First Cruise.....are we on track?

Mel&Ken

Hello everyone - thank you so much for taking time to post all your reviews and information, you have been a huge asset in our planning.

DH and I are in our early 40s. Every February we visit an all inclusive resort in the Carribbean for a week and enjoy doing nothing other than eating, drinking, gambling and meeting new people.

Up until now we have been hesitant to look at a cruise because it doesn't seem to mirror this pattern but I think we're ready to give it a shot.

I started with what is important to us: food, and then went from there. The ship/line that seems to tick all our boxes is the Celebrity Solstice and there is an Eastern Carribbean cruise that includes 3 stops and 3 days at sea which I think gives us a good chance to experience both the ship and some new islands.

So far so good? Anything glaringly obvious I am missing?

So far we're looking at $2274 for our trip and I believe an additional $852 for 2 premium drink packages. I haven't been able to locate the restaurant packages - I think I read a post saying $80/person for 3 of them - can someone confirm?

Then we have tips....$12/person/night. This is where I get confused - is this for all meals, our room etc and we're done? or is this just for the room?

Right now with the cruise, drinks, specialty restaurants and tips I think we're looking at approx. $3500 for the two of us - does this seem right?

Next come researching excursions....and then deciding whether to fly into Florida a day earlier.

I appreciate all input and/or advice and look forward to being able to contribute in 6 months!

Celebrity Soltice is a really nice ship I think you will be happy with.

Tips are for the cabin stewards (and any assistants) to make beds and clean up your cabin in the morning and do turn down at night and for your wait staff in the MDR.

If you order room service, they will expect a tip, so there are some misc tips you will probably run into.

Id have to drink a lot to pay that much for the drink package. I assume you plan on a lot of drinking. Im not sure about speciality restaurants packages. I just read about such on one of the RCL ships, not sure how widespread it is or which ships. You might need to ask that on the Celebrity pages.

Your tips will cover your room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter...and ALL of your other meals/snack during the day. If you book a specialty (for fee) restaurant, the fee includes the tip. All drink purchases, whether per drink or package, will have a 15% tip included in the price.

Always try to arrive in your port city the day prior. Should there be airline delays, or your luggage goes somewhere else...you'll have time to make corrections! A day early is ALWAYS the best idea.

As far as excursions...go and get a guidebook on your ports....so many things don't require an excursion at all! Find out what interests you in each port, and THEN decide if you need a tour guide to do it! If you decide on an excursion, go to the "Port of Call" boards, find out who other folks have used...it may be cheaper and better to go with a private company, rather than the ship's excursions!

You say you enjoy meeting new people, so do consider having tablemates at dinner! It's just more fun than eating alone!

In addition to those you see (cabin steward, waitstaff), the autotip also covers people who help them that you will never see - laundry personnel, dishwashers and cooks.

If you like to do the ports on your own, you will need to do your homework, so you are not spinning your wheels when you get off the ship.

Fly in a day early. Why have the stress worrying if you will make it.

I have never found amazing food in either the Carribbean or on a cruise ship. Everything has been tasty but nothing was ever over the top, stop the presses, Fabulous (w/ a capital F).

I think you picked the Mass Market line that has the best reputation. The presentations are always lovely & on a cruise you can have multiple orders.

I have never found amazing food in either the Carribbean or on a cruise ship. Everything has been tasty but nothing was ever over the top, stop the presses, Fabulous (w/ a capital F).

I think you picked the Mass Market line that has the best reputation. The presentations are always lovely & on a cruise you can have multiple orders.

Food is a subjective thing subject to personal tastes and experiences. I would agree MDR food is good but not over the top. On the other hand we have had some amazing meals that IMO we fabulous in certain specialty restaurants.

We had high food expectations on our first cruise because we had heard the food was amazing.... it's not. It is good, but not outstanding. Since they are making the food for so many people it is not all freshly prepared and many things, like lobster, have been frozen. But, gotta say it is better food than most all-inclusive resorts where I've vacationed.... the only exception was a very small all-inclusive resort we visited in the early 90s.

FYI: the MDR is included with the $$ you pay for the cruise and most people say the food is about the same quality as the speciality restaurants. Most people like the speciality restaurants for the experience rather than the food... more intimate and quieter than the MDR. Since you enjoying meeting people you may actually prefer the MDR. My disclaimer: I will be trying my first speciality restaurant on my next cruise, only because I got a gift certificate from my TA. I can't speak from personal experience, "most people" are the people I've chatted with on CC.

Definitely fly in a day early - reduces the time stresses of potential delays and you can have a relaxing morning before boarding the ship.

Have fun!! Thought we would hate cruising because we thought we would be losing the freedom of a resort vacation.... we fell in love with cruising!

Thank you all for your feedback. As always you have been helpful.

Based on your answers am I to undretsand that I truly won't need to carry cash on me while roaming the ship? I will use my ship card for any drinks but I am not expected to leave a tip after dining in the restaurant? I ask this because when at an all inclusive we still tip to show our appreciation for great service. Is this common on cruises as well in addition to the $11.50 a day that will be added to my account?

As for the quality of food and it's subjectiveness - I agree completely. I have learned not to expect much at an All Inclusive Resort and I am happy if it has "good" food as I expect much worse. Having said that, there are some people who feel it's best they've ever had.

I guess I am just hoping to be "wowed" by the food, for it to be all it looks and sounds like it will be. Only time will tell.

Looks like we'll be booking in the next week or so......I actually getting a little excited about it! :D

Based on your answers am I to undretsand that I truly won't need to carry cash on me while roaming the ship?

Your sign and sail card is used instead of cash to buy things. On cruises longer than 7 days we usually carry some cash in case we want to tip a bartender. That usually results in better service and they will usually remember your name and drink after a tip. This is probably done by only a minority of those on board and is by no means required. We usually wait until we know the bartender and know we will return often.

I will use my ship card for any drinks but I am not expected to leave a tip after dining in the restaurant? I ask this because when at an all inclusive we still tip to show our appreciation for great service. Is this common on cruises as well in addition to the $11.50 a day that will be added to my account?

As I said above you may want to tip the bartender, but you most likely won't tip after dining in the restaurant - I've never seen anyone do that.

As for the quality of food and it's subjectiveness - I agree completely. I have learned not to expect much at an All Inclusive Resort and I am happy if it has "good" food as I expect much worse. Having said that, there are some people who feel it's best they've ever had.

You are right - people's opinion of the food is really based upon their lifetime dining experiences up to that point and their expectations.

If the ship has a Chef's Table, and you are "into" the food, this would be a good option. It usually costs $75+ per person, but that includes 7 courses, wines with each course, cookbook, and other gifts. The chef designs the meal and usually comes out to eat at least part of it with you. It is limited in number - usually 12 - and only happens once or twice during the cruise. You might look into it.

Sounds like you picked a great ship for your tastes.

The only part I'd think twice about was the drink package. On port days, if you get off the ship, you won't likely be drinking as much. Just consider that when you are calculating out if it's a good deal or not.

I've not sailed Celebrity, but I believe you may also need to tip for your drinks (unless that's included in the drink package) and at any "specialty" (not included) restaurants. This can be included on your receipt you sign for with your key card, just like when they swipe your credit card at a land-based restaurant.

Have a great time! I think you'll enjoy cruising!

Celebrity is a great choice for your first cruise. The food is above average to very good. They will treat you better than most lines. Your price is on the high side, check your prices with a few travel agents. I book on line but i check with atleast 5 companies. If you are big drinkers, just pack a bottle or two in your luggage. Have a great cruise you might not ever stop (cruising). ;)

We can only give personal opinions based on experience. My personal experience is that cruise ship food is good, not great. The one nice thing is that if you get something you don't care for, you can always request an alternative. You can also request 2 entrees or more, same with appetizers and salads.

The tips are inclusive of all who serve you with the exception of extras, which are 15% added to beverage service and you will want to take some singles along for room service tips.

We've cruised on 8 different lines, only once on Celebrity and we find them all to be fairly well matched in regards to food and service. Ambience and decor are usually the only big changes, with the more expensive lines having a bit of an edge.

The specialty restaurants are definitely worth the upcharge, always debatable but we've never been disappointed. Breakfast andlunch in the dining room are always preferable to us than battling the buffet. It's a myth that it takes a lot longer to dine there. Pity is, dining rooms are usually open only on sea days for lunch.

We're the type who could stay onboard the entire length of the cruise and not miss the port if we've been there in the past. But then, I firmly believe that if you are out of your home country you should see some of the place...as long as it's not just to get off the ship and go shopping. We generally don't use the ship sponsored tours and find our own, typically cheaper and more informational that the cattle call of ship tours. Most tour operators know the ship schedules, but make sure they get you back to port 45 minutes-1 hour before sailaway or you will be left behind.

I'd rethink the drink package unless you are big drinkers. We are not, but we enjoy a good bottle of wine with dinner, usually in the $50/bottle range. We will have one or two additional cocktails per day, each. Our daily spending comes in at around $100 per day for the 2 of us, not including tips. We don't shop onboard, buy art or jewelry nor do we gamble. We usually purchase one formal night photo the last night of the cruise, we line them up and select our favorite, those are usually $20-25 each.

Edit to add, definitely fly in a day prior and stay over an extra day if you can, avoiding the cruise pax crush at the airport.

I agree it seems kinda high--does this include air? suite? We had considered a Celebrity cruise (we were early 40s for first one)--but my parents in their 60s cruised Celebrity in their 50s (their fav line) & said we would be in the younger demographic onboard. Not sure if that matters to you or not. We found ourselves in the middle of Princess & RCCL. (tho our December Princess cruise we were definitely some of the youngest!)

We have a pretty hefty bar tab on our cruises--it runs about $100/day avg. If both of you drink mixed drinks & wine & plan on having 5 or more every day, then the plan is worth it. (even if it is a wash--it is nice to KNOW your expense)

Cruising doesn't mirror eating, drinking, gambling & meeting new people??!!:rolleyes:Hmmm....that is EXACTLY what we do on a cruise! (oh, add lounging at the pool or beach...)

Have fun!

Archived