Freedom or Oasis??

zpdw484

I have been on 8 cruises (6 with rci) but haven't been fortunate enough to go since 06. I miss it sooooo badly! So I have decided to cruise next year even if I have to go by myself! lol I am 27 yr old male and all my friends are either married or just don't want to spend the money, so i'm not sure if I will be able to find a traveling partner or not. I am looking at western caribbean cruises for may or june 2012. I have been on all the voyager class ships in the past and absolutely lovde them! Due to this and the high prices the oasis and allure are bringing I had pretty much decided to do the Freedom of the seas out of port canaveral. But I have noticed over the past week or so that the prices for Oasis have dropped and is only going to cost about $50 more than the Freedom. So now I don't know what to do. On one hand I know I will enjoy the Freedom being that I loved cruises on her near sister ships in the past, but it's also tempting to try the new "oasis" class as well. I am very confident that I will love the Freedom whether I have a traveling partner or end up cruising solo. As far as the Oasis, I'm sure I would have a great time, but If I end up going solo I'm afraid it might just be a little too big and a few too many passengers. Any suggestions???

I have been on 8 cruises (6 with rci) but haven't been fortunate enough to go since 06. I miss it sooooo badly! So I have decided to cruise next year even if I have to go by myself! lol I am 27 yr old male and all my friends are either married or just don't want to spend the money, so i'm not sure if I will be able to find a traveling partner or not. I am looking at western caribbean cruises for may or june 2012. I have been on all the voyager class ships in the past and absolutely lovde them! Due to this and the high prices the oasis and allure are bringing I had pretty much decided to do the Freedom of the seas out of port canaveral. But I have noticed over the past week or so that the prices for Oasis have dropped and is only going to cost about $50 more than the Freedom. So now I don't know what to do. On one hand I know I will enjoy the Freedom being that I loved cruises on her near sister ships in the past, but it's also tempting to try the new "oasis" class as well. I am very confident that I will love the Freedom whether I have a traveling partner or end up cruising solo. As far as the Oasis, I'm sure I would have a great time, but If I end up going solo I'm afraid it might just be a little too big and a few too many passengers. Any suggestions???

I would go Freedom. I haven't been on the Freedom yet, (will be in 4 weeks), but I found the Oasis to be way too big for me (I was 25 when I went on) The problem, for me, was that there were too many choices and I didn't even know who the cruise director was until the 3rd day, he was never at the show I was at until day 3.

If you like HAVING to plan which show to go to what night and completely customizing your vacation, then go the Oasis. BUT If you want your previous cruise experiences of having a little more structured to the cruise, then go Freedom.

I've been on Allure and Freedom - loved them both in different ways. (Feel free to read my reviews to each - they're in my signature, and include pictures.)

The Oasis Class is large, but Royal has done an incredible job with "crowd perception." In general, I didn't feel there were any more people on Allure than there were on Freedom. There were a few times that this wasn't the case. For example, in the Solarium, I found it louder due to an "echo"; however, there was always seating so it didn't FEEL crowded, just SOUNDED crowded. Freedom does a great job at crowd control too! And, although it's large, it's a few decks shy (and shorter and narrower) than Oasis Class.

The Oasis Class is stunning. In my opinion, it's a ship that must be experienced to fully appreciate. I kept walking around looking at the details - I couldn't get enough! I loved the Freedom too. She was beautiful, but didn't have some of the bells and whistles that Allure had.

The shows are far from typical cruise ship shows... these are SHOWS! I didn't find them to be the best around, but I found them to be very good and worthy of repeat viewings. Freedom shows are great for a cruise ship, but cannot compare with Oasis Class.

As I wrote in my Allure review, there is a familiarity with Allure that I felt - it's similar to the Voyager and Freedom classes in many ways, but it is a giant step beyond. I believe just about anyone would find something to enjoy and would appreciate the ship. Having said that, I probably wouldn't book Allure for only DH and me again unless I had a group going with me - the ship is very family oriented - only because I liked the more "intimate" Freedom and Voyager classes for just the two of us. By the way, we ARE booked on Allure in Feb 2012 and we are VERY EXCITED to share the experience with our family. :D

Ultimately, if the cost is similar to Freedom, then I would say GO FOR IT as the cost is usually much higher than the other classes. You may not have another opportunity like this again.

I've been on Allure and Freedom - loved them both in different ways. (Feel free to read my reviews to each - they're in my signature, and include pictures.)

The Oasis Class is large, but Royal has done an incredible job with "crowd perception." In general, I didn't feel there were any more people on Allure than there were on Freedom. There were a few times that this wasn't the case. For example, in the Solarium, I found it louder due to an "echo"; however, there was always seating so it didn't FEEL crowded, just SOUNDED crowded. Freedom does a great job at crowd control too! And, although it's large, it's a few decks shy (and shorter and narrower) than Oasis Class.

The Oasis Class is stunning. In my opinion, it's a ship that must be experienced to fully appreciate. I kept walking around looking at the details - I couldn't get enough! I loved the Freedom too. She was beautiful, but didn't have some of the bells and whistles that Allure had.

The shows are far from typical cruise ship shows... these are SHOWS! I didn't find them to be the best around, but I found them to be very good and worthy of repeat viewings. Freedom shows are great for a cruise ship, but cannot compare with Oasis Class.

As I wrote in my Allure review, there is a familiarity with Allure that I felt - it's similar to the Voyager and Freedom classes in many ways, but it is a giant step beyond. I believe just about anyone would find something to enjoy and would appreciate the ship. Having said that, I probably wouldn't book Allure for only DH and me again unless I had a group going with me - the ship is very family oriented - only because I liked the more "intimate" Freedom and Voyager classes for just the two of us. By the way, we ARE booked on Allure in Feb 2012 and we are VERY EXCITED to share the experience with our family. :D

Ultimately, if the cost is similar to Freedom, then I would say GO FOR IT as the cost is usually much higher than the other classes. You may not have another opportunity like this again.

If I was trying to decide between the two, your great post would have helped me decide! Glad that I am going on the Oasis for the reasons you mention. Groan...just twish those 160 days would zip by faster than they appear to be doing.

Have sailed both Freedom and Allure (and Oasis.)

Some considerations...Freedom leaves from Port Canaveral. Oasis and Allure leave from Fort Lauderdale. The port may or may not matter to you.

Oasis leaves on Saturday and Allure leaves on Sunday. I forget what day Freedom leaves. Sometimes the day of departure can make a difference regarding airline flights.

Another consideration would be itinerary.

I really, really like Oasis and Allure, but I recently sailed on Oasis with family members who had never sailed before. Two of them were quite overwhelmed and I felt they might have enjoyed a ship such as Freedom or even smaller Navigator. The other couple had sailed on many other ships before, but found Oasis too confusing and big for them. I honestly find them to dislike anything I like just as a matter of fact.

The family member in her late twenties thought she would easily meet other singles her age, but our June cruise was populated mainly by families and she met no one.

I would say consder the time of year of your cruise, the port, day of departure and how well you tolerate and adapt to really new and innovative ideas in cruising.

I love Oasis and Allure, but the family members I took with me did not enjoy the ship as much as I do, so I felt I had oversold to them the great prospect for fun they would have. I think Oasis and Allure are wonderful ships for those who are really open to new experiences. The traditional cruiser might not be so enthusiastic.

If I was trying to decide between the two, your great post would have helped me decide! Glad that I am going on the Oasis for the reasons you mention. Groan...just twish those 160 days would zip by faster than they appear to be doing.

Thanks! But I left out so much... I could almost write a book about the differences and similarities - with pros and cons (for lack of a better word) for each. The previous poster mentioned a few other reasons to select one ship over another.

Ultimately, each ship has it's own personality, and it changes with the passengers, crew, itinerary, etc. Just as each passenger has their unique personality that changes with their circumstances. I loved the Allure, but found that it would be better to go on with our family instead of just the two of us - that's just how I felt, probably because so many of the things reminded me of my kids! LOL However, all the options were wonderful and I may find that I miss them the next time I cruise on a smaller ship. Time will tell.

What I truly feel is that a vacation is what you make of it. With a positive attitude, your experience will create wonderful memories.

if you liked voyager class ships --- and oasis is only 50 more do it!

oasis is not overwhelming.... it feels just like voyager class more people but more space. it doesn't feel more crowded, or harder to meet people.

its like voyager class with some nice extras.

freedom is the voyager class, just stretched out.

The Freedom was my favorite ship until I did the Oasis. The Oasis is so much nicer and newer with a lot more to see and do. I actually felt less crowded on the Oasis than the Freedom. You have done the Freedom class so why not try the Oasis class.

We've been on both Freedom (and sister ships Liberty & Independence) and went on Oasis this summer. I feel that Oasis definitely wins when it comes to dining options and entertainment, but the Freedom-class ships win everywhere else. Oasis was definitely the most impersonal service and some things just did not seem big enough to handle the crowds (pools, elevators, ping pong, Windjammer, security when reboarding from port).

One other note...we have kids and we only travel during school breaks or during the summer so I'm not looking for a "no kids" vacation, but I honestly felt that Oasis had an overwhelmingly huge number of kids. At times, I actually felt like I was on a Disney cruise - character breakfasts, characters making appearances at certain shows, balloon animals, a carousel,etc.

I think you have to figure out what's most important for you - itinerary, dining, entertainment, night life, cost, etc and make a decision based upon that. No doubt that having the opportunity to cruise one of the world's largest ships is a thrill, but sailing the Freedom is a pretty great option as well!

I'm double your age, but trying to get what I can out of your post, I think you would enjoy either. Since you haven't done either Freedom or Oasis class yet, if you find Freedom is significantly cheaper and you don't find Port Canaveral any problem go for it, and then you can always try the Oasis class next time. I've been on both and am now considering my next cruise and most likely it will be Freedom or Oasis classes again, but that is still up in the air, but I would love to go back on either ship.

Archived