Trip to Giants Causeway or Belfast Political tour for first time visitor?

stipmom

We just did both on an Oceania cruise last month. There are loads of private companies that will take you to either or both. If you only have time for one, I would go with the Giants Causeway - there really is nothing like it.

Speaking as someone who lives in Belfast I would say doing both is definitely do-able. This place is tiny and easy to get around quickly.

If however you only want to do one I would recommend the Giants Causeway but as others have said stopping along the way. I would recommend going to the Causeway via the Coastal Route passing Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Then Giants Causeway (nb. Visitor Facilities are very limited at the moment as they are rebuilding), then perhaps Bushmills Distillery.

If you left for the Giants Causeway (and just did it) at 8ish then you could be back in Belfast around 1 or 2 at the latest to do a Political Tour or a general city tour for an hour or two....

If you need any more help or details let me know!

Unless you're really into politics, then, as all others have said; Giant's Causeway is the way to go. A wholly unique natural feature, and some great coastline along the way.

Try & do the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, and hope for some good wild weather :eek: ; but it makes photo taking a challenge :rolleyes: . It's a great experience.

Although you could easily do both, my preference would be to really enjoy one or the other, rather than compromise my time trying to fit both in...

Whichever you choose; enjoy...

• 4 weeks later...
What do you recommend if you can't do both.?

Click on

to see what you will be missing if you don’t drive up the Antrim Coast to the Giants Causeway. Our tour was arranged by the company listed in the video description on youtube. It was a great day! The scenery was awesome to say the least.

Titanic Quarter http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D_9yIXzhAF4Y is being planned for the area alongside the famous Harland and Wolff docks where the Titanic was built. The development is mixed use residential, retail, and leisure incorporating the titanic signature experience celebrating the maritime industries. This is just across from where cruise ships dock. I’m not sure how much progress has been made given the economy.

Enjoy the cruise.

Ron

We just returned from the Prinsendam Celtic cruise and had a very full day in Belfast. We had a private tour for 12 of us with McComb tours and got to see much of what you're describing. We all met here on cruise critic. Beautiful drive up the Antrim coast, stop at the rope bridge which DH crossed (bit of a strenous walk there and back), drive to Giant's Causeway and hike down to the stones, lunch at the Bushmill Distillery, then drive back to Belfast for more than an hour-long city tour before returning to the ship. Our driver/guide gave us excellent background on The Troubles as he drove all around Belfast neighborhoods, some still badly scarred from the sectarian violence. We stopped at several walls full of murals that expressed all different political views. There is much construction going on in Belfast and an optimistic outlook for the future. The only thing I wish we'd had time for was stopping at some castles. We felt the tour was well worth the cost, still much cheaper than the ship's tours that didn't cover half as much.

Brigitte

We just returned from the Prinsendam Celtic cruise and had a very full day in Belfast. We had a private tour for 12 of us with McComb tours and got to see much of what you're describing. We all met here on cruise critic. Beautiful drive up the Antrim coast, stop at the rope bridge which DH crossed (bit of a strenous walk there and back), drive to Giant's Causeway and hike down to the stones, lunch at the Bushmill Distillery, then drive back to Belfast for more than an hour-long city tour before returning to the ship. Our driver/guide gave us excellent background on The Troubles as he drove all around Belfast neighborhoods, some still badly scarred from the sectarian violence. We stopped at several walls full of murals that expressed all different political views. There is much construction going on in Belfast and an optimistic outlook for the future. The only thing I wish we'd had time for was stopping at some castles. We felt the tour was well worth the cost, still much cheaper than the ship's tours that didn't cover half as much.

Brigitte

I just booked my tour for next summer with Paddy Campbell's Black Cab Tours and the only castle I noticed is Donluce Castle, which is ruins of a Medieval castle. He offered to include the murals as part of the tour which includes stops at the Rope Bridge, Ballycastle, Giant's Causeway, and the Bushmill's Distillery.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I took the Celtic cruise on the Prinsendam from Sept 1 to Sept 14, 2011. My wife spent some time selecting a car and driver to meet us in Belfast. Arrangements with www.belfastattractions.co.uk were trouble-free, courteous, and with attention to personal details. Not only did our driver take us to all the great sites in Northern Ireland, he also gave us a political tour of Belfast. We highly recommend such a multifacted tour to get a true understanding of the culture of the people in this beautiful, verdant land. We got to spend the day in a car our driver called "The White Princess." She's great. Ask for her. We got lucky with her :) Maybe you should spend the day with her too!

My wife and I took the Celtic cruise on the Prinsendam from Sept 1 to Sept 14, 2011. My wife spent some time selecting a car and driver to meet us in Belfast. Arrangements with www.belfastattractions.co.uk were trouble-free, courteous, and with attention to personal details. Not only did our driver take us to all the great sites in Northern Ireland, he also gave us a political tour of Belfast. We highly recommend such a multifacted tour to get a true understanding of the culture of the people in this beautiful, verdant land. We got to spend the day in a car our driver called "The White Princess." She's great. Ask for her. We got lucky with her :) Maybe you should spend the day with her too!

We might be interested in going with this company.

How many were there in your group?

If there were 6, would it be crowded in the car? How would 6 people sit? Is it a taxi?

What was the cost?

They have a couple of tours listed, which one did you take or did you make up your own tour?

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Emerald Princess cruise a few weeks ago. We spent a day in Belfast and I organized a private tour for 27 people from the ship. It was a great day and we got to see so many things because I planned the itinerary w/ the tour company I booked. We did a city tour after our pickup at the port, learned the history, murals, etc., then headed to the Giants Causeway, did the rope bridge, and some shopping, lunch along the way. There is plenty of time to do both. I would be happy to give you the tour company info if you like. I found the prices from company to company varying so you need to do your homework. Most of the companies I contacted wanted to be pre-paid for the tour but we didn't pay until the day of the tour. Our driver was very informative and had a great sense of that Irish humor. We loved Belfast, thought the scenery along the coastal route was superb and better than other places we have been too. The "stones" are an amazing sight to see, you won't believe it until you see it.

Hope this helps.

Mary

P.S. the tour company I used can accommodate smaller groups also. I originally started w/ 15 for the tour but it grew until I had 27!

I will have to say that our trip to the Giants Causeway along the coastal route was one very spectacular trip. The scenery was amazing and perhaps some of the prettiest views we have ever seen. Rolling hills, lovely homes, farms, sheep, etc.

The Giants Causeway in itself is very spectacular and has to be seen to believe it. Very unique experience. We truly loved our day in Belfast and it has become one of our favorites.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the planning stages for a summer 2012 cruise. This tour sounds great. Any info you can share will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dancing Lady

quote=cruisingmimi;30989155]We just returned from our Emerald Princess cruise a few weeks ago. We spent a day in Belfast and I organized a private tour for 27 people from the ship. It was a great day and we got to see so many things because I planned the itinerary w/ the tour company I booked. We did a city tour after our pickup at the port, learned the history, murals, etc., then headed to the Giants Causeway, did the rope bridge, and some shopping, lunch along the way. There is plenty of time to do both. I would be happy to give you the tour company info if you like. I found the prices from company to company varying so you need to do your homework. Most of the companies I contacted wanted to be pre-paid for the tour but we didn't pay until the day of the tour. Our driver was very informative and had a great sense of that Irish humor. We loved Belfast, thought the scenery along the coastal route was superb and better than other places we have been too. The "stones" are an amazing sight to see, you won't believe it until you see it.

Hope this helps.

Mary

P.S. the tour company I used can accommodate smaller groups also. I originally started w/ 15 for the tour but it grew until I had 27!

Dancing Lady, here is who we booked our tour with.

email: info@odysseycoachtours.co.uk

Jim Monaghan is the contact person

We did the Giants Causeway tour but Jim & I tailored it to what we wanted to see that day. We had a very full day of touring and were very pleased w/ Odyssey Coach Tours. If you want to email me for further info about prices, etc., please feel free to do so. socolady@msn.com (just put NOT SPAM in subject line)

Mary

The Giants Causeway was one of the highlights of our British Isles / Norwegian Fiords cruise. My husband had planned to get a little group together from our CC roll call and hire a car and driver. We had so many people wanting to go that we ended up hiring a whole bus!! :eek: It turned out to be a really, really fun trip. You can see pictures of what it's like on our website at http://www.thepreismans.com. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Mary,

We are going to be in Belfast and would appreciate if you would email me the info on your tour. My email is: cruiserwooten@yahoo.com

Thanks, Greg

We just returned from our Emerald Princess cruise a few weeks ago. We spent a day in Belfast and I organized a private tour for 27 people from the ship. It was a great day and we got to see so many things because I planned the itinerary w/ the tour company I booked. We did a city tour after our pickup at the port, learned the history, murals, etc., then headed to the Giants Causeway, did the rope bridge, and some shopping, lunch along the way. There is plenty of time to do both. I would be happy to give you the tour company info if you like. I found the prices from company to company varying so you need to do your homework. Most of the companies I contacted wanted to be pre-paid for the tour but we didn't pay until the day of the tour. Our driver was very informative and had a great sense of that Irish humor. We loved Belfast, thought the scenery along the coastal route was superb and better than other places we have been too. The "stones" are an amazing sight to see, you won't believe it until you see it.

Hope this helps.

Mary

• 10 months later...

Archived