How early must we disembark?

Dmgmd50

We will be disembarking in Rome. The ship docks at 6AM. Our flight is not until 1:20 PM. We need to be at the airport about two hours earlier. So we really don't need to leave the port until after 10AM. How long will we be allowed to remain on the ship that morning? What time will they make us leave our stateroom? Usually we are eager to get off and on our way but that will not be the case this time.

You will dock in Civitavecchia, which is about 50km from FCO Airport. It depends on weekday versus weekend, but the traffic on the (lone) freeway can get congested (esp on weekday AM's), and the time at the airport to check in, check luggage, pass through customs, etc. can be longer than you might want.

If the flight leaves at 1:20 pm, you may want to consider leaving the ship at 0900 using one of the 3-4 airport shuttle companies. That would get you to the airport around 1000-1015 at the latest. You would get through all the hassles and to your gate by 1200 or so... it also gives you time if your shuttle is late, loading luggage or getting the group together takes a few minutes, etc. Of course, if you like living on the edge, 1000 or so would work, too...

Thanks, Bob H

You will dock in Civitavecchia, which is about 50km from FCO Airport. It depends on weekday versus weekend, but the traffic on the (lone) freeway can get congested (esp on weekday AM's), and the time at the airport to check in, check luggage, pass through customs, etc. can be longer than you might want.

If the flight leaves at 1:20 pm, you may want to consider leaving the ship at 0900 using one of the 3-4 airport shuttle companies. That would get you to the airport around 1000-1015 at the latest. You would get through all the hassles and to your gate by 1200 or so... it also gives you time if your shuttle is late, loading luggage or getting the group together takes a few minutes, etc. Of course, if you like living on the edge, 1000 or so would work, too...

Thanks, Bob H

I agree, you're not going to have any time to hang around the ship if your international flight is at 1:20 PM in Rome.

Thanks, Bob H

I agree with this assesment - leaving at 10 is pushing your luck.

Usually they want you out of the cabin by 8-8:30 & off the ship by 9:30

Breakfast usually ends at 8 am

They have to clean the cabin etc... for those wanting to get on early;)

We just completed a Marina cruise last week in Civitavecchia. Everyone had to be off by 9:30. You will be given a questionnaire towards the end asking about your post cruise plans - flights, hotels, etc they use to assign you a disembarkation time (or if you are making your own post cruise travel arrangements, you can get off any time before 9:30). Breakfast ended at 8am.

We just completed a Marina cruise last week in Civitavecchia. Everyone had to be off by 9:30. You will be given a questionnaire towards the end asking about your post cruise plans - flights, hotels, etc they use to assign you a disembarkation time (or if you are making your own post cruise travel arrangements, you can get off any time before 9:30). Breakfast ended at 8am.

It may have been that simple for you, but we can't blithely assume the same for all cruises that end in Civitavecchia.

For example, a great deal depends on where the ship was, previous to its' arrival in Civitavecchia.

Although customs within the EU are supposed to be more relaxed, each individual member country still seems to be "doing their own thing". This can cause confusion and/or delays. Have you ever noticed that Bureaucrats are NEVER in a hurry?

Oceania WANTS everyone off by 9:30 AM so that they may prepare the ship for the next cruise, but nobody MOVES until Customs gives the go ahead.

Am I the only one who hears those incessant announcements paging the customs badboys on disembarkation day? :o

It may have been that simple for you, but we can't blithely assume the same for all cruises that end in Civitavecchia.

For example, a great deal depends on where the ship was, previous to its' arrival in Civitavecchia. ...

Good point. We came from Livorno, so same country which likely simplified everything.

I agree with the other posters ... don't plan on spending much time on the ship the day of disembarkation. Best to get to the airport with a good bit of time allowed for the unanticipated. We have encountered situations where where we were glad we did. The Rome airport has shops where you can spend some time or perhaps Euros. Have a good trip!

We plan to hire a car/limo service to take us to the Rome airport. Any recommendations?

Oceania WANTS everyone off by 9:30 AM so that they may prepare the ship for the next cruise, but nobody MOVES until Customs gives the go ahead.

Am I the only one who hears those incessant announcements paging the customs badboys on disembarkation day? :o

Yes!:D Never an issue in an EU country IMO.

We plan to hire a car/limo service to take us to the Rome airport. Any recommendations?

I don't - we stayed 2 days in Rome, transportation arranged by Oceania to hotel and then to airport as part of a post-cruise package.

There are four primary ones listed for Civitivecchia to FCO; Rome Airport Transfers, Airport Shuttle, Airport Connection Service, and Select Italy Private Transfer. The costs will vary depending on how many people and bags you have; probably around 130-160 Euro for the car & each of them has a website to peruse. You should also check out the port guide for Rome to see if any pop up as best to use, etc. All of them should accept bookings prior to your cruise. Good luck in any case.

We are using FacileTaxi.com from the airport into Rome and RomeCab.com from the city to the port. RomeCab is somewhat more expensive, but not much.

Our rate for four people with FacileTaxi from our hotels to Civitavecchia (the hotels are close to each other) is €120 -- for 6 people they charge about €158.

We are using FacileTaxi.com from the airport into Rome and RomeCab.com from the city to the port. RomeCab is somewhat more expensive, but not much.

Our rate for four people with FacileTaxi from our hotels to Civitavecchia (the hotels are close to each other) is €120 -- for 6 people they charge about €158.

Have you used them before? When are you going?

Have you used them before? When are you going?

nparmalee, thanks for the spelling correction on romecabs, I was too lazy to look it up and didn't remember exactly.

No, we haven't used FacileTaxi before so I can't vouch for their efficiency. We are going in mid October (Marina, Rome-Istanbul). I'll be happy to make a report if you are going after we do!

Mura

nparmalee, thanks for the spelling correction on romecabs, I was too lazy to look it up and didn't remember exactly.

No, we haven't used FacileTaxi before so I can't vouch for their efficiency. We are going in mid October (Marina, Rome-Istanbul). I'll be happy to make a report if you are going after we do!

Mura

I think you are boarding as soon as we disembark on October 21!

Archived