Best line for Hawaii?

DeeCT

Hello everyone!!

My Hubby and I are beginning to research for our 20th anniversary trip, and a cruise to Hawaii is in the running. What is the best cruise line to take to the islands, and what are the differences?

thanks!!!

Dee

If you've only got 7 days, you've only got one choice. The NCLA Pride of America sailing Honolulu roundtrip.

If you have 14-15 nights you can take Princess or Holland America roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Diego respectively.

There are longer itineraries, and other repositioning cruises that visit Hawaii as well.

Best recommendation: contact an agent the specializes in cruises to assist you with making the right choice.

Thanks Mr Cruise!!! Time is not a issue, we have the vacation time :)

I almost forgot, Celebrity is also doing a 15 night roundtrip from San Diego too.

If you've got a lot of time, you might want to consider the even longer itineraries including Tahiti etc. as well. These are about a month in duration and the most convenient of itineraries sail roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Diego on Princess, Cunard or Holland America.

Congrats,

You are sure you want to cruise? IMHO the best way to see the Islands when you got lots of vacation time and $ is 2 weeks, 2-3 islands car and a nice condo on each island. With time and money and a vehicle one can really explore the delights of the island.

Congrats,

You are sure you want to cruise? IMHO the best way to see the Islands when you got lots of vacation time and $ is 2 weeks, 2-3 islands car and a nice condo on each island. With time and money and a vehicle one can really explore the delights of the island.

This is also in the running, like I said we are just starting to research ideas... and while it is time consuming, it's also a BLAST!!!! :)

D

I'm biased as I've taken the RT from LA twice on Princess, exactly five years apart. In the past few years, Princess has hired this amazing musical duo called Elua that has made the program onboard unique in that it's the only ship I know of that makes the time at sea all about the itinerary. Before then, yes, the Princess ships that sailed to Hawaii had activities such as lei making and uke lessons. But in the past year, you board the Hawaiian cruise and there's Hawaiian music every day (you can find lounges without it and with other types of music, including classical), lei making, hula dancing, uke classes, seminars (that go beyond the usual port talks -- more about the culture), even items on each night's menu that are tropically-inspired (these are marked with pineapple symbols).

IMO, if I just wanted to see the islands, I would skip the floating hotel and stay on a couple of islands (using the intra-island flights/ferries) just as I had my first couple of times. But for a great experience, I would recommend the Princess cruise from the west coast.

NCL's itinereary is a winner for Hawaii. Loaded time in Hawaii at an excellent value with meals, lodging and transportation in one. Add car rentals and gas, it's excellent. But don't expect a "typical" cruise. If you want Hawaii then this is a great choice. :)

I have my fifth NCL trip booked for 2/12, with an additional week on Big Island.

a cruise to Hawaii is in the running. What is the best cruise line to take to the islands, and what are the differences?

Dee

You have to remember that a cruise that originates in the West Coast takes 4-5 days on the ocean before it gets to the Islands and the same time to go back to the West Coast.

So if you like ocean cruising, you'll be spending ten days on the ocean. Also the cruise ship usually does not include Kauai and usually spends a day on Maui and Hawaii (Island).

If you going to Hawaii to visit, POA PLUS a couple days on various islands in a condo or hotel is a better choice.

We loved Holland America 15 day round trip from San Diego. Now we have booked Hawaii and Tahiti cruise round trip from San Diego. We love the sea days and HAL does them well with a native guide on board, as other talks and activities and HAL's itineray includes Kauai.

Golden Princess itinerary does include Kauai... we'll be doing the 14 day itinerary in a little over a month:)

The Golden does go to Kauai so the previous poster was absolutely wrong. You're going to love the Golden! Have an extra chocolate cookie from the International Cafe for me (I sooooo miss 'em).

We have sailed HAL--- Holland America---to Hawaii twice, on 2 different ships, and loved every minute of it.

In 2012 we are sailing Princess to Hawaii. We are taking DS and DIL with us, and they wanted a ship with alot of activities that suited their needs.

We like the sea days, and the relaxing atmosphere onboard.

Pat

It should also be noted that only NCL (Pride of America) can do overnights in the ports. The POAm overnights in both Maui and Kauai and you can come and go all night long. (the gangway never closes).

NCL also docks in Kahalui (Maui), Hilo and Kauai. The only tender port is Kona. Ships that stop at Lahania (Maui) must tender as ships cannot dock in that shallow water port.

We've done both the island-hopping and the PoA (with a few nights in Honolulu to start). On the PoA, my wife actually missed the days at sea which would have been more relaxing that most days with planned onshore activities.

I would say do a two week cruise if you really want to relax at sea. Otherwise, for the PoA I would recommend adding a few days on one or two islands: Kauai or the big island if you want more scenic relaxation, Maui or Oahu if you want more things to do. Note that a few airlines do fly directly from the mainland into Maui in addition to Honolulu, which could cut down on an inter-island flight.

Biggest pain of doing island hopping on your own rather than the PoA is the half a day minimum you will kill packing/airport/flight/unpacking for each hop. We were also delayed on one flight which killed a planned evening show for us.

It should also be noted that only NCL (Pride of America) can do overnights in the ports. The POAm overnights in both Maui and Kauai and you can come and go all night long. (the gangway never closes).

NCL also docks in Kahalui (Maui), Hilo and Kauai. The only tender port is Kona. Ships that stop at Lahania (Maui) must tender as ships cannot dock in that shallow water port.

RCI is also doing overnight in Maui...:)

Yes, they do tender. The tenders run all night long.

• 2 weeks later...

We blog our trips and there are links below for our trip with Celebrity Mercury from San Diego and again on the Golden Princess from LA. We are taking another trip on Hal's Ms. Oosterdam Feb 25, 2012.

The sea days are SO relaxing on the way out then you can do as much as you want on port days and have 4 days to relax again on the way back.

Sea conditions were different each time even though we went the same time of the year both times.

There are pictures of all areas of the Golden Princess. Enjoy!

Hi waf125- Great cruise clock

I'll see you on board. There are 12 of us making our way from Vermont

Hi!

You should join our roll call..don't get overwhelmed at the size of it. :D Just stop by and introduce yourselves. I love getting to know people before they cruise. It's so much fun!

I like your cruise clock, too!!:p:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188014&page=267

Archived