We Haven't Mentioned Maasdam......

sail7seas

Maasdam should have no trouble getting in and out of Boston on Saturday. Where she goes is another matter.

Irene, if she follows the present track, won't hit RI until Sunday, starting sunrise and building during the day. By then the Maasdam could have skipped Bar Harbor, and be well on her way to the safty of the St. Laurence.

The storm is still too far off to make any decent predictions.

RuthC is correct, the only problem is that some projections show Irene may move west of NYC and Boston, taking it up into eastern Canada. Bottom line we should all have our answers by Monday! In any case RuthC in Rhode Island and me in New Jersey will be watching this storm very closely!!! (GO EAST, GO EAST, GO EAST)

Maasdam should have no trouble getting in and out of Boston on Saturday. Where she goes is another matter.

Irene, if she follows the present track, won't hit RI until Sunday, starting sunrise and building during the day. By then the Maasdam could have skipped Bar Harbor, and be well on her way to the safty of the St. Laurence.

There's Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney and Charlottetown before Maasdam sees the river. Yes, Maasdam can probably get in and out of Boston on Saturday safely but.......

Where does she go? Until they know the path to be eastward and fast, the storm could very possibly be on their heels.

With have Rhode Island and New Jersey covered and I'll cover BOSTON. :)

Wish us luck.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?tabName=Travel+Advisories

NEWS

Travel Advisories

August 25, 2011 - 7:00AM PDT

Travel Advisory Regarding Hurricane Irene

As a result of weather and sea conditions related to Hurricane Irene in the Atlantic, nearby cruise itineraries have been reviewed. While we intend to stay as close as possible to the published schedules, there may be some changes to select itineraries. The current status is as follows:

ms Veendam August 21, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

The ship will now depart Bermuda at approximately 5:00pm on Thursday, August 25, rather than on Friday and arrive in New York one day early on Saturday, ahead of the storm’s anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to disembark on Saturday or overnight until Sunday and enjoy New York. Those onboard have been notified.

ms Veendam August 28, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

There are no itinerary changes at this time. Guests will embark in New York on Sunday, August 28 as planned and the ship is scheduled to sail at 4:45pm.

Based on the storm’s progress and intensity, departure may be delayed but that decision will not be made until Saturday evening or Sunday. If there is a delay, it will be posted on our website.

ms Maasdam, July 23, 35-day (roundtrip Boston) or August 9, 18-day (Amsterdam to Boston) Voyage of the Midnight Sun

Holland America Line expects no changes to this schedule. The ship is due to arrive in Boston as scheduled on Saturday, August 27 at 7:00am.

ms Maasdam August 27, 7-day Canada/New England Cruise (Boston to Montreal, Quebec)

There are no itinerary changes at this time. Guests will embark in Boston on Saturday, August 27, as planned and the ship is scheduled to sail at 5:00pm.

Itinerary adjustments will be made if storm conditions require doing so but any changes will not impact the time of departure from Boston.

We will continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and communicate any further changes if necessary to guests and travel agents as they are implemented. Updates will also be posted at 10:00am and 10:00pm Pacific Daylight Time in the Travel Advisory section at www.hollandamerica.com.

At Holland America Line the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority.

There's Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney and Charlottetown before Maasdam sees the river. Yes, Maasdam can probably get in and out of Boston on Saturday safely but.......

Where does she go? Until they know the path to be eastward and fast, the storm could very possibly be on their heels.

With have Rhode Island and New Jersey covered and I'll cover BOSTON. :)

Wish us luck.

And, I'll cover NY, :) providing we don't lose power, which is a strong possibility. They are predicting major power outages along the east coast.:eek:

Looking at the projected path tonight, Maasdam is going to have a rainy cruise no matter how they juggle ports.

Looking at the projected path tonight, Maasdam is going to have a rainy cruise no matter how they juggle ports.

The last projected path I saw had Irene going up the western part of Connecticut, and then north toward the Champlain Valley or Green Mountains. If so, that will break it up, for sure.

I have no idea where the remnants are predicted to head after that.

Is that the track you're seeing?

My niece and her DH are sailing tomorrow on NCL from Boston to Bermuda. It is their first cruise and she was worried they wouldn't go. I see no reason they won't sail as scheduled.

Clearly she didn't listen to my advice to book HAL.... and lucky for her. She would have had to cope with NYC and Irene this weekend. :eek:

Ruth, that's the track they've been showing as I've been following it all throughout the day. I have family in western CT and they predict it to have winds of about 70 mph when it reaches northwestern CT. If it takes that route certainly it should calm down over the Berkshires.

But any area that has been soaked with rain will still suffer the problematic rains which can also be a huge problem. But it may keep the waters along the coast of Maine, etc., just fine!

The storm at this point does extend out in both directions for about 490 miles (total) so it is a huge storm. That said, here near the coast in Florida we were about 200 miles from the core of the storm and only experienced blustery conditions throughout the day with a couple of very stormy wind and rain bands. But we were on the left of the storm which is the quiet side.

The last projected path I saw had Irene going up the western part of Connecticut, and then north toward the Champlain Valley or Green Mountains. If so, that will break it up, for sure.

I have no idea where the remnants are predicted to head after that.

Is that the track you're seeing?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/ns/weather/t/hurricane-tracker/from/toolbar This tracker is great because you can zoom in, view an aerial map, and get an idea of the wind speed/time/location. On the news they showed an aerial view of the storm and it is the size of Texas.

:-)

Laura

Archived