port so they can get their bigger ships here. And maybe NCL too. Carnival has too much tied into Roatan to pull out.

But could be a move to by-pass Belize and hit Trujillo instead by which ever line comes here. Not every Western does Roatan.

Roatan is awesome. But Roatan represents the rest of Honduras about as much as Coz represents the rest of Mexico....

I could see Carnival doing both over time. They dont have to call on it often, like their calls on Costa Rica and Panama

Roatan is awesome. But Roatan represents the rest of Honduras about as much as Coz represents the rest of Mexico....
Exactly what my oldest son said just today after returning on his cargo ship from delivering wind turbines to Honduras. However, he was proud that five years of Spanish classes paid off.:cool: And he really liked visiting the mainland - good food and nice people.

Imagine new excursions to Mayan digs! Oh, I can't wait.....wonder if Carnival will change any of their ports of call?

The Mayan ruins are very very far from Trujillo. When I was there, it was an all day trip to get from the town the ruins are in to La Ceiba, which is even closer than Trujillo. There is SERIOUS hiking nearby, as well as rafting, horseback riding, Garifuna villages, etc.

While I really like Honduras, there is very minimal tourist infrastructure there. I just don't see the typical cruiser liking the experience. Roatan is nothing like the mainland. They are as similar to each other as San Juan Puerto Rico and Salt Lake City Utah.

Cruise critic article posted today

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4572

So which lines are going? Well, no one that we can find as of yet. "We have only announced the first part of our 2013 deployment. This portion does not include Trujillo," said Norwegian Cruise Line spokeswoman Amanda Graham. Princess also told us that the line "currently doesn't have any stops scheduled to Trujullo."

We're waiting to hear from Holland America, Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...
Did I miss something?

Who is funding this development? Is it a local Honduran enterprise or one of the biggie cruise lines?

Another cruise port would be great, but if it is a cookie cutter, shopping and beach enclave like Mahogany Bay or Grand Turk....not so much. :confused:

Oh, wait...this adds some details...sounds like a non-cruise line is working on it.

http://www.bananacoast.com/press/TravelAgentCentral%203-18-10.pdf

I did a little research... and it looks like all of the ships that depart out of Houston's Bay Port Terminal are going to be calling on this port. Can't wait!

Archived