British American Auctions no longer on Celebrity!

C-Dragons

See this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1465662

It would be interesting to get word from anyone currently on board a Celebrity ship what's happening -- is there a "fire sale" -- will the auctioneer have to pay his/her own way home -- are the art auctions still going on as usual -- maybe someone will report in on this!

They were put off the ship last week and flown home at X's expense.

"BREAKING NEWS: On August 15, 2011, it was reported to Fine Art Registry that Ira Shore and his company, International Art Galleries, LLC. (formerly British American Auctions) were thrown off Celebrity cruise ships at the end of last week. The auctioneers had to be flown home at Celebrity's expense. Rumor has it that International Art Galleries is about to declare bankruptcy. It is also reported that suppliers are up in arms and have gone directly to the cruise lines to seek satisfaction."

We always enjoy the art auctions. We've never purchased anything, but find it interesting hearing about the history of the artists. They always seemed to sell a few pieces, but on recent cruises the number of sales seemed to be diminishing. I'll sort of miss it though.

Tom

They were put off the ship last week and flown home at X's expense.

"BREAKING NEWS: On August 15, 2011, it was reported to Fine Art Registry that Ira Shore and his company, International Art Galleries, LLC. (formerly British American Auctions) were thrown off Celebrity cruise ships at the end of last week. The auctioneers had to be flown home at Celebrity's expense. Rumor has it that International Art Galleries is about to declare bankruptcy. It is also reported that suppliers are up in arms and have gone directly to the cruise lines to seek satisfaction."

We always enjoy the art auctions. We've never purchased anything, but find it interesting hearing about the history of the artists. They always seemed to sell a few pieces, but on recent cruises the number of sales seemed to be diminishing. I'll sort of miss it though.

Tom

I agreed. I enjoyed learning about the history of the artists. Because of this, I was able to enjoy a recent visit to an international art gallery as I recognized the familiar names.

I ordered several expensive pieces of Art last July 2010. It took them until February 2011 to have them delivered to me. I was absolutely sure I would never receive them. So I am glad they are gone.

Only when I involved American Express did they finally send me the Art.

There are a couple of other threads floating around on these so-called auctions. I didn't spend any time on our June Med cruise at any of the auctions, but I did talk with the guy running it and tried to ask him some substantive questions. The answers seemed to be a little fake and floating.

Sure glad we didn't buy anything. I would be interested in officially and legally knowing what Celebrity says to defend themselves on these issues. AND, does being in international waters protect these companies from criminal prosecution or liabilities? Glad that people pushed things with their credit card companies.

Of interest might be this August 5, 2011, story from a Fox Business News writer. His column had this headline: "Cruise Art Auctions - Bad Investment" with these highlights: "a publication for insurance adjusters reported that an insurance company was asked to reimburse a homeowner for a set of stolen artist-signed Dali prints that were purchased on a cruise ship from Park West. The insurance company determined that the prints were not authentic. The owner had relied on the appraisal supplied with the prints when he bought them, but the insurance company determined that according to Dali work catalogues, these works were never signed by the artist. The insurance adjusters used the concept of 'questionable provenance' as enough evidence to lower the estimated value of the prints. There is no shortage of such questionable provenance: Several class action lawsuits filed by art buyers against Park West and the cruise lines will also commence this autumn."

Ouch!! To use some art terms, this chopping legal background sounds a little "abstract" and/or "cloudy".

Full story at:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/08/05/how-much-is-cruise-line-worth/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 30,598 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived