Best Flight Plan from US

kathynorth

• 3 weeks later...

We've narrowed our options. We are looking at Aer Lingus with a precruise stay in Ireland since as above posters pointed out this airline permits a long layover without penalty fees. The challenge here is that our travel dates will be limited since they only fly direct from Dublin to Barcelona on specific days of the week. Our other option is to go with Delta to Paris, stay a few nights, then continue onto Barcelona. This is a bit more $. Third option is to fly directly from Boston to Barcelona and take day trips to surrounding areas. I feel like a kid in a candy store! :D

Is this a one-way trip? (i.e., taking a trans-Atlantic cruise back to North America?

Check out Aer Lingus. You can spend a few days in Dublin, for example.

You will need to call them as the web site won't price out multi-city tickets.

I was planning on doing this as well but was very disappointed with the price they gave me for a 36 hour layover...apparantly they want you to do the 26 hour layover max.....and then you get the best prices..

we opted for the 4 hour layover in dublin on the way home...and will settle for a coffee shop scone in the airport.....and the great lower price of the airfare...

aer lingus lost out....but Barcelona gained as we are staying an extra night there instead.....

I would also suggest Aer Lingus. We went to Barcelona in 2010 for a cruise and flew with them. Price was much less then some of the other carriers. We are flying with them again in June of 2012. We are paying $1029.00 per person compared to 1437.00 per on the other carriers. Have fun...:D

we are doing aer lingus as well for the same reasons...however that $1437 on other airlines is now over $1600!!!

We would 2nd the post about using Aer Lingus and spending a few days in Ireland (if you want to see that country). With Aer Lingus you can book from Boston to Barcelona with a stop-over in Dublin (or possibly Shannon). Unless they have changed their rules this airline will allow you to stop-over in Ireland for up to 2 weeks at no additonal cost.

Hank

they quoted me $1200 additional just to extend my layover to 36 hours from the 26 hours that you can book online.....even with customer service costs added on..that was too much especially with hotel rooms and tours.

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't made your flight plans yet, here are some suggestions: Check out Air Berlin's website. Air Berlin flies from NYC and its hubs are Dusseldorf and Berlin. There are direct flights from Dusseldorf & Berlin to Barcelona. (Air Berlin only flies to NYC, MIA, Ft. Myers, LAX! Must be a really good reason why Ft. Myers!!)

Nearby Dusseldorf is Cologne or Amsterdam (also Arnhem is pretty, as is Delft or Brugge & Brussels & Antwerp.) Berlin itself is great place to visit.

Been also to Dublin and it's OK, but Cologne is much more interesting. Nice train along edge of Rhine to Frankfort and then you could fly to Barcelona from there.

Sooooo many options in Europe.

FYI: Couple hours ago I was checking 1-way flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf in May (I used Kayak because of the flexible search feature) and found flight prices from $73 to $111 depending on day of flight! (I am researching a transatlantic in April or May 2012, some of which end in B)

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest trying to call aerlingus again and again. I have called a total of 4 times so far--two responses of "we don't allow layovers like that", one stating the policy was up to 14 days with a significant additional charge and the most recent stating the layover allowed is up to 14 days with little or no additional charges. keep in mind, airfare prices fluctuate daily and fluctuate by the day of the week. Therefore looking to compare to a regular roundtrip takes several internet searches trying to figure out what exact days you want to fly. In addition, I was told I could fly into Shannon and out of Dublin (additional $100 pp). However, there are not flights to Shannon from Boston every day. Another option mentioned earlier in this or another cc board stated Iceland air offers the same option to extend a layover. I might actually be tempted by this one as well, but, there are significant flight times.

Another option (expanding on your Paris idea)... Fly into Paris; take the overnight Sleeper train in Grand Class from Paris to Barcelona (arrives at 9am). It's really pretty reasonable when you realize it includes a full dinner w/ wine.

For some reason, flying from Boston to Paris round trip via Delta (air france) costs about 200 or so more than flying Boston to Barcelona via Delta (Air France) with the same exact Boston Paris// paris Boston segments. I have scratched my head a few times over that one. I understand paris is a much more desired Europe destination, but, the exact same flights cost less to continue on to Barcelona. I admit I have been looking at the rail options and cannot seem to make heads or tails out of the schedules, fares and time tables. Therefore, I have backed off on the rail option for now. If I find a European rail for dummies book around, I will be sure to pick it up.

I, too, would suggest AerLingus. The BIG reason-if the flight is USA to USA with stops in Europe in between, your USA international flight allowance follows you for the entire set of flights. If you want to see Iceland, Icelandair is another. BUT be forewarned, it is VERY expensive in Iceland.

Trying to fly into Europe and use one of the "budget" airlines (Flybe, EasyJet) and the cheapo-RyanAir to get other places can cost you MORE just for baggage fees than booking a multi-city route on a USA airline, not counting all the other add on fees with RyanAir.

For some reason, flying from Boston to Paris round trip via Delta (air france) costs about 200 or so more than flying Boston to Barcelona via Delta (Air France) with the same exact Boston Paris// paris Boston segments. I have scratched my head a few times over that one.
If you just remember that air fare pricing has no necessary correlation with distance flown or number of flights, you'll see why you're looking at the wrong thing.

It's all to do with where you start and where you finish, and how much people are prepared to pay for that trip.

I admit I have been looking at the rail options and cannot seem to make heads or tails out of the schedules, fares and time tables. Therefore, I have backed off on the rail option for now. If I find a European rail for dummies book around, I will be sure to pick it up.

http://www.seat61.com/ is a fantastic website for train "how-to" in every European country. From there, you should be able to pinpoint how to look up schedules and book tickets for just about any route.

http://www.raileurope.com/ is also a fantastic tool if you are just looking up schedules... I wouldn't book through there, as prices are 25%++ more than booking directly, but at least you can find routings and schedules to see what may work for you.

Archived