Skagway or Ketchikan on your own?

perkyblue

I'm cruising to Alaska for the first time and was wondering if either of these ports are good for just wandering around on your own. I'm trying to keep shore excursion costs to a minimum so if the area just off the ship is good for self-exploration in either of these ports or if there's anywhere in particular you'd recommend going that's within walking distance of the ship, please let me know! Thanks!

The following attachment is from the Skagway visitor's guide... check it out.

Free in Skagway.pdf

Thanks to all for the information. I'm leaving soon and can't wait to go. I want to try and find the quilt shop in either Skagway or Ketchikan. We are renting a car in Skagway and I'm going solo (husband going fishing) in Ketchikan. Wrote down all the neat places to get food in Ketchikan I want to try some fresh seafood. Love seafood. :)

The quilt shop in Ketchikan is very easy to find and very close to the docks. The address is 5 Salmon Landing Market.

Be prepared. It is an amazing shop with over 4000 different fabrics. Fell in love and did not want to leave the first time I went there. ENJOY!!!!:D

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises:

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - February 2012

Alaska - September 2012 - Either 14 day Alaskan Explorer OR 20 day Land/Cruise

Eastern Med - 2013 - the 28 day cruise that includes the Black Sea

We just came back from our fourth trip to Alaska. We usually do things on our own so as not to break the bank and have money to go for another cruise. This time in Skagway we walked around town, looked at some antique stores, visited the museums, and enjoyed a great Beer Chili from the Skagway Brewery (right across from the Harley Davidson). They were very crowded so we just had it to go. In the afternoon we went for a hike up Dewey Lake. Husband and I just went half way DS went all the way up. He said it was beautiful up there.

Ketchikan we took the blue bus to Totem Bight in the morning (got the $2.00 all day pass on the bus). The ride was about 30 minutes long. It was a nice economical way to see some beautiful sights. In the afternoon we leisurely walked around town which we are so familiar with by now but we still had a great time.

We rented a car in Ketchikan for $63 + tax +gas and we loved driving to all the sites! I printed a driving tour guide from their website and it was a great guide. I saw a lot of people using the walking tour guide also and if you are up to a long walk - great idea! We had a wonderful sunny day and ended our day watching bears eating salmon in herring cove! We could not have seen these without having a car or paid for a trip to the rain forest. It all depends on what your expectations are. We shared the cost of our car with another couple so it was an inexpensive tour for us!

We rented a car in Ketchikan for $63 + tax +gas and we loved driving to all the sites! I printed a driving tour guide from their website and it was a great guide. I saw a lot of people using the walking tour guide also and if you are up to a long walk - great idea! We had a wonderful sunny day and ended our day watching bears eating salmon in herring cove! We could not have seen these without having a car or paid for a trip to the rain forest. It all depends on what your expectations are. We shared the cost of our car with another couple so it was an inexpensive tour for us!

What car company did you use? This sounds like a great idea.

I put together a little guide for my upcomming trip (copy and paste out of Frommer's) I skipped the expensive stuff, I don't know how far everything really is. I hope this helps, feel free to mark it up and repost when you get back (that way I can use your experiance).

thank you!!!

I highly recommend http://www.akcarrental.com/ I've used them a few times with no complaints. Great downtown location.

I agree with Budget Queen - we used them and got a very nice Jeep Cherokee for the day! Came right over and picked us up at the Coral and brought my husband back at the end of the day! They even sent me a reminder email to confirm we were renting the car! Nice local people with great prices and service! No brand new cars - but clean and just what you need for the day!

• 3 months later...
We did Skagway on our own and booked Southeast sea kayaks in ketchikan and have no regrets. We wanted a port without an organized tour and enjoyed trying Alaskan beers in each of the bars. Also, Skagway is the cheapest for shopping if you choose to do it. It gets more expensive the further south you go. Also, the kayak tour was probably my favorite thing I did... and that included the glacier trek in Juneau.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I love that they have small groups, and don't work through the cruise lines. This is the type of information which Cruise Critic is so great for!

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

I'm cruising to Alaska for the first time and was wondering if either of these ports are good for just wandering around on your own. I'm trying to keep shore excursion costs to a minimum so if the area just off the ship is good for self-exploration in either of these ports or if there's anywhere in particular you'd recommend going that's within walking distance of the ship, please let me know! Thanks!

Having to face the same delimma in June, we are doing Ketchikan on our own.

Skagway is a great place to rent a car and drive into the Yukon. It is also a great place to hike. It is a national park and you will have the information center of the park rangers or the Skagway visitors bureau where you can pick up maps. They have at least three easy to moderate hikes that are detailed on their hiking maps. Skagway also has a wonderful museum. You don't have to hang out in the touristy shopping areas although some seem to enjoy them. I could easily spend a day in Skagway without spending money. The last couple of visits to Ketchikan have been really wet and rainy and on the last trip we just sat on the ship and watched people running around in the rain. Maybe we've just hit it at the wrong time but it seems like all the ships stop there and it can get quite crowded.

I put together a little guide for my upcomming trip (copy and paste out of Frommer's) I skipped the expensive stuff, I don't know how far everything really is. I hope this helps, feel free to mark it up and repost when you get back (that way I can use your experiance).

thank you thank you! that was great!

Thanks so much for compiling the guide. I really enjoyed reading about the history and background of the places we will be visiting in advance of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting your guide - I always research Fodor's or Frommer's online (and end up buying their newest guide book anyway!) Your guide will be a great start to doing some serious research regarding the shore excursions for our upcoming cruise to Alaska in July 2012 (aboard the Norwegian Pearl.)

this is terrific. how did you copy and paste out of frommers? i have the book but did you do it online or what?

thanx.

(By the way, we made the mistake of going to Pikes Market first thing in the morning....no action. no fun. go later in the day when the place gets busy.)

again, how did you cut and paste info?

Ketchikan Yes - In the morning we wandered Creek Stree and walked up to see the fish ladder. In the afternoon we took the Blue Bus to Totem Bight. If your ship is docked right downtown, you can go back for lunch. We ate at one of the fish and chips shacks right on the dock. You can see my pictures on the following link.

http://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/

Your pictures are amazing! What month did you go? We are going the first week of August this year.....can you tell me what excursions you did at each port? Looks like some of the ones we have booked......

Laura

Archived