Cabin steward tipping?

flyingv4me

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You'll have a great cruise, I'm sure. If you haven't already been over to your Roll Call, do check out that Forum and find others on your cruise. Also sign up for your Connections Party to meet your Cruise Critic friends face-to-face on the ship.

I went to my cruise roll call, made a post, it was there for a day and then was gone. Did I do something wrong? Maybe I'm being sensitive, but as a new member maybe I'm supposed to be an experienced cruiser before I can join a roll call? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? :confused:

I went to my cruise roll call, made a post, it was there for a day and then was gone. Did I do something wrong? Maybe I'm being sensitive, but as a new member maybe I'm supposed to be an experienced cruiser before I can join a roll call? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? :confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There are a number of reasons a post would be pulled. Some posters without realizing it ,violate a rule. For example, they might mention the name of a travel agent. Sometimes there just might be a technical error that caused the post to go missing. One of the Hosts might be able to be more specific. Sort of a Catch 22; Don't know why pulled without reading it; however, if you post it again to let us read it, it might be pulled again. Go back to the roll call and try again. You might say something like: Hello, I'm new to this Board and have recently booked this cruise. Hope to meet everyone". See if that works.

There is a new thread saying that there is a problem with the roll call forum. That's most likely your problem. Wait for it to be fixed and post again.

Not to worry--all the posts on our Roll Call after August 6th have disappeared!! Just go back and post again--it is not you!

Okay- so I need some clarification here as I've only been on one cruise and am about to go solo on my second- to be clear,.. my prepaid gratuities (what? $11 per day per person??) mean I don't need to tip my steward(s) unless I get exceptional service?? I thought the "end of cruise" tip was pretty much mandatory? Being a very low-maintenence cruiser should make life really a lot easier on my steward... should I still tip at end of cruise or no?? And since it's just me in the room, how much is appropriate?? *last question: If I'm a 100% NOT a wine drinker, do I still tip the Sommellier in the MDR??

KDC1224,

The prepaid gratuities have replaced the end of cruise cash tips. It means you don't have to carry around a bunch of extra cash. Unless you receive extraordinary service, your prepaid gratuities should be fine. As for traveling solo, I have always tipped the normal per person amount and extra only if it warranted. I think the cabin stewards understand that you had to pay a pretty penny to have your cabin solo.

On our very recent cruise I tipped our cabin guy $20 the first night. My daughter had recently injured her knee and would need to ice it every night. I asked for extra extra ice each night along with some extra pillows and sure enough we would return to the cabin after dinner and show and he would show up shortly after with the ice. I think tipping up front if you know your going to need extra attention goes a long way.

On our cruise in last March I asked the cabin steward to bring tea & coffee for us each morning at 8 & gave her $20. (I figured this was easier than tipping each morning). It worked really well. Drinks arrived promptly each morning. Everything else she did during the 2 weeks was exemplary & she got another tip at the end of the cruise:)

I , too, have prepaid my gratuities, and I have never given an

additional tip up front . You will not be short changed on service.

What I like to do is to bring a small personal gift, that I keep in reserve

in case I have a very good steward. For example, our last cruise left

from Baltimore, and I brought a Baltimore Ravens windbreaker, which I

gave to our cabin steward after he got mattress pads for us to make our

beds more comfortable. I've also given mementos of Washington, DC

to staff members. Most of the crew are foreigners, and seem to appreciate

these individualized gifts that they can take home with them.......but

again, I stress you don't have to do any of these, you prepaid tip will

suffice.

Most people will tip for room service at the time of delivery when it is delivered by someone other than their stateroom attendant, since you may never see that person again and may have a different person delivering your order each time. Some of us keep small bills in a drawer close at hand for that purpose.

When your regular stateroom attendant is the one delivering the room service order, there is no need for separate room service tips. You pay daily tips for your stateroom attendant when you use automated tipping.

Many passengers will give an additional tip at the end of the cruise if they feel it has been merited. You can also increase the amount of the automated tips if you wish to give additional tips that way.

I , too, have prepaid my gratuities, and I have never given an

additional tip up front . You will not be short changed on service.

What I like to do is to bring a small personal gift, that I keep in reserve

in case I have a very good steward. For example, our last cruise left

from Baltimore, and I brought a Baltimore Ravens windbreaker, which I

gave to our cabin steward after he got mattress pads for us to make our

beds more comfortable. I've also given mementos of Washington, DC

to staff members. Most of the crew are foreigners, and seem to appreciate

these individualized gifts that they can take home with them.......but

again, I stress you don't have to do any of these, you prepaid tip will

suffice.

I know you mean well, but do you have any idea how miniscule the cabins the staff occupy are? They have no room for extra stuff. Of course they thanked you graciously. They are gracious people.

In my view, the best possible way for you to show appreciation to the staff is cash. This is something they can all use and it doesn't take up any room.

Archived