Travel from JFK to Manhattan Cruise Terminal by public transport

bloomingtulip

Hi. We will be flying into JFK on Sept. 10, landing at 9:30am and need to get to Manhattan Cruise Terminal. We always travel light, each with a carry-on luggage. I have researched the following and would appreciate any suggestions and help.

Take Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica Station. Transfer to the subway E line to Manhattan. Get off at 50th Street station and transfer to the M50 bus which should take us to 49th and 12th Avenue, close enough to the cruise terminal.

Can someone please confirm if 50th Street Station on E line is 50th and 7th Avenue or 50th and 8th Avenue? How do we transfer to M50 bus? Do we get out of subway station and walk to 49th and 7th Avenue where M50 stops? Will the Metrocard transfer work? Or do we have to pay again?

Would you approve of this and how long would this take?

Appreciate any help and thanks.

The transfer point from the AirTrain to the E subway is at the Sutphin Blvd station. The E station you travel to is at 50th and 8th Ave. The fare is $7.25, which is $5 for the AirTrain and $2.25 for the subway. Yes, you have to exit the subway, go up to the street and catch the bus on 49th St. Your Metrocard should allow a free transfer to the bus if you board the bus within two hours of the time the Metrocard was used to get on the subway. It's also possible to walk from the subway stop to the pier.

Personally, I would never start a cruise by making this type of journey, and I'm always reluctant to carry anything bigger than a business briefcase on the subways and buses, but that's not to say you shouldn't or couldn't do it. My preference for going from JFK to Manhattan to start a cruise would be a taxi at a flat rate of $45 plus tip or a car service for about the same fare.

Thank you for your advice. I have been rethinking this - my daughter agrees with you that although it's doable, we shouldn't put ourselves through this long journey before a cruise vacation. She said she will pick up the tab for the taxi fare. :)

Thanks.

Thank you for your advice. I have been rethinking this - my daughter agrees with you that although it's doable, we shouldn't put ourselves through this long journey before a cruise vacation. She said she will pick up the tab for the taxi fare. :)

Thanks.

Accept her offer. So much easier. Just hop in and enjoy the sights along the way. :)

Accept her offer. So much easier. Just hop in and enjoy the sights along the way. :)

there is an easier alternative if you want. you can take the air train to jamaica and from there take the long Island Railroad to Penn station and then cab it from there to the port. car service is best, but this is not too bad. try dial 7's (212)777-7777. either way, have a good trip

there is an easier alternative if you want. you can take the air train to jamaica and from there take the long Island Railroad to Penn station and then cab it from there to the port. car service is best, but this is not too bad. try dial 7's (212)777-7777. either way, have a good trip

the LIRR will cost $6.25(off peak) to $8.75(peak) pp if you buy the ticket at the station and not on the train on the train is $12-15 pp..

so for 2 one way its $22.50 to $40(includes the cost of the airtrain) each way plus the cost of the cab from penn station or more if its a car service. The cost of the train and NY city subway and bus(assuming a metrocard) is $14.50 for two. From JFK to the cruise terminal by NY yellow cab its $45.50 plus toll and tip Figure $55-60 in total. For me its not worth the hassle to go any way but directly via a cab or car service.

the LIRR will cost $6.25(off peak) to $8.75(peak) pp if you buy the ticket at the station and not on the train on the train is $12-15 pp..

so for 2 one way its $22.50 to $40(includes the cost of the airtrain) each way plus the cost of the cab from penn station or more if its a car service. The cost of the train and NY city subway and bus(assuming a metrocard) is $14.50 for two. From JFK to the cruise terminal by NY yellow cab its $45.50 plus toll and tip Figure $55-60 in total. For me its not worth the hassle to go any way but directly via a cab or car service.

good point

Personally, I would never start a cruise by making this type of journey... My preference for going from JFK to Manhattan to start a cruise would be a taxi at a flat rate of $45 plus tip or a car service for about the same fare.

For me its not worth the hassle to go any way but directly via a cab or car service.

Amen. Keep it simple. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What would you recommend for those of us unfortunately traveling tomorrow (9/11/11)? I'll be arriving to JFK and need to get to Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

What would you recommend for those of us unfortunately traveling tomorrow (9/11/11)? I'll be arriving to JFK and need to get to Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html Take the Airtrain to the Jamaica LIRR station. Purchase a one-way off peak ticket Jamaica to Manhattan. Transfer to the LIRR platform Westbound to Manhattan. This will bring you into NYC Penn Station.(The last stop) Take a cab from Penn Station to the Pier. You also have the option of using the A Train of the NYC MTA subway system. It is always good to have a backup if the LIRR is not running. Go to the link for full instructions, including a map to print out.

Also hopstop.com will give you explicit walking/subway directions from point to point. So you can put in Penn station to pier to get directions.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html Take the Airtrain to the Jamaica LIRR station. Purchase a one-way off peak ticket Jamaica to Manhattan. Transfer to the LIRR platform Westbound to Manhattan. This will bring you into NYC Penn Station.(The last stop) Take a cab from Penn Station to the Pier. You also have the option of using the A Train of the NYC MTA subway system. It is always good to have a backup if the LIRR is not running. Go to the link for full instructions, including a map to print out.

Also hopstop.com will give you explicit walking/subway directions from point to point. So you can put in Penn station to pier to get directions.

Thanks.

Anyone know how the cabs from JFK to Manhattan did this morning? Or anytime today?

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't blue van like $18 per person?

FORGET the blue van (I assume you mean Super Shuttle) in the NYC area. Service SUCKS!!!

Take a look at the reviews for Super Shuttle. http://www.yelp.com/biz/supershuttle-astoria VERY few have anything good to say. It is NOT the same service that Super Shuttle is known for on the West Coast and Florida.

Archived