Anyone been to Stromboli Volcanic Island off Sicily?

wantocruisemore

This is the island that many of the cruise ships pass. (See below the photo I took). It's off the coast of Sicily. I did some research and think the name is Stromboli.

ry%3D400

Ever since then my husband has been talking about wanting to visit. Both my DD's want to go back to Rome and I checked and there is ferry service from Napoli to Stromboli & return. I've researched a little but wanted to check if anyone here knew anything about it.

I will also check with Trip Advisor but didn't know if anyone else out there saw it on the cruise ship and then just "had" to visit later.

We passed it in June on our cruise. I really do not think there would be much to see there. It looked like a really small village on one side of the island. The other side where the lava was down to the sea had nothing there but ash.

We passed it in June on our cruise. I really do not think there would be much to see there. It looked like a really small village on one side of the island. The other side where the lava was down to the sea had nothing there but ash.

I agree. I put the binoculars on it as we sailed past and it has just 2 areas with a few houses, apart from the steep ash slopes. There's a very brief glimpse of it at the end of this

What an interesting question. We have cruised by Stromboli on several cruises (during the day and at night) and it is really neat to see after dark. But we have never heard of a major cruise ship that actually stopped at this island but know that you can get to the island by some ferries from Sicily (this might be an interesting adventure).

Hank

I've done a little more research, it seems to be a popular summer destination with people wanting to climb the volcano. It also regularly erupts like clockwork and has for over 2000 years. I think these eruptions range from smoke spits to lava down one side.

It sounds really interesting to visit for a couple of days and there seems to be daily ferry or hydrofoil service from Naples and several ports in Sicily.

I've been trying to nail down my husband for next summer. This might be the carrot I need to get him to commit to a couple weeks land tour with time split between Rome and Sicily and a couple of nights on Stromboli. He's insistent he does not want a cruise next summer for the Med (maybe a quickie to the Caribbean though) but a land trip, that's a different story.

I also had never heard of Stromboli (except the sandwich).We cruised by it in 07 in the daytime the town is very small ,and it looks like part of the island slid into the ocean. Even in the day time you can see the smoke and lava. I also loved Stromboli ,the ship circled the whole island it was great sight for a sea day.

The "Lighthouse of the Mediterranean" is a popular spot for volcanologists...one bit of recent research was to see if the frequent eruptions were greater at full moon.

The film "Stromboli", starring Ingrid Bergman was shot on the island in the 1950s- I think it was around there.

I once looked at a land-based holiday which covered most of the volcanos in that area....Stromboli is the name of a type of volcanic action.:rolleyes:

Jo.

Archived