Acapulco dropped

Ginnyjen

I just noticed they dropped Acapulco from The Oct. 12 Mexican cruise. I guess with the latest outbreak of shootings they decided to skip it. I'll have to check it out and see if they add another port or just make it a sea day. Thats ok, lots of other nice ports to see.

I figured that Acapulco would be dropped after reading all the reports of the murders last weekend.

The first time we visited Aacapulco -- back in the early 90's -- it was a nice port.

But then a few years ago -- we really didn't leave the ship or go far on our own. Too many cab drivers and walkers hassling us.

You must realize Acapulco is not only Mexico's oldest Pacific beach resort city starting as a resort destination shortly after WWII but it is possibly one of the three oldest cities in Mexico after Veracruz and Mexico City. It was in Acapulco that Spanish galleons arrived from the Philippines with the gold which was then transported overland via Mexico City to Veracruz where it was reloaded on ships to Spain.The main street along the beach is named Costera Miguel Aleman. Aleman was president of Mexico from 1949 to 1953, and was the one who was responsible for the building of Acapulco as a resort destination.

I just noticed they dropped Acapulco from The Oct. 12 Mexican cruise. I guess with the latest outbreak of shootings they decided to skip it. I'll have to check it out and see if they add another port or just make it a sea day. Thats ok, lots of other nice ports to see.

Warning: graphic description

A little more than shootings: try several beheaded bodies lashed to an SUV and left in a Costco parking lot! :mad: According to our paper this morning. At one time a few decades ago Acapulco was a west coast honeymoon dream location.

That's sad. Sitting on the ship in Acapulco bay was beautiful. The Acapulco city experience was a little hectic and urban.

Michael

However, when some of the locals make docking there a dangerous thing, then HAL has to act in the best interest for t he passengers and crew.

That's okay with me! I've already seen the cliff divers! It was the only reason that I had gone ashore at that port of call!

Acapulco was once the jewel of Mexico's Pacific coast. Hotels like Las Brisis and The Princess were some of the best in the world. The night life was exciting and the big game fishing was superb along that coast.

Sailing away from Acapulco an night was magic... with the lights around that perfect horseshoe bay reflecting on the water. I remember it as one of the most beautiful sail-aways anywhere.

We have had wonderful times there.

Sadly, it is all finished now. The city has turned into a cesspool of drugs and sex trafficing.

HAL was right to drop it from the itinerary. Just too much risk.

IMO

Are there any prospects of Carnival Corp buying land and developing a port on the Mexican coast for its cruise lines (HAL, Princess, Carnival etc.) to have a place to call. Something similar to Labadee in Haiti (RCI) or Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas (HAL, Carnival)? It seems to be the best way to get around the crime problem.

It's so sad to see the continuing exodus of cruises from Mexico...first Matazlan, now Acapulco. So understandable, but does it portend the complete abandonment of cruises to Mexico?

Tourist areas in the past have largely been spared much of the violence in Mexico. There seemed to be some sort of a truce of sorts between the cartels to leave those areas alone. I would say that unless Mexico can get a handle on the type violence described in the news article, the elimination of Acapulco and Matazlan portends a complete abandonment of the country sometime in the future. It is a real shame for the everyday Mexican people who rely on cruise ships to eek out a meager living. They're the ones negatively impacted most.

Are there any prospects of Carnival Corp buying land and developing a port on the Mexican coast for its cruise lines (HAL, Princess, Carnival etc.) to have a place to call. Something similar to Labadee in Haiti (RCI) or Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas (HAL, Carnival)? It seems to be the best way to get around the crime problem.

It has been the history, towns, shopping and particularly the dining that has had the most appeal for us on the Mexican Riviera. We go for what is already there, not for an artificial experience of a manufactured "Mexico".

Archived