Canadians on a Canada/New England cruise

cruz chic

Can any Canadians tell me what happens with U.S. customs on a Canada/New England cruise? I'm leaving from Quebec and ending in NY. Will I need to go through customs before getting off the ship in the first U.S. port? Thanks for any help.

When I cruised from Montreal to Boston in spring, everyone had to go through customs at the first US port (in our case, it was Bar Harbour). The customs officials came on-board, and there were lines to get into depending on your country of residence.

It wasn't too long of a procedure!

Have fun on your cruise!

When I cruised from Montreal to Boston in spring, everyone had to go through customs at the first US port (in our case, it was Bar Harbour). The customs officials came on-board, and there were lines to get into depending on your country of residence.

It wasn't too long of a procedure!

Have fun on your cruise!

Exactly as we experienced it in 2009 on the Eurodam (Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale) reposition. Very simple procedure.

More likely what you went through was Immigration. Did they just look at passports, or did you have to fill out a declaration of what you had bought on the trip? If it's just passports, that's Immigration. If they want to know what you're bringing into the country, that's Customs.

Exactly as we experienced it in 2009 on the Eurodam (Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale) reposition. Very simple procedure.

Portland was our first US port on that cruise and I really don't remember much about US immigration there. I remember showing a passport in NYC but the full meal deal didn't occur until we disembarked on Fort Lauderdale.

There was most certainly none of the nonsense you have to put up with in San Diego.

I just remember having to head down to one of the meeting rooms (Hudson room or something like that) with the passport and just basically show it. There were different rooms assigned to Canada or US or International travelers. I think it was not customs, but immigration as mentioned above. Once they cleared the ship we were able to head out to explore Portland. I think customs was done in Florida.

There was most certainly none of the nonsense you have to put up with in San Diego.

Sapper, this is pretty much what I go through on EVERY cruise. That was a PITA on "our" but it's pretty much SOP for me every time. The worst was when I came back from South America in 2008. The best was the Westerdam Panama Canal this year when the whole process took about 30 minutes. I hope it will be quick on this one.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

This thread reminded me of something that happened to me three or four times on our New England /Canada cruise...off topic sorry..I had fellow cruisers (American) ask me why as a Canadian I would take a cruise to Canada (seemed amused by the notion):confused:..I wouldn't have thought anything of it but this happened three or four times... I just smiled and said "we enjoy cruising."

I still can't quite figure out where they were coming from..perhaps they had no idea just how big Canada is..and that one of her citizens had yet to see all of it. ;)

Well, that sure sounds familiar to me.

We live in Boston and many cannot figure out why we enjoy sailing Canada/New England every year. I have stopped trying to explain what it is we find so special. :) We have now sailed with three different couples who got curious what we found so outstanding and without exception they all came home having loved that Maasdam cruise.

Well, that sure sounds familiar to me.

We live in Boston and many cannot figure out why we enjoy sailing Canada/New England every year. I have stopped trying to explain what it is we find so special. :) We have now sailed with three different couples who got curious what we found so outstanding and without exception they all came home having loved that Maasdam cruise.

Absolutely !!:)

No matter where you are going or from whence you hail..any chance to jump on a cruise ship, makes perfect sense to me.

Certainly wouldn't ask anyone" why".!!:D

Portland was our first US port on that cruise and I really don't remember much about US immigration there. I remember showing a passport in NYC but the full meal deal didn't occur until we disembarked on Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for the info. I usually sail out of the West Coast. In March we were on the Oesterdam and were self disembark and couldn't get off til 9:45 (This is out of San Diego). This is the worst port for disembarking.

The only time there was not too much trouble was on a repositioning cruise from Vancouver-Hawaii-San Diego that is because we had already been to Hawaii as the last port I guess.

I will be in the repositioning cruise on the Eurodam from Quebec to Fortlauderdale.

Really helpful how things go!

Gail

This thread reminded me of something that happened to me three or four times on our New England /Canada cruise...off topic sorry..I had fellow cruisers (American) ask me why as a Canadian I would take a cruise to Canada (seemed amused by the notion):confused:..I wouldn't have thought anything of it but this happened three or four times... I just smiled and said "we enjoy cruising."

I still can't quite figure out where they were coming from..perhaps they had no idea just how big Canada is..and that one of her citizens had yet to see all of it. ;)

How strange. This will be the first cruise in a VERY long time when all the ports will be new. I've never even been to Quebec City before:o. I've wanted to do this cruise for a long time but it's expensive. I also don't enjoy being cold since we are in the deep freeze for 9 months of the year. It's very expensive (air) to travel in Canada. I'm really excited and can't wait to see more of my "home".

Thanks again everyone for yur contributions:).

You are going to LOVE Quebec City. Everyone does. It's so beautiful in summer with all the flower boxes, so charming. In the cold winter it is also beautiful coated with snow.

Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

You are going to LOVE Quebec City. Everyone does. It's so beautiful in summer with all the flower boxes, so charming. In the cold winter it is also beautiful coated with snow.

Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Thank you. I'm especially looking forward to Quebec.

I agree Lorekauf ,Quebec City is so charming, feels like a little piece of Europe . You are going to love it.

I was disappointed Hurricane Hannah (Irene's cousin;)) chased us out of Charlottetown PEI.Saint John (Sappers hometown) was a delight. yep ,yep ,we live in a great country...beautiful, diverse,with lot's to enjoy.

I thought their question was kind of like asking someone from New Jersey why on earth they would take a trip to California.:D:confused:

Okay, that's pretty funny. As a fellow Canadian, I am looking forward to our Canada/New England cruise we are doing next year since I have not visited the East Coast.

You could almost ask the same question to those Americans why would they would take a cruise to the US, such as Alaska or the cruise you were on...

I wonder if people realize how large Canada is. People are also amazed when I mention that Calgary is over a million people.

Colleyberry, I've never been to Europe so I'll have nothing to compare:D;). The thought of the flights are enough to turn me off.

Lorekauf..your visit to Quebec City will save you that transatlantic flight.;)

Where the ship docks is particularly pretty...the Chateau Frontenac Hotel (castle like)looks down from the walled city..walk right off the ship and start enjoying the old world charm. Have a wonderful cruise:)..I did a review of our cruise "Eurodam Our Story"..don't know if you read it ? Might find some tips in there.

Tweedy.. we loved our cruise wishing the same for you:) We had extraordinary weather...except for Hurricane Hannah that is;)..hope the sun shines for both of you.:)

Lorekauf..your visit to Quebec City will save you that transatlantic flight.;)

Where the ship docks is particularly pretty...the Chateau Frontenac Hotel (castle like)looks down from the walled city..walk right off the ship and start enjoying the old world charm. Have a wonderful cruise:)..I did a review of our cruise "Eurodam Our Story"..don't know if you read it ? Might find some tips in there.

Tweedy.. we loved our cruise wishing the same for you:) We had extraordinary weather...except for Hurricane Hannah that is;)..hope the sun shines for both of you.:)

Thanks for the info on Quebec. I'm going to have to remember to search for your review when the search function comes back.

Lorekauf,

Looks like you will be boarding as we disembark in Quebec on the 20th. This is an amazing trip, you will love it. I did it in 2009 (slightly different ports) and it was spectacular. Loved it so much we are doing it again!

Lorekauf,

Looks like you will be boarding as we disembark in Quebec on the 20th. This is an amazing trip, you will love it. I did it in 2009 (slightly different ports) and it was spectacular. Loved it so much we are doing it again!

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Keep the ship in one piece for me ok:D;)?

Archived