Cabin steward tipping?

flyingv4me

My wife and I are booked for our first cruise (!) on the Reflection Inaugural European Cruise in October 2012. We are using the Select Dining option so tips are pre-paid; however, I read about people giving their cabin steward a tip when you first meet, both as a thank you and to help ensure you get great service during the cruise. As I've said, we are completely new to this and want to ensure everything goes well and that we don't make any cruise mistakes. Is the early tip a good idea?

Thanks for any comments. This is a great site!

Bruce & Lockie

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You'll have a great cruise, I'm sure. If you haven't already been over to your Roll Call, do check out that Forum and find others on your cruise. Also sign up for your Connections Party to meet your Cruise Critic friends face-to-face on the ship.

I have never given a tip up front and have always had wonderful service. The stewards certainly don't expect it and won't be "holding back" if they don't get a pre-cruise tip -- they will work hard for you all cruise long, always with a smile and a greeting when they see you.

I never tip up front either. Wait till the end.

Here's a web site that can help you figure out what the average tipping is for your cabin:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Here's your roll call - post there and meet your fellow passengers!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1395850

Thank you for your reply! I know it was a dumb question! I'll check the roll call. My first cruise is a maiden voyage, so that will be interesting!

It was not a dumb quesion :). We never give a tip upfront and have always received great service. Since you have already pre-paid your tip it is not necessary to give another tip but I am sure it would be appreciated if your room steward does a wonderful job.

Have a great cruise.

I have never tipped upfront. I usually try to engage the steward in a brief conversation. Ask him where he/she is from and if I know the area I mention something positive about it. My goal is for him/her to feel very comfortable with us. Always say "hi" when I see them and express appreciation for service. I add an extra tip at the end with a "thank you" note. Believe me, if you cruise often the word gets around.

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll love the experience. The pre-paid tips with select dining reminds me of being charged an automatic gratuity for large groups. I understand about word getting around about you as you become a more regular cruiser.

Maybe I need a pre-cruise cruise to get me feet wet! LOL!

Your tips are prepaid...and the steward knows it. If you request a extra service, you may want to tip. On one cruise, my suitcase wheel broke. The butler had it fixed. That was great. I tried to tip him, but he refused. He was a true gentleman. On other cruises, the extra tips are accepted with a smile. The service is usually good.

We also tip if we order room service. On early port days we like to have breakfast in our room, so besides it being a wake up call when they come, we can eat and take our time getting dressed. This extra tip is only a few dollars.

We tip for room service, a dollar or a euro or two.

We've never tipped up front and have had fantastic service on every cruise on X. If you have a problem just speak to guest services who will have it taken care of.

We use prepaid tipping whether we are in Select dining or not. It's just so convenient!

My wife and I are booked for our first cruise (!) on the Reflection Inaugural European Cruise in October 2012. We are using the Select Dining option so tips are pre-paid; however, I read about people giving their cabin steward a tip when you first meet, both as a thank you and to help ensure you get great service during the cruise. As I've said, we are completely new to this and want to ensure everything goes well and that we don't make any cruise mistakes. Is the early tip a good idea?

Bruce & Lockie

Agree w/ the others. No need to tip uf front. If the sx. is good we usually give an extra tip at the end. I'll bet your 1st cruise won't be your last. :D Cheers, Larry

I'm not a fan of tipping up front, but put myself in the steward's shoes-- will these people be generous or stingy? Am I going to go that extra mile and then not receive anything for the effort? Not to suggest that the service will be different, but it would just be nice to let the steward know that his/her efforts will not go unappreciated without coming right out and saying, "If you treat us right, there'll be a little something extra at the end of the week." I find that gauche. But if we get room service early on, that's an opportunity to give a generous tip and set the steward's mind at ease.

Bruce & Lockie

In addition to what Celebrity charges to our account for tips we tip our cabin steward and waiters midway through the cruise and again at the end. We also tip a dollar or two to the fellow who opens the door to the men's room etc. We feel if we can afford to cruise, we can afford to tip those who take care of us. These people work long and hard to support their families. In the scheme of things a few extra dollars is not a big deal. Enjoy your cruise. :)

We also tip a dollar or two to the fellow who opens the door to the men's room etc. We feel if we can afford to cruise, we can afford to tip those who take care of us. These people work long and hard to support their families. In the scheme of things a few extra dollars is not a big deal.

By all means, tip however you want, and better to tip too much than not enough. I agree that the staff works hard and deserves better pay. I would consider a buck or two for opening a door to be a bit overly generous, however. One of the reasons for having the autotip is to relieve the cruiser from having to carry a wad of bills around and pass them out every time they get a drink, meal, or go to the restroom. I honestly don't know if restroom attendants are covered under the autotip, but I think something a simple as opening a door should be covered by their basic pay. Otherwise, we'd be tipping everyone for everything.

I feel tipping up front is like bribery, trying to score better service :eek:

Obviously tipping is not in our culture but I happily tip extra if deserved, but not before the person has had the chance to show their stuff!

I'll admit it, I am motivated by the almighty dollar And I believe that others are as well. I am in no way indicating that you will not get great service without an upfront tip/bribe, but I pass along my "thanks" shortly after meeting my steward. I have received nothing but excellent service since doing this. $20 upfront can make a huge difference in service and really doesn't put a big dent in my life. I also bring along "things" - Hershey's bars, Snicker's bars, new T-shirts, ball caps - they make great little thank yous to crew who are being very helpful while you are enjoying your vacation.

I'll admit it, I am motivated by the almighty dollar And I believe that others are as well. I am in no way indicating that you will not get great service without an upfront tip/bribe, but I pass along my "thanks" shortly after meeting my steward. I have received nothing but excellent service since doing this. $20 upfront can make a huge difference in service and really doesn't put a big dent in my life. I also bring along "things" - Hershey's bars, Snicker's bars, new T-shirts, ball caps - they make great little thank yous to crew who are being very helpful while you are enjoying your vacation.

Let's try an experiment. Don't give an upfront tip and see if the service is better, worse, or the same. Don is correct about the attitude of the stewards.

My guess is: the same wins.

In addition to the recommended or prepaid tip, I leave a dollar or two each day with a piece of snack sized candy and a note thanking them for something which could be as much as fulfilling a special request like keeping the six-pack cooler full of ice to something as simple as a towel animal or keeping the cabin so neat and tidy or opening the door to my cabin when they see me coming. I make sure to mention how appreciative I am that they take care of room make-up and turn down when we are eating breakfast/dinner. We always tipped $20 or so extra over the recommended amount so it's not like I am digging any deeper in my pocket.

Most of the time they thank me graciously for the candy but don't mention the money (lol). A couple have thanked me for the money and one even wrote ME a "thank you" note halfway through the cruise for my thoughtfulness!

Another thing they appreciate as much as money is a positive comment by name in the exit survey.

Tucker in Texas

We usually ask the room steward to empty our fridge when we first meet him (never have had a her yet) since we get the drink packages and collect water and beer. When he does something special like that, we have tipped, and sometimes again near the middle of a long cruise, but often associated with some special request. I think it isn't so much a bribe, as a way to say thank you for all the work you will be doing on our behalf. I try to be tidy, honest I do, but sometimes I fail, so I figure the guys deserve a little extra. As much as I would like X to increase the pay of the staff (and of course increase the cost of the cruise) I think that the total cost would go up more than the total pay would increase, causing cabins to be empty and X profits to decrease, meaning they would lay off some people and the cycle wouldn't be pretty. Just an untested hypothesis.

This will be my last post on this topic. I will never know how good my service would have been on my last cruise had I not tipped up front. But not tipping this time will not tell me how it would have been on a previous cruise (different stewards/cruise lines) or how the service would be if I tipped up front as opposed to waiting until the end of the cruise.

Tipping is a personal decision, and I would never force a tip on anyone. I know that you will do what you think is right, and wish you a very enjoyable vacation!

Some of the employees consider it an insult to be tipped up front....

We have never experienced this. We always tip $20 up front for our room attendant with a printed list of what we want during the cruise. The list has stuff like ice all day, pillow preferences, etc. The staff are always responsive and we have always been happy with their service. I am the ultimate capitalist and "tips" are an incentive up front. Many of the crew depend on extra tips to send more money home to their families. They are worth it!

Archived