Tips : Yes, but Gifts...?

PCM

What do you think that the "lucky" recipients of the junk that you give them do with the stuff - they toss it into the trash bin because and wonder why you are giving them something they do not want, do not need and have no room for.

Of course they pretend that your stuff is the greatest item they have ever received because they know that if they told you what they actually thought of it and of you for giving it to them, you might reduce their tip.

Sorry to be cynical but money talks and ties, chocolates, and lipsticks do not.

Do you actually also give that stuff to airline staff also? Hard to believe.

DON

Sorry to say, you don't get it. I can tell you on a long airplane flights, we actually have every staff member come by to see us, when they hear we have special surprises from other staff members. If they did not want the "junk" as you say, then they would not come by our seats and befriend us. Don't knock it til you have tried it, we have been doing this for 30+ years. On our last flight back from London, the head purser on our flight gave us her email address and we have kept in contact with her. That speaks for itself. :)

There's another thread on this subject. I explained that I have a garage full of "tinkets" and I've given away more chocolates, hams, turkeys, etc. than I care to count from my well-meaning, appreciative (CHEAP) employer. If I had EVER been asked, I would have said, "$$$, please." I don't care if it's just $5, please give me the $5 you spent on the t-shirt with the company logo, the pen set, or the pecan pralines, truffles, specialty coffe, etc. AND...of course, I always, graciously oohed and smiled big and said, "Oh my gosh, thank you" or "my favorite"....Please don't get offended, but it's just giving YOU a feeling of doing something special. I can't even give these trinkets away. Save yourself (and the landfills)...Cash and glowing comments rule!!!

So...let me understand. You bring yourself desserts, etc. from port....then leave the leftovers for the staff as a thank you? An an "extra tip"? Seriously? Would YOU eat some stranger's left-overs? I wouldn't! You know who I bring my left-overs to every day? My dog! These people aren't starving, stray dogs!

Don't be silly. We give the waiter the dessert to serve. He cuts us pieces and keeps the rest for the staff.

Absolutely...if you want to give "something extra" give additonal $$$$$. But if you must, must, must, give something other than $$$$$, a pre-paid international phone card would be a good bet.

No, a pre-paid international phone card is a poor bet. First of all the staff has access to these cards for discounted pricing - so if they needed such a card, they could by more minutes if you just gave them the cash instead of the card. Secondly, many of them use Skype or similar while in port to communicate with loved ones and therefore would have zero need for the calling card. Third the card may not even work to the country they would want to call. Unless a staff member specifically mentions something they want or need, then extra cash and positive comments on comment cards (or e-mails to Celebrity or what not, mentioning them by name) is the best "thanks" one can give. Anything else is more about making yourself feel good then thanking the staff.

Money is definately best, and yes, they can get phone cards cheaper than you could buy one, but they don't ALL have computers and I' ve seen them all lined up to use pay phones, so while cash is best, a phone card is still a better call than "stuff", but just give cash! If you could buy a phone card for $10 and they can get the same card for $5, give than an additional $10 which would go twice as far!

You would have to see the reactions we get from those we gifted and others who work with them. Everyone wants gifts. So much so, that we have actually gone out and bought more to give to others who expressed a desire for the same thing. :) Several times we found out selves shopping for more chocolate in particular - so now we bring extra.

Our experience has been just the opposite of what has been expressed here. Our most recent experience was on the OV, on the TA last Spring. We gave some chocolates to staff in the MDR, other staff let it be known that they liked chocolates too. So we got some more and everyone was happy. Similar thing happened with folks at the Customer Service Desk.

We sometimes buy the cooks and entertainment staff drinks. Of course, they pick what they would like to drink.

People enjoy a little surprise now and then.

It is easy to give cash for sure. Which we do.

Well, you know, there is nothing wrong with being considerate and kind hearted. Good for you.

They do not have the room for any gifts. Give money AND name them on your comment card. When this is done thery are recognized by their boss at their meetings and goes into their file. This helps with promotions too.

I agree- since they have such limited space in their cabins I would just stick with cash. The only thing that I could possibly think may be appreciated as a gift would be an international prepaid phone card so they can call their families at home...??

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry don't agree at all. Perhaps its because I think that just cash, while always appreciated, is given and forgotten 5 minutes later.

There is nothing wrong with giving someone cash and a small gift that you have thought about and is suited to that person - not just some general tat. When we went back on the same ship later that year - several of the staff immediately remembered us by name and gave us a very warm welcome.

They all got a good tip at the end and they wouldn't have got any more if we hadn't bought the items. If you are only going to buy tat then yes, just stick to cash.

You know, if you're giving a gift to someone you know (ie likes, dislikes, what they collect, etc) then cash is impersonal. It's like when my parents can't bother themselves with thinking about what their 10yo grandson would really like & hand him a gift card - but that's another issue.

However, while you may feel like you get to know the ship's crew, you don't really and they are there to make your vacation wonderful. Treat them kindly, use please and thank you, fill out the comment cards while spelling their names correctly, and show your appreciation in cash. Even if they do adore ties or lipsticks, if just one person per cruise gave them those, they really wouldn't have room for them even 1/3 of the way through their contract. Phone cards seem like a great idea, but they are usually country or region specific, and as another poster noted, they can buy them much cheaper than we can.

Archived