What is this economy/stock market doing to your cruise planning

riddle

We are going to Hawaii in Nov. and are lucky to be able to do that. This is a big trip for us and the only thing that made it doable was a terrific sale on airfare.We dont make long range plans. There have been so many layoffs at Hubbys work if someone takes vaca there isnt enough staff to put out product. Getting a week off is like pulling teeth. We are always looking for deals then hope it works out,but 2012 is more likely to be the western caribbean than south america.

Replying to your Off-Topic tangent simply because somebody should, just to give you one big warning: Be careful! A ton of these schemes are either intended to part you with up-front money, stick you with the purchase price of something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, or scam you out of banking and/or identity information. Please, please, please, before you put your foot in those waters, google up the phrase "mystery shopper scam". You'll get one hundrend and ninety three THOUSAND hits! If you google up "paid survey scam", you'll get over a million hits.

Do you really think you will know the difference between the few legit deals scattered around in the minefield? Just remember this: the person who has the easiest job of fooling you, is you. All good confidence racketeers know this.

I promise, I mean no offense by this reply.

InTheCruisingYearsOfLife

Thank you for your concern. I realize that there are hundreds of thousands of scams out there, and would never give ANYONE anymore than my name, address and phone number over the internet (all of which are public record). That is specifically why I asked the person who posted that they had made money doing it. They were gracious enough to leave their e-mail addy so that I can contact them, which I have. I will check out any info they give me with a fine tooth comb, before I embark on anything.

That being said, if there is a way that my disabled husband can increase our cruise fund by spending a few hours a day on the computer, I'm all for it, and I'm sure he will be also.

Thanks again for your concern, it is truly appreciated.

Bev,

Yes, there are many, many scams for secret shopping. I have been fortunate to be able to work with a company that is legit. I did not have to pay anything. It is by no means enough to live on, but $15 here or there does help. I took a test to make sure I could communicate well and they asked me some basic info on my age, location, education. The company is based in MN, but they do have "shops" all over the country.

I am not comfortable on putting my email info out in public view. If you want to give me yours I can email you info.

Karen

Since I only have less than 30 days before I sail my next, everything is paid for already...I'm definitely going of course.

I also plan on buying 2 future cruise certificates. I'll start putting back money for that when I return. At least you have 4 years to use them. I would hope things would turn around by then. I think my line of work is fairly secure (I work for a hospital and we will always need hospitals) plus I'm in school to be a nurse. Hopefully the demand for that won't go away by the time I graduate.

I can't imagine life without cruising at this point. :eek:

50/50- I agree with the point for buying when the dow is lower,and also to the post that time is not guaranteed.

I booked the Epic solo for 12/17 at a great rate, and if i cancel then, I don't see myself paying more to go later. On the other hand, I can't decide if I am better off taking the estimated $2,000-$2,200 for the entire trip and investing it in an index fund

It's a scary time for our economy. :( So far, we are still going on our planned cruises as I already put the money aside. Not sure about booking any more till things turn around. Best of luck to everyone.

You are EXACTLY correct! About 50% of our population has NO CLUE either. If our policy of over-spending doesn't stop....a lot MORE cruise ships are going to be going elsewhere you can believe that.

So...I have previously booked a cruise with NCL this October and one with CCL next May...beyond THAT...I'm in wait and see mode.

Bev,

Yes, there are many, many scams for secret shopping. I have been fortunate to be able to work with a company that is legit. I did not have to pay anything. It is by no means enough to live on, but $15 here or there does help. I took a test to make sure I could communicate well and they asked me some basic info on my age, location, education. The company is based in MN, but they do have "shops" all over the country.

I am not comfortable on putting my email info out in public view. If you want to give me yours I can email you info.

Karen

Hi Karen hope all is going well for you since our cruise in April. It was nice meeting you. Send me an email. My email is listed below.

I am never happier than when I have a cruise planned and booked no matter how far ahead. With the market the last few weeks and the outlook for the economy I just want to fold into a ball and not plan anything until things look better - if they ever do. How do you feel about this? Is it affecting your plans?

look at it this way: if you don't need your money to live on right now, you really are fine. It will come back, it always does. We are not worrying about it enough to change any plans. Yes, we are not happy but as someone said at a neighborhood breakfast today: if you look at the market this time last year, all we have really lost in the past few weeks is some of our free money.

Nita

Archived