Fast track express from Civitavecchia to Rome

moqui_girl

Hi

We are traveling on the Adventure of the seas on 1st Oct and Civitavecchia is one of the ports of call. Naturally we would like to visit Rome but dont really want to go on the organised cruise excursion.

I know that you can catch a local train for about 10 euros but I have also seen people mention a Fast Track express train that runs specifically for cruise passengers and runs in and out of San Pietro station. I believe this has only been introduced this year and costs about 16.50 euros each and takes 30 mins. Despite some research I cant really find that much info on it.

Has anyone traveled on this train? If so, did you buy tickets in advance and can you recommend a reputable retailer.

Many thanks

Thanks Aquilegia - I know the train you are referring to but I dont think its that.

This is the info that I have found already.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c151384/Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Civitavecchia.html

http://smartcruisetours.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=169

Anyone know anymore????

Interesting--I looked all over the trenitalia site and couldn't find anything. Definitely warrants more digging.

Edited to add: I have been digging, not coming up with anything. You would think that being August 2011, if this is indeed a new service this year, that SOMEONE would have come forward with the info by now. All I can think is that if you go to "Roma Express" site and look at their tours, there is one that is just rail, and maybe that's just part of their regular tour options. No prices given.

I ALSO wonder if this is the cruise line-offered train and THEY are charged $16.50, then turn around and charge the pax $89 or whatever it is.

You're not going to find it on Trenitalia because even though it uses a Trenitalia train, runs on their tracks and stops at their stations, this isn't a Trenitalia service.

Someone, perhaps the company linked to above, or the cruise lines, or another third party, contracts for this service and offers it to cruise passengers.

You can get a sense of how Smart Cruise Tours makes money by looking at their offering of a BIRG ticket. They add a 17% markup to the face price of the ticket.

Thanks all for your comments. It is odd isn't it? I found a little bit more on this post. The poster refers to the train service at the bottom of the 8th reply. He implies that its experimental - maybe that's whys its not being publicised.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k4731196-l35258930-Fastest_way_into_Rome_from_Civitavecchia-Rome_Lazio.html

I agree it could be the train that the cruise ships are using but marking up hugely although the photos that the cruise companies show are not the same one that smart cruise tours are using. Also this train has been around for some time as I understand??

Well if anyone finds out more please let me know. If not, I guess I will just go with the local train. A shame as this sounds like a really good idea. If they aren't doing it already, they should!

Thanks!

I dunno; I'd probably be more interested in this if it left Civitavecchia earlier. Arriving at San Pietro at 10:00 am is not that great -- I can do better on the regular train if I get going early.....;)

(Also, San Pietro isn't always the best destination. Depends on what you want to do with your day in Rome.)

I agree on the time thing, and although initially intrigued, really could not think of a reason to spend the extra money over the BIRG ticket--maybe it saves a small amount of transit time but I really enjoy riding the train with the locals. There is something elitist to me about traveling exclusively with other cruise passengers--like we are too good to use the regular train.

Don't even get me started on the "Private Train to Rome" ripoff, um, I mean 'excursions'!!

I think the main appeal was leaving later and getting a bit of a lie in (I know my husband wont relish being up and out at 7.30am on his holidays!) and also being able to stay a little later due to the shorter transit time.

I have no issue with traveling on the local train - just checking out all the options.

After doing a bit more research this evening I agree with that the end station isnt the most convenient (particularly with what we have in mind) and so for that reason will probably stick with the local train!

Thanks for all this great info. How would we find out if the train will be running the day we are in port?

Here for your reading pleasure is the Google translation, interspersed with the original Italian:

Un treno speciale Civitavecchia-Roma per i croceristi A special train to Civitavecchia-Rome cruise passengers Ne potranno usufruire anche i pendolari, ma a prezzi di mercato e non regolati dalla Regione. It will also benefit commuters, but at market prices and not regulated by the Region. La sperimentazione partità a breve The experience some short-

CIVITAVECCHIA - Un treno dedicato che garantirà un collegamento no-stop tra Civitavecchia e Roma nei giorni e negli orari di maggior affluenza delle navi. Civitavecchia - A special train will ensure that a non-stop connection between Civitavecchia and Rome in the days and times more crowded ships. Lo annuncia la Regione, precisando che la sperimentazione del servizio partirà nel giro di pochissimi giorni e deriva dall'intesa che la Regione Lazio ha trovato con Trenitalia al fine di migliorare la qualità dell'offerta sia ai croceristi che ai pendolari. This was announced by the region, stating that the trial of the service will start within a few days and is derived from the cartel has found that the Region of Lazio with Trenitalia to improve the quality of the cruise is that commuters. Si tratta di uno dei primi risultati del tavolo messo in piedi dall'assessore regionale ailla Mobilità e Trasporti, Francesco Lollobrigida, per il monitoraggio e il miglioramento delle condizioni dei collegamenti fra Civitavecchia e Roma. This is one of the first results of the table set up by the Regional Mobility and Transport Aille, Francesco Lollobrigida, for monitoring and improving the links between Civitavecchia and Rome.

"Abbiamo aperto da più di tre mesi un tavolo tecnico con Trenitalia - spiega Lollobrigida - per l'analisi dei flussi di traffico del porto e per garantire un presidio più efficace della gestione dei croceristi ed avere il minore impatto sul traffico ordinario dei pendolari della linea per Roma". "We have opened more than three months with a technical Trenitalia - Lollobrigida says - for the analysis of traffic flows to ensure the port and a garrison of more effective management of cruise passengers and have the least impact on the ordinary traffic of the commuter line to Rome. " In base agli accordi, il treno dedicato sarà introdotto a condizioni di mercato e dunque non regolato dal contratto di servizio con la Regione.

Trenitalia ha informato l'assessorato di aver affidato il servizio di biglietteria aa un'agenzia di viaggi di Civitavedcchia posizionata all'uscita del porto, lungo il percorso obbligato che i croceristi devono compiere per recarsi alla stazione. Trenitalia has informed the Department that he entrusted the ticket service travel agency for academic Civitavedcchia positioned at the exit of the port, along the set path that cruise passengers have to make to get to the station. Un secondo punto vendita, gestito da una grande agenzia di viaggi già operativa in altre importanti stazioni ferroviarie italiane, verrà aperto entro l'anno all'interno della stazione di Civitavecchia. A second store, run by a large travel agencies already operating in other major Italian railway stations, will open later this year at the train station of Civitavecchia. Infine, per far fronte ai flussi di fine stagione, è stato definito un rafforzamento dei servizi di vendita e assistenza nella biglietteria di Civitavecchia. Finally, to cope with late-season flows, has been described as a reinforcement of the ticket sales and service of Civitavecchia.

Great info, thanks for keeping us up to date. I personally won't be there till mid-November so we will probably just take the regional as always.

We have been to Rome multiple times; thinking of going out to Hadrian's Villa/Tivoli. What would be our recommended route to get there from Civi?

Hi

We are traveling on the Adventure of the seas on 1st Oct and Civitavecchia is one of the ports of call. Naturally we would like to visit Rome but dont really want to go on the organised cruise excursion.

I know that you can catch a local train for about 10 euros but I have also seen people mention a Fast Track express train that runs specifically for cruise passengers and runs in and out of San Pietro station. I believe this has only been introduced this year and costs about 16.50 euros each and takes 30 mins. Despite some research I cant really find that much info on it.

Has anyone traveled on this train? If so, did you buy tickets in advance and can you recommend a reputable retailer.

Many thanks

You need to understand that even the inexpensive regional trains only take from 42 to 55 min to get from Civitavecchia to S. Pietro (it takes about another 20 min to get to Termini because of the routing of the tracks around Rome). Some of the ships so charter trains but we do not know whether it makes a lot of sense. Also keep in mind that you can buy a BIRG ticket for about 9 Euros that includes not only the round trip train ride to Rome but also covers unlimited use of Rome's underground Metro and the surface buses.

Hank

We have been to Rome multiple times; thinking of going out to Hadrian's Villa/Tivoli. What would be our recommended route to get there from Civi?

There are two ways to get there via public transit that I'm aware of, train and bus. We have been researching this recently for a trip in October.

I think this would be difficult for a day trip from Civitavecchia by public transit because of the amount of time you'd spend getting there and back; it's an hour from Rome by bus, plus about 15 minutes of walking time from the bus stop to Villa Adriana. To that you need to add at least an hour to get to Rome by train from Civitavecchia, so you'd have about two and a half hours each way just in transit, if everything goes right.

By train you will need to make two changes in Rome because the train line to Tivoli begins at Roma Tiburtina, so your routing is either Civitavecchia - Roma Ostiense - Roma Tiburtina - Tivoli or Civitavecchia - Roma Termini - Roma Tiburtina - Tivoli.

The train makes sense is your primary goal is Villa Gregoriana (0.2 mile from the station) or Villa d'Este (0.7 mile from the station). Both of these sites are located in the centro storico. Note that this is the Tivoli train station, located on Viale Mazzini, not the Bagni di Tivoli station.

If Villa Adriana is your goal, the bus seems to be easier and gets you closer as the train station is about three and a half miles away. By bus the best option is COTRAL Line 2 to Via Adriana, followed by a walk of about 0.8 miles.

You can get the bus in a couple of places, having been there/done that, I think the Ponte Mammolo station is the easiest. It's the next to the last stop on the B Metro line, which you can get at the Roma Ostiense train station.

Some good links:

Villa Gregoriana pdf brochure: http://www.tibursuperbum.it/eng/guide/TB-Guida-VillaGregoriana-ENG.pdf

Villa Gregoriana web site: http://www.villagregoriana.it/eng/main.htm

Villa d'Este pdf brochure: http://www.tibursuperbum.it/eng/guide/TB-Guida-Villadeste-ENG.pdf

Villa d'Este and Villa Adriana web site: http://www.tibursuperbum.it/eng/main.htm

COTRAL web site (bus information and schedules): http://www.cotralspa.it/ENG/Index.asp

Thanks as always for all that info. I guess I should have researched it more before posting. I knew it was about an hour from Rome but was thinking there was a more direct route than going all the way into Rome from the port. As this will just be a port stop, I will have to come up with another plan. There are probably two or three churches we haven't seen yet!!;)

We may just train in and wander aimlessly--sounds pretty good right about now! DH does owe me a dome climb at the Vatican--I keep telling him how great it is but I can never convince him to try it! We have also never done Castel Sant' Angelo--I keep hearing mixed reviews and at our hotel the last time they were very negative about it. There was so much else to see and do that we never made it. A lot will depend on weather, too.

Food for thought at any rate!

Thanks as always for all that info. I guess I should have researched it more before posting. I knew it was about an hour from Rome but was thinking there was a more direct route than going all the way into Rome from the port. As this will just be a port stop, I will have to come up with another plan. There are probably two or three churches we haven't seen yet!!;)

We may just train in and wander aimlessly--sounds pretty good right about now! DH does owe me a dome climb at the Vatican--I keep telling him how great it is but I can never convince him to try it! We have also never done Castel Sant' Angelo--I keep hearing mixed reviews and at our hotel the last time they were very negative about it. There was so much else to see and do that we never made it. A lot will depend on weather, too.

Wandering in Rome is always a good idea in my book.

I wonder why the hotel would have been negative about Castel Sant'Angelo, I think it's fascinating. The audioguide helps to understand the history and function of the place and is a good investment, you pick it up in the bookshop.

If you like sculpture and have already been to the Borghese gallery, check out San Francisco a Ripa in Trastevere to see Bernini's Ecstasy of Beata Ludovica Albertoni, it's amazing. In fact, an entire day of wandering in Trastevere and Giancolo would be nice. Santa Maria in Trastevere has phenomenal mosaics and is one of Rome's oldest churchs. Villa Farnesina is one of the most undervisited sites in Rome and has some wonderful Raphael frescos as well as an impressive staircase. Heading up the Giancolo hill (a good workout if you like to walk, or a nice bus ride if you'd rather not) you can see Bramante's Tempietto (at San Pietro in Montorio); continuing to the top of the hill you have a beautiful view. If you're up there around noon you'll be right where they fire the noon cannon. Back down in Trastevere there's also Santa Cecilia.

Focusing on one or two small areas like this gives you a different perspective on the city. These are quieter areas, somewhat away from the typical tourist crush, yet easily reached by train from Civitavecchia (Trastevere stop, followed by the either the #8 tram or the #3 bus or tram). One suggestion if you choose to do something like this is to make notes on the opening times, as many of these sites close for several hours at mid-day, and Villa Farnesina used to close for the day at 1 PM.

Great suggestions. We have wandered in Trastevere before but obviously missed a lot of the treasures. I will research these but it sounds like a nice easy plan for the day. I know if we're in Rome DH will want to go to our favorite restaurant for lunch (and dessert!!;)), over by the Spansh Steps, so this may work as an early AM plan.

Thanks!!

Alejgia, We are going to spend a couple of days in your city. Please, a couple of questions. Any information about the train from the airport to Civi? Is there a good place for cruise critic people to meet up for drinks in Civi? Good down home food? Thank you so much for any information. Sue

This conversation has shed light on a problem about which I was unaware. I don't know what to do about it exactly, but if the cruise traffic in a particular port is creating this level of hardship on locals reaching their workplace, then I think independent travelers need to give some consideration.

I live in a city that gets heavy tourist visits at certain (thankfully, short!) periods of the year, and I've seen the impact on the downtown commute. I don't wish anything similar on our hosts in Civitavecchia as they try to make their way to work each day for months on end. On the other hand, I don't want a situation in which tourists become totally unwelcome on the scheduled regional trains from Civitavecchia and are forced use "on your own' train/bus transportation, dedicated tourist train cars, private drivers, etc.

Alejgia...our next visit is on Saturday when I expect commute traffic is lighter. But could you tell me whether we would impact commute traffic on a weekday if we were on earlier trains -- ie: 6:22am, 6:33am, 6:59am? Is most of the problem on the 7:33 and 7:59 trains?

While I can appreciate the difficulties for local commuters, implying that visitors are somehow scamming the system by purchasing a perfectly legal product, the BIRG ticket, is going a tad too far.

If the ATAC intended for this ticket to only be used as you seem to think, they could restrict its sale and use, but they do not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with visitors purchasing or using this ticket and it is disingenuous to say on one hand that you want to be helpful, yet imply on the other that visitors are getting away with something they are not entitled to.

In fact, if the governing agencies cared about covering this revenue gap, they would clamp down on services like the one I pointed out who do nothing but sell the BIRG with an added markup.

For those that plan to do Rome on their own here is some interesting info (or I think it is interesting):

Fast Train to Rome Combined ticket (BIRG): take any regional trains + use public transportation all day in Rome!

Hmmm well I copied and pasted but not all of it came through. The site is www.smartcruisetours.com And you can buy BIRG ticket voucher online and exchange before you get to train station avoiding the long lines. Also there is apparently a fast train to Rome that leaves at 9:30am and gets to Rome at 10am. It is cost a little more but might be worth it as it apparently avoids the commuters allowing you a seat.

Archived