What is this economy/stock market doing to your cruise planning

riddle

I am never happier than when I have a cruise planned and booked no matter how far ahead. With the market the last few weeks and the outlook for the economy I just want to fold into a ball and not plan anything until things look better - if they ever do. How do you feel about this? Is it affecting your plans?

I am never happier than when I have a cruise planned and booked no matter how far ahead. With the market the last few weeks and the outlook for the economy I just want to fold into a ball and not plan anything until things look better - if they ever do. How do you feel about this? Is it affecting your plans?

It's a scary time for our economy. :( So far, we are still going on our planned cruises as I already put the money aside. Not sure about booking any more till things turn around. Best of luck to everyone.

I'm not booking anything new. My latest cruise was booked just before the downgrade and slide, and I wouldn't book it now. Too much risk and uncertainty with my job and bank account when stuff like this is going on

We're now planning to "wait and see" regarding our Med cruise for next summer. The market and the value of the US dollar will affect our decision. If things look too bad, we may cancel and choose a Carib cruise or just a local resort vs something more costly. Good luck to all.

I had a future cruise certificate burning a hole in my pocket so we have already booked for April 2012 out of Port Canaveral. Picked it because we could drive there and not spend mucho bucks on flying. We also booked before the price increase this past April. After that I have no idea--my work just recently announced our health insurance premiums will be going up tremendously in 2012. That may take all my discretionary income. Okay this post is really starting to get me down. Back to daydreaming about my April cruise....

I'm not changing a thing. I just booked a cruise to the Baltic for next summer. No matter what, I always make sure I have money for a cruise! Now that I just bought a house, I will have to do one cruise a year instead of two. But as long as I always have something booked, I'm happy!

Michael

I'm already paid up for 2 cruises so there's no turning back. At least I know where my meals will be coming from for those 12 days. Not to take advantage of anyone else's bad fortune but if people stop booking because of this there may be some bargains to be had as cruises pass their final payment date.

The day I came back to work after our cruise in May I was told that starting July 1st my hours at work would be cut to 24 hours a week. It was totally unexpected and came as a huge shock to me. They have increase my hours up to 32 hours week but told me not to expect to ever return to full time. I was hoping to retire in four years, that's not looking likely to happen now, So it is putting a huge crimp on our cruising. We have a future cruise certificate that we used to book a Caribbean cruise for January 2013. We booked it back last December before the union discount went away. So we will keep that cruise booked in hopes that things turn around before then. We had been hoping to cruise to Alaska in 2012, but with less hours at work and the prices of cruises we will be skipping that one.

But as for me, within 12 months after I complete my upcoming Cruise, I will be re-locating to a state with lots of red rocks & a Deep "canyon", where the "COL" is 15% less then the Nat'l average(even though I don't fully agree with their politics). I will be on top of a hill, with a gated driveway and monitored security system, and "Ample Means of Defense" should anyone ever be foolish enough to attempt to overtake my property. I have stocked up on MRe's, Gold & Silver Coins, and a few other needs. I also have a few close friends named Colt, Ruger, Remington, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield, which our Gov't was kind enough to spend it's tax monies on teaching me how to use them correctly, as well as teach me how to fly a few different Aircraft.....:cool:

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

We've just barely recovered from the 2008 financial mess.:eek: That's why I booked our next cruise so far our- 3 weeks short of two years. That way, I knew I would have plenty of time to save (or cancel if necessary).

And, I'm proud to say, the money to pay for everything- including airfare, gratuities, excursions, etc- is sitting safely in my 'travel' savings account. But the best part is, it all came from secondary income such as mystery shopping, paid surveys and birthday/ holiday gifts. Not one cent came from paychecks or credit cards. :D

I might be a bit overly cautious, but I'd rather cruise once every 10 years than risk putting us back into debt!

We've just barely recovered from the 2008 financial mess.:eek: That's why I booked our next cruise so far our- 3 weeks short of two years. That way, I knew I would have plenty of time to save (or cancel if necessary).

And, I'm proud to say, the money to pay for everything- including airfare, gratuities, excursions, etc- is sitting safely in my 'travel' savings account. But the best part is, it all came from secondary income such as mystery shopping, paid surveys and birthday/ holiday gifts. Not one cent came from paychecks or credit cards. :D

I might be a bit overly cautious, but I'd rather cruise once every 10 years than risk putting us back into debt!

I just wanted to ask, I have thought about doing the whole "mystery shopper" thing and paid surveys, but I wasn't sure if you could really make money doing it. Is it possible to do this while still working a full-time job? Thanks for your input.

Usually cruise 2-3 x year but now have only 1 booked for next March. Its not the cruise costs but the air fare that kills you. With the stock market plunge am really hesitant about spending. Coruse. if everyone feels that way maybe prices will go down !

The only vacation plans we are thinking of changing is our upcoming trip to London. I'd rather wait till things calm down and go someplace else right now.

Other than that trip, none of our other plans are changing.

It might effect me, but only because I plan to dump a boatload of $$ into the market when the DOW hit's 8,000 points.

We booked our Dec. 11 cruise when the price was so low we couldn't refuse, and we had a cruise rewards certificate to use. We don't plan to take advantage of a cruise rewards certificate purchase on this next cruise because of the economy and our reduced paychecks. We'll be doing few shore excursions and shopping, and drinking less, on this cruise.

In some ways, I'm glad we are pinching pennies and won't get a cruise rewards certificate, because I think we might try a different line for our next cruise. Thinking about Alaska with friends, and would rather try Princess for that journey.

At this point it makes no difference. Luckily I still have a good job and our investments are handled by an adviser who does a good job spreading out the risk so big dips in market have more of a mental impact than anything. CNN and the rest just keep beating the dead horse 24x7 and you can't help but feel some impact I suppose.

Our cruises are booked well in advance and we always know where the money is coming from so our immediate plans are not changed and probably wont be either.

I am planning a cruise next March, I don't know where to or with what line (it's my SIL's choice), so I am looking foreward to reduced rates doe to the lines trying to fill cabins.

But as for me, within 12 months after I complete my upcoming Cruise, I will be re-locating to a state with lots of red rocks & a Deep "canyon", where the "COL" is 15% less then the Nat'l average(even though I don't fully agree with their politics). I will be on top of a hill, with a gated driveway and monitored security system, and "Ample Means of Defense" should anyone ever be foolish enough to attempt to overtake my property. I have stocked up on MRe's, Gold & Silver Coins, and a few other needs. I also have a few close friends named Colt, Ruger, Remington, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield, which our Gov't was kind enough to spend it's tax monies on teaching me how to use them correctly, as well as teach me how to fly a few different Aircraft.....:cool:

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

Do I know you from another forum? Ever heard of the Purple board?

Archived