About the food...

AXiDMonica

[quote name='dvarone']Looks like this could be my first, and last, Carnival Cruise. What is cruise if not for the good foods? No shrimp cocktail? Meatloaf? Gee, the ships profits must have dropped to under a million per trip. Just like the government,they must have the passengers sacrifice something to make up for it. Magic, Sept 4[/quote]

dvarone,

One of the problems with the boards is that people new to Carnival believe everything that is posted here. Some comments over the last few days about food and menus represent huge overreactions.

Over the last ten years, we have sailed NCL, Disney, RCCL, Norwegian and Disney. Each of them, except NCL, more than once. Carnival's food compares very favorably to each of them. In fact, I would submit that Disney provides the worst food of all the cruiselines we have experienced and it ranks as one of the most expensive.

Do not fret. Be excited about your cruise and your very special itinerary. You will not be disappointed with the food. And the font used on the menu will likely not offend your sensabilites.

Enjoy and report back when you are home!

You are right, we'll just wait and see. We got hooked with an NCL trip to Bermuda, that had an excellent menu and high quality food. A different Vegas quality act every night, along with the regular singers and dancers. The Second City Comedy Troupe from Chicago. They revolve the acts between ships so that we see something different almost every night. I am not hearing great stuff about the Magic, as the shows are short and a lot of embarrassing audience participation junk. But we will keep an open mind. We are going in order to see Europe, we'll probably be too tired at night, anyway.

I recently got off the 8/2 sailing on the MIracle, and we had the new menus. I do think there were a bit fewer options (almost every main dish was served withthe same sides dishes), and the new section of "comfort foods" are not usually my idea of comfort foods. That being said, the food we had was excellent. They had great fried chicken, great ribs, great prime ribs, and the comfort food I did order (nothing else appealed to me that day) was some kind of brisket or pot roast (which seemed to be served twice --possibly named something different each time). It was absolutely delicious.

after loking at most of the responses, my first thought is perhaps you should try a different cruise line. although nothing is the same as it once was as far as quality and value, if the quality of the menu is of some importance to you, why in the world would you even consider a carnival cruise? how bout thinking out of your comfort zone, and trying celebrity? in my opinion, Carnival and foood quality shouldn't even be in the same sentence. if you need to have nightlife and waterparks, the menu is not your first concern. try a better cruiseline. the quality of their food isn't what it once was either. ( why should they give you something for free when they can charge for it?) that said Carnival and good food is kind of an oxymoron.

[quote name='mikel24m']

Im waiting for Carnival to have King crab legs .The big ones ;)[/quote]
If you're holding your breath waiting for Carnival to have King Crab legs, then your face will be bluer than the avatar you used in your posting. They don't even have a king crab cocktail up in the steakhouse.

[quote name='Green Boy']

people are having a fit over the meatloaf on the menu... if you don't want it, don't order it... plain and simple, it's not the only thing on the menu but it seems people are griping about the "comfort menu". they still have most of the regular food too. :)[/quote]
Another way to look at the comfort food section is that it is a way to satisfy those finicky teenagers and kids in the MDR that do not want to eat off of the kids menu and do not like anything on the regular menu. Fried chicken, bacon mac n cheese, meatloaf, etc are all examples to fill the void, make parents happier and in turn, happier parents equal repeat cruisers.

[quote name='erinfassett']Can someone please give me the link to an example of the new menus? I tried looking for John's blog on carnival.com but could not find it. I am not sure I like the sound of BBQ ribs??? What version?[/quote]
[url]http://66.228.60.90/Didja%20menus/[/url]

The ones dated 8/15 are the seven day menus, plus the everyday. The ones dated 8/16 are the daily desserts

I sailed the Sapphire Princes this june they served meatloaf as a main dish not as a add-on. Go to other lines if you like you may be suprised and whish you were back on Carnival. Royal I love there ships but keep there food, on Princes some nights the food was beter some were lots worse, you can keep there pay resterants they sucked !!! We cruise whats [U]cheep[/U] I will do RCCL again if the price is there not Princes the buffet was ineatable. I am on the Victory in Jan. and can't wait for the FROG-LEGS

[quote name='AXiDMonica']Everyone is heated about the new menus. I just sailed in June and had a chance to try the new menus. They are NOTHING like the old ones.

For those of you who are saying that "meatloaf is served at fancy places" ... Yes, it is. But the [B]quality[/B] and [B]preparation[/B] that goes into meatloaf at a fancy restaurant is [B][I][U]NOT[/U][/I][/B] the same as what is offered onboard.

Also... someone said something along the lines of "i dont see a problem with choices, they have escargot and i would love to try it." Let's put that into perspective -- the escargot they are serving you in the MDR from this new menu is [U][I][B]NOWHERE NEAR[/B][/I][/U] the same quality, for example, as the escargot they are serving in the Steakhouse 6 decks above on the SAME sailing.

[B]I don't think it's the fact that the choices are "ordinary" ... it's the fact that the QUALITY, TASTE, PREPARATION, etc. is subpar.[/B]

(And don't even get me started on the shrimp cocktail thing. I almost cried at dinner one the first night when I tried to order my usual and was told it is no longer on the menu every night. Will 4 shrimp REALLY affect the bottom line? Come on now...)

Thanks for listening. I just had to.[/quote]

as expected, it smoked mirror to the menu change, and as i expected, was another downgrade in food quality.

reading all these threads, i'm beginning to think a lot of people don't know what good food quality is.

their loss.

and the downgrade is all ours.

the major plan is all becoming exposed.

get rid of the guest card. downgrade service, food, entertainment. get everyone to focus on the low fares. elect an ambassador to say calm down, everything is alright, as the lifeboats are already gone, and the ship is past critical.

I believe that many Carnival cruisers are more interested in quantity than quality. Carnival could have saved more money by simply discontinuing, or at least limiting, the "as many as you want" courses in the main dining room.

I also feel that when people are determined to wear t-shirts, flip flops, trucker caps, and cut off jeans to dinner will end up getting exactly what they deserve. And what's funny is that most will never understand the irony in that.

[quote name='H82seaUgo']
reading all these threads, i'm beginning to think a lot of people don't know what good food quality is.
[/quote]

First, I believe that in some cases (not all) people get comfortable...so changes are ok within the line because to make a change and try another line and see there is a difference out there is just something they can't do.
OR they just don't wnat to pay for something better because what CCL has is sufficient.
OR
I do think that also in SOME cases, one would not know if CCL isn't as good as it used to be because they don't know what used to be.

In other cases, some poeple really just don't eat much beyond meatloaf...and that's OK. I like to try crazy stuff but I have two adult kids and [I]one of them[/I] gags at the thought of trying something new. :rolleyes: So although it pains me to know end, it also helps me to understand people who like meatloaf LOL!!!

And, there are people like me who are CCL fans...difference is that they are loyal fans and I am not loyal to a cruise line. I'm not loyal to anything I purchase.

I don't think it's about people not understanding quality at all...because everyone's guage of quality is [I]very [/I]varied.

I am still hoping and praying when I get on the ship in Nov that the food blows me away and the entertainment is good enough that I don't wish I were on another ship....because after [I]THAT[/I] cruise I have a 15 day CCL booked for the spring that includes 8 sea days. :eek:

[quote name='iceleven']
I also feel that when people are determined to wear t-shirts, flip flops, trucker caps, and cut off jeans to dinner will end up getting exactly what they deserve. And what's funny is that most will never understand the irony in that.[/quote]

Oh...you are so preaching to the choir with that statement! I mentioned to my GF that I was thinking about succumbing to the pressure and I was going to wear dressy shorts to the MDR for a change of pace on a couple of nights and she looked at me like I was nuts. I do miss the days of dining, not just eating. I will have to enjoy my 1 night up in the Steakhouse and pay the extra 30 bucks to dine.

I DO like food and I enjoy the dining on cruises, no doubt. We've never eaten at the buffet for dinner. My entire family loves being in the dining room, dressing up and savoring what is available. I hate fried chicken and we eat plenty of meatloaf at home. I can't imagine we will ever order either of those items.

However, it just seems like people are having some extreme reactions to the menu changes. I don't understand why someone would feel their cruise was ruined or want to cry because an item was taken off the menu. It is all good folks, if the menus are that disappointing Carnival may respond or people may move on to other lines.

Food is a big deal for us on a cruise because that's where we skimp to save money on other types of vacations. We enjoy the MDR food and experience which we wouldn't do or do as much on other vacations.

We cruised on the Fascination in June and the Quality was EXCELLENT! Did notice the portions were smaller so we just ordered two of an item (or two different items for variety) if we wanted a bigger portion.

I think all of the major cruiselines have cut back on quality of food in order to maintain pricing. My wife and I took our first cruise in 1988, and take a cruise on average once a year. The pricing for that 4-day Bahama's Cruise was almost identical to the same cruise today. If you stil want the 4-star menu's start crusing with the SiLver Seas, and Oceania Crusie Lines and see what you have to pay extra to get that menu.
;)

DH and I can take a 7 day cruise with a balcony on Carnival and still pay less than 2 roundtrip first class airline tickets to a destination city of choice. I'm thinking that I'm not going to complain about a food switch-up.

BTW - haven't paid for those first class airline tickets but did have a friend who used her points to upgrade me once....they served a meal....it wasn't as good as one I'd get on a cruise ship and it would have been a heck of a lot more money!

[quote name='jbanana1']Food is a big deal for us on a cruise because that's where we skimp to save money on other types of vacations. We enjoy the MDR food and experience which we wouldn't do or do as much on other vacations.

We cruised on the Fascination in June and the Quality was EXCELLENT! Did notice the portions were smaller so we just ordered two of an item (or two different items for variety) if we wanted a bigger portion.[/quote]

But...please explain....how can Carnival continue the "MDR Experience" at a price you can afford?

People...you cannot have it both ways....cheap prices and "quality" food

I honestly don't get all the complaining.

If you don't want meatloaf or ribs.. it's YOUR CHOICE to NOT order it.

I, for one, am happy about the changes I've seen ..and I'm a very picky, mainly chicken, eater.

I think some of you just like to hear yourself complain.

[quote name='kwadley']Hey, if I don't have to cook it or clean up afterwards it qualifies as "good". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :)[/quote]

and this attitude is a major source of why Carnival can get away with dumbing down the entire fleet.

[quote name='zqvol']and this attitude is a major source of why Carnival can get away with dumbing down the entire fleet.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you if I thought Carnival was doing this. But, I think what they are doing is trying to keep prices low for consumers. We have been in a recession in this country - not everyone can afford what they used to. I think Carnival realizes this - wants to keep their customer base and continue to offer 'value' cruising.

You can definitely sail on Carnival and get more upscale everything....as long as it is one of their other lines: Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, Costa, etc.... Those are all upscale and they are all owned by Carnival. But you know what? You are going to pay more - and that's the bottom line.

I look at it this way: when we go to the beach for a 7 day vacation, we
go out to dinner each night and it's about 80.00-100.00 each night.. that is 700.00 just for dinner for the 7 day vacation... then you have breakfast & lunch on top of that, plus the cost of the condo.

so you are looking at another 400.00 for lunch and breakfast for the 7 days... and they you have the entertainment on top of that..
so i'm happy with the price of the cruise and the food it serves.

if I felt like I needed 4 star food, I could stay on land and spend over a 1,000.00 just for food... NOT ME... i'm going cruising and enjoy everything I can for a good price... JMO...:)

Archived