Half Moon Cay

Crusing Nut

Oh no!! We were just planning a November Cruise to this most beautiful of places........I hope it's not to altered as surely it's been through many a HC.............Sure hope we can make down there this November, it looks just absolutely stunning.......

Oh no!! We were just planning a November Cruise to this most beautiful of places........I hope it's not to altered as surely it's been through many a HC.............Sure hope we can make down there this November, it looks just absolutely stunning.......

They'll fix it by November.

Of all the places/beaches I've been to....that one was truly like paradise

Other than plant debris and erosion, there really isn't much else to damage. A few small buildings and that church, that's about it. Plus there is no pier to damage. I'm sure it won't have a major impact.

They could also have major beach erosion and deforestation. I'm not sure of the geological composition of the island, but if it's limestone or coral, the plant roots won't be particularly deep and the island can effectively be swept clean, much like the 1938 hurricane swept Upper Matecombe Key clean of vegetation. They also stand to lose a good bit of their beach as I don't believe there are any natural or unnatural barriers to keep the sands from receding after the storm surge.

We are heading down the first week of November...knowing that the storm was coming I wonder if they evacuated the horses.

I was wondering the same thing. I hope so.

I was thinking about HMC yesterday as it looked like Irene was headed right for it. I sure hope there isn't too much damage to the beauty of the island. It is the prettiest island I've been to.

Oh I really hope the horses are okay too! :confused:

Me too! They have the horses, and about 12 people that live there full time. We are supposed to be there next week on Miracle. Islands can be repaired - just hope all on the island are safe.

And it could take out the pier that the tenders dock at. I just read that on another thread.

Not sure if you have been there yet or not, but the very small dock where the tenders land is actually down a man-made inlet that loops around, so it would not have much exposure to the surf/storm surge.

They could also have major beach erosion and deforestation. I'm not sure of the geological composition of the island, but if it's limestone or coral, the plant roots won't be particularly deep and the island can effectively be swept clean, much like the 1938 hurricane swept Upper Matecombe Key clean of vegetation. They also stand to lose a good bit of their beach as I don't believe there are any natural or unnatural barriers to keep the sands from receding after the storm surge.

Well, erosion for sure, allot of which would depend on what direction the surge hits the beach. But remember the winds are only sustained around 100mph, which can do a great deal of damage, but it's not going to 'sweep it clean'. I'm guessing this stop will be up and running pretty quickly.

Well, erosion for sure, allot of which would depend on what direction the surge hits the beach. But remember the winds are only sustained around 100mph, which can do a great deal of damage, but it's not going to 'sweep it clean'. I'm guessing this stop will be up and running pretty quickly.

The true danger in a hurricane isn't the winds, it's the storm surge. If HMC is in the Northwest Quadrant of the storm, it can very well be wiped clean, depending on the type of soil and plants growing on it.

It *has* happened before with a Cat 3/4 storm. That storm also killed 350 people in flimsy shelters and took down the railway link to Key West. Granted, that storm was a much more compact storm that had experienced rapid deepening, which I don't believe this one has.

Archived