Alaska cruise, info please

sargemrs

Leaving a week from today....woo hoo!!!!! Just a few questions for you; What days are the formal days on the 7 day Explorer cruise to Alaska? We have requested early dining with a table for 6 requested, (there are 6 in our party) on the "late" day in Juneau, do we just eat late, when we board or go back to ship early for dinner, eat in town and skip the ship's dinner? I guess these options would all be available to us? On the last day, we leave the ship at 6 (Victoria) and it leaves at 12:00, so on that night we would eat early?

These boards are SO informative and I appreciate all the input. I feel like my cruise will be much more inhanced by the information I've received reading all the tips and suggestions. Thanks a million!!

Leaving a week from today....woo hoo!!!!! Just a few questions for you; What days are the formal days on the 7 day Explorer cruise to Alaska? We have requested early dining with a table for 6 requested, (there are 6 in our party) on the "late" day in Juneau, do we just eat late, when we board or go back to ship early for dinner, eat in town and skip the ship's dinner? I guess these options would all be available to us? On the last day, we leave the ship at 6 (Victoria) and it leaves at 12:00, so on that night we would eat early?

These boards are SO informative and I appreciate all the input. I feel like my cruise will be much more inhanced by the information I've received reading all the tips and suggestions. Thanks a million!!

The formal nights will probably be the second night, and the next to last night.

If you miss your standard dining time, you may eat in town, or at the Pinnacle (make a late reservation) Cannaletto (reservation suggested) or in the Lido (no reservation needed). You may also have room service, but that is a little more complicated.

We are also leaving next Saturday for Alaska. (Maybe the same cruise on the Westerdam?) I also really appreciate all of the info, reviews, and feedback from all of the amazing CC crowd. Thank you everyone!

CruiserBruce already answered your questions so not much more I can add. We had room service for our late day in Juneau, too pooped when we got back to the ship to do anything else!

Have a wonderful cruise, Alaska is phenominal, and we are heading up next month yet again. And if the current weather holds you are in for a treat. But even on rainy days it's wonderful.

[Good afternoon! We are planning a 2012 trip to Alaska. What month do you like to visit and do you have a favorite itenerary?

Thanks! Wildbirdman

quote=startwin;30264836]CruiserBruce already answered your questions so not much more I can add. We had room service for our late day in Juneau, too pooped when we got back to the ship to do anything else!

Have a wonderful cruise, Alaska is phenominal, and we are heading up next month yet again. And if the current weather holds you are in for a treat. But even on rainy days it's wonderful.

[Good afternoon! We are planning a 2012 trip to Alaska. What month do you like to visit and do you have a favorite itenerary?

Thanks! Wildbirdman

quote=startwin;30264836]CruiserBruce already answered your questions so not much more I can add. We had room service for our late day in Juneau, too pooped when we got back to the ship to do anything else!

We prefer the end of June through the first week of August -- we have found the weather to be better.

Of all the Alaskan cruises that we have done -- the one we did this year was the best -- Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary.

We prefer the end of June through the first week of August -- we have found the weather to be better.

Of all the Alaskan cruises that we have done -- the one we did this year was the best -- Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary.

We did the Aug. 10 to 17 Alaska cruise this year and the weather was okay but not really that warm. A jacket was needed or at least a sweater.

We did the same thing in 1998 and it was so hot, they had to open the dome on the old Westerdam. 80s and 90s and it was May 23 to 30th. You never know with weather.

Incidentally, Glacier Bay in 1998 was all snowy and icy and was calving. This time Glacier Bay was mostly just mountains and the actual calving was only about 1/3 of the way up and not anything like it was 13 years ago. Other said the same thing, even 3 years ago there was more ice and snow.

Still enjoyed the cruise though. We would like to do the 14 day one next year as it has 4 ports we have never visited. Probably late August into Sept. as the animals are more active, looking for food to store. We saw more animals on this trip than the one in May 1998.

Thanks for all the dinner info. We are going on the "O". It looks like the weather will be rainy and cool but after many weeks of 100+ heat, we will thoroughly enjoy that!! Just wish we could bottle it up and bring it back to Texas for everyone to enjoy the cool and rain!!;)

We've done the Alaska cruise 3 times, all in September. And again this year. And so far (touch wood) the weather has been lovely. Last year we were on the last cruise of the season, and were able to sunbathe even in Glacier Bay! There's often an Indian summer, plus kids are all back at school, and also the sales are great at the end of the season. I often start my Christmas shopping then!

We were on the Oosterdam from Aug 7-14. Formal nights were on the 2nd night, and when we were in Sitka. We had 12 people so we had 2 tables of 6. We came back early to the ship in Juneau for dinner, we just enjoyed spending so much time with family at dinner time. The last night at Victoria, they only serve dinner for the early seating. The ship did not dock until about 6:45 so we just enjoyed our dinner while we sailed into Victoria.

Archived