Skagway or Ketchikan on your own?

perkyblue

I'm cruising to Alaska for the first time and was wondering if either of these ports are good for just wandering around on your own. I'm trying to keep shore excursion costs to a minimum so if the area just off the ship is good for self-exploration in either of these ports or if there's anywhere in particular you'd recommend going that's within walking distance of the ship, please let me know! Thanks!

Skagway, not so much. Ketchican yes. Hubby and I were tired by the time we got to Ketchican and really hadn't done much shopping. So we went to have lunch, walked around and checked out the totem poles, the salmon ladder and all the little shops, walked over to the cannery, and just enjoyed the scenery. Then we stopped and had a few drinks in the bar before getting back on the ship

Skagway we were so glad we took the Jeep excursion. AMAZING views

Ketchikan Yes - In the morning we wandered Creek Stree and walked up to see the fish ladder. In the afternoon we took the Blue Bus to Totem Bight. If your ship is docked right downtown, you can go back for lunch. We ate at one of the fish and chips shacks right on the dock. You can see my pictures on the following link.

http://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/

We are doing Ketchikan on our own also --first cruise next May--city bus to Totem Bight then back to town to wander around. http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/info.htmThe Experience Ketchikan website is very helpful

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

Skagway is the beginning of the Chilkoot Trail of the gold rush era. I recollect that somewhere on CC is a thread regarding walks in the area and also National Park service guided walks. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Both are good ports to wander around in, however you will find more to see in Ketchikan and you can take transit to get to things like Totem Bight and Saxman Village...and all day pass is something like $3. Also in Ketchikan you can ride the free downtown shuttle to a number of attractions. If your budget stretches, I would recommend a WP&YR trip at least to the summit... you can purchase tickets at the station, go to the summit and still have time to see the town.

I'm cruising to Alaska for the first time and was wondering if either of these ports are good for just wandering around on your own. I'm trying to keep shore excursion costs to a minimum so if the area just off the ship is good for self-exploration in either of these ports or if there's anywhere in particular you'd recommend going that's within walking distance of the ship, please let me know! Thanks!

Ketchikan was great to wander in. We took the Ketchikan by land and sea tour, which was very nice, but I wouldn't recommend it or do it again.

When in Haines/Skagway take the White Pass & Yukon RR. It was wonderfully comfortable, takes about 4 hours, there's a bathroom on every car and that's where I saw my grizzly bear! If you're docked in Haines they will take you by high speed ferry to Skagway (about 30 min.) and tell you what time you have to be at the ferry for the return to Haines. If you need to do any shopping for essentials, there's an IGA in Haines. Shops in Skagway are mostly jewelry and tourist trap type places.

I found an MP3 download on Amazon for a Walking Tour of Ketchikan that was under $10. It worked out great for us on the Ipod, and we followed some of the stuff on the tour and checked out other stuff on our own. Really cheap, informative, and we can use it again when we go back.

The Alaska Surf Fish & Chips "shack" on the dock has some of the best F&C we've ever found west of the UK! It is even recommended by Frommers! (We were tipped off by a shuttle driver who said it was the best in town. He was right!) Skip the touristy diners and restaurants and check out this place while wandering Ketchikan. There are two mini-van "shacks" side by side. Only one has a "Recommended in Frommer's Guide to Alaska" sign posted.:D

Both areas are excellent for exploring on your own. Key, is however, to find out what the highlights are. :) Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call, Alaska By Cruiseship etc. Request visitor guides http://www.skagway.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

I disagree on what is "available" in Skagway, there is plenty. :) the park service visitor center is a good stop, free walking tours to sigh up for. Inquire if various rangers are scheduled, each has their own tour. Hiking to Lower/Upper Dewey Lakes, walking back to the Gold Rush Cemetery, etc

But it is also a very cost effective option to rent a car and really have a fantastic day, spending 5 hours driving 150 miles, enjoying endless scenery.

We did Skagway on our own and booked Southeast sea kayaks in ketchikan and have no regrets. We wanted a port without an organized tour and enjoyed trying Alaskan beers in each of the bars. Also, Skagway is the cheapest for shopping if you choose to do it. It gets more expensive the further south you go. Also, the kayak tour was probably my favorite thing I did... and that included the glacier trek in Juneau.

Thanks to all for the information. I'm leaving soon and can't wait to go. I want to try and find the quilt shop in either Skagway or Ketchikan. We are renting a car in Skagway and I'm going solo (husband going fishing) in Ketchikan. Wrote down all the neat places to get food in Ketchikan I want to try some fresh seafood. Love seafood. :)

We did Skagway on our own and booked Southeast sea kayaks in ketchikan and have no regrets. We wanted a port without an organized tour and enjoyed trying Alaskan beers in each of the bars. Also, Skagway is the cheapest for shopping if you choose to do it. It gets more expensive the further south you go. Also, the kayak tour was probably my favorite thing I did... and that included the glacier trek in Juneau.

In Ketchican or Skagway did you see any canoe trips? I have never done kayaking.

Both are good ports to wander around in, however you will find more to see in Ketchikan and you can take transit to get to things like Totem Bight and Saxman Village...and all day pass is something like $3. Also in Ketchikan you can ride the free downtown shuttle to a number of attractions. If your budget stretches, I would recommend a WP&YR trip at least to the summit... you can purchase tickets at the station, go to the summit and still have time to see the town.

Where can I buy the $3 transit pass? Is it available in the area just off the ship?

the quilt shop in Ketchikan is great - it's upstairs in a 2-story mall near the Alaska Museum and the log climbing place. Ketchikan is wonderful to walk if you walk away from the pier and shopping towards Creek Street. Walk up the path along the salmon ladder and then up the hill to the right. You will come to a salmon hatchery and museum. Great walk and doesn't cost anything. You could also take the funicular from Creek st. up the mt. Great views and nice hotel to have lunch or a dring at the top.

I agree with the Ketchican comments above. We actually had some of the best chowder on the dock. There are two little huts there serving fish and chips and chowder. The one on the left was fantastic.

I also agree witih renting a car and driving up to Carcross. It is a wonderful trip if you choose not to do the train. However the train is fantastic and should not be missed.

Joan4 Travel, Thanks for the information, I would love to see that shop. I'm hoping that there will be some Alaskan kits that I can buy. One for my sister who is dogsitting for us. She would love that.

Darci, we are on the same ship sailing. Will be nice meeting you. Pat

I put together a little guide for my upcomming trip (copy and paste out of Frommer's) I skipped the expensive stuff, I don't know how far everything really is. I hope this helps, feel free to mark it up and repost when you get back (that way I can use your experiance).

things to do on cruise.pdf

In Ketchican or Skagway did you see any canoe trips? I have never done kayaking.

If you enjoy canoeing, I would actually highly recommend Southeast Sea Kayaks - we did their Orca's Cove kayak in July and it was lovely. They are used to people who have never kayaked before, and they are very good about showing you how to paddle, how to get in and out, etc. If you have done some canoeing you will be ahead of the game. You will also go in a very small group, so they are able to take the time to make you feel reassured and to answer all your questions. For these coves, kayaking is much better than canoeing, because you will have an elastic 'spray skirt' that hooks around you so that water can't get in. So the lower half of your body will stay dry (and they give you rainproof parkas for the upper half). They use two-person kayaks that are very stable - they do not feel any "tippier" than a canoe. It's a great place to try kayaking!

If you enjoy canoeing, I would actually highly recommend Southeast Sea Kayaks - we did their Orca's Cove kayak in July and it was lovely. They are used to people who have never kayaked before, and they are very good about showing you how to paddle, how to get in and out, etc. If you have done some canoeing you will be ahead of the game. You will also go in a very small group, so they are able to take the time to make you feel reassured and to answer all your questions. For these coves, kayaking is much better than canoeing, because you will have an elastic 'spray skirt' that hooks around you so that water can't get in. So the lower half of your body will stay dry (and they give you rainproof parkas for the upper half). They use two-person kayaks that are very stable - they do not feel any "tippier" than a canoe. It's a great place to try kayaking!

First of all thank you Helicap for the info you posted.I plan to download the maps.

I have never been in a canoe or kayak ,but have always wanted to.:D Was your excursion in Ketchican or Skagway? Did you pre book the trip? Was the water calm? Any other comments that you think might help.Thanks for all this info.I leave in 2 weeks and can hardly wait.

First of all thank you Helicap for the info you posted.I plan to download the maps.

I have never been in a canoe or kayak ,but have always wanted to.:D Was your excursion in Ketchican or Skagway? Did you pre book the trip? Was the water calm? Any other comments that you think might help.Thanks for all this info.I leave in 2 weeks and can hardly wait.

No problem, we like to try to do stuff on the cheap that way we can spend more on food. I like to make lists and DW likes that I do, once I've made on then there is no point in not sharing it. :)

Archived