HELP ME DECIDE!! GRAND or RUBY??

umieesa

HI All,

This is my first cruise and I'm so indecisive :o

I've already booked the Grand Princess for January Eastern Caribbean, but I'm debating whether to switch to the Ruby or not. It will be me, my husband and our 3 kids (10, 6, and 1). The only difference in the itinerary is that the Ruby will stop in Grand Turk while the Grand will port in San Juan...BUT the Ruby will have only 1 other ship in port most days (it not the only one in port) while the Grand will sometimes have 8 ships in port :eek:.

So I think that's my main concern...not really feeling like visiting these ports with hoardes of other passengers on the same day! Especially in St. Thomas where I really wanted to go St. John, but I've read its chaotic with 8 ships in port.

Are these ships pretty much the same? One better than the other (in terms of food/activities).

I was looking forward to San Juan, but the ship docks from 4-10 in the evening so not sure how much we'd really get to see anyway.

So to all the experts on here...what would you do? It will cost me about 200 more to switch to the Ruby, which is fine if you think it will be a better experience.

Appreciate all your help and advice!!

We are just about to become elite, we have been on Grand, Emerald (to return in 7 weeks), Ruby, Crown & Golden. We did Ruby in February just gone including Grand Turk (much better than San Juan) and the Ruby has by far the best entertainment and Food. It is the best ship we have done, including the Royal Caribbean ships we have also been on. Go Ruby Ruby Ruby

I checked the ports and you will have 8 ships in port in St. Thomas. And 6 in St. Maarten. Not going to be a fun time onshore. As much as I prefer the smaller size of the Grand, I think in this case I would go with Ruby. The ship amenities are much the same.

How are booking five on the Grand? Two cabins? Or rollaway? The Ruby will probably feel a bit more full, as she holds 500 more people, so you might want to have some private sanctuary space onboard to escape to. Of course, the same might hold true with the Grand when in port....

M comparing the January 14 saling of the Grand with January 22 sailing of the Ruby. Checked cruiett dot com for the port schedule to see which ships are in port.

Thanks for all the advice...you have definitely made my decision easier!

Yeah I had to book two cabins. Fortunately I was able to get two side by side on the Grand but it doesnt seem like I'll be able to if I switch. So far Ive only founf rooms that are one away from each other (not a huge deal I guess?)!

HI All,

This is my first cruise and I'm so indecisive :o

I've already booked the Grand Princess for January Eastern Caribbean, but I'm debating whether to switch to the Ruby or not. It will be me, my husband and our 3 kids (10, 6, and 1). The only difference in the itinerary is that the Ruby will stop in Grand Turk while the Grand will port in San Juan...BUT the Ruby will have only 1 other ship in port most days (it not the only one in port) while the Grand will sometimes have 8 ships in port :eek:.

So I think that's my main concern...not really feeling like visiting these ports with hoardes of other passengers on the same day! Especially in St. Thomas where I really wanted to go St. John, but I've read its chaotic with 8 ships in port.

Are these ships pretty much the same? One better than the other (in terms of food/activities).

I was looking forward to San Juan, but the ship docks from 4-10 in the evening so not sure how much we'd really get to see anyway.

So to all the experts on here...what would you do? It will cost me about 200 more to switch to the Ruby, which is fine if you think it will be a better experience.

Appreciate all your help and advice!!

I have done the Grand four times and the Ruby twice. If I had a choice, I would always choose the Ruby. The elevators on the Grand do not work well. There are no center stairs if you would want to use them instead of the elevators. The Horizon court's layout is better on the Ruby. When it comes to cruise staff, enertainment, and onboard activities, both ships provide out standing things. The only thing I wish the Ruby had was a covered pool for days when it is raining.

Oh my, I'm glad I seen this question. We will probably not be cruising until next Spring, but I was thinking about visiting a port or two that I have never been to before.

I really wanted to visit Aruba which is on the Crown itinerary, but I have never been to Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands which is on the Ruby. So now it is decision, decision, decision, but I think most of you who have responed has "swayed";) me to the Ruby side. I don't know about the larger ship, but I'm sure we would make it one way or another.

Here is my question about Grand Turk -T & C, as I have been to the other ports on the itinerary. We do not snorkle, but love the beach. I'm sure we can find a beach there, but what else is there to see or do? In some of the ports I visit, I find getting a native that drives a Taxi taking us around, we see sights that others would never see. Can this be done in Grand TurK? If not, can we walk to certain areas or would we be better off getting a tour guide? I normally don't book through the cruise line, and find it is much better booking through someone that has been recommended through CC as they have had "experience" with the tour guides.

Pros and cons for both. I dislike the crowds in port but if I had to choose between San Juan and Grand Turk, I prefer San Juan. Having two rooms side by side would be a plus. Whatever you decide it will be a wonderful trip.

The only other Princess ship we have been on is the Emerald in March and loved it! Unfortunately booked my December cruise late and the Crown's interiors were fully booked! So we are ending up on the Ruby just prior to dry docking......which have heard the horror stories......but have vacation time booked and we are taking our 3 kids ......oldest as part of his graduation present! Hoping for the best..... as far as the pre-dry dock cruise, so nice to hear good things about her in general!

Jerry and I agree with everyone, we believe you will enjoy the "Ruby" over the "Grand" mainly due to the ports (Grand Turk vs San Juan)! Although we are booked on the Grand this Jan 21st (Back to Back) we love the Ruby. We will be leaving on the Ruby this Oct for a T/A from Venice to Fort Lauderdale! I will be happy to send you a couple of Princess Patters or supply any other info you might want when we return Oct 6th!

Jim

Thanks to everyone who posted...it obviously seems the Ruby is the way to go! As much as I wanted to see San Juan, I'll have to save that for another time. The crowds in port is a deal clencher, plus the fact that everyone on here seemed to unanimously choose the Ruby!

BTW, Retiredandlovingit...would love to see some of the Princess Patter when you get back. Thanks a bunch! :)

Thanks to everyone who posted...it obviously seems the Ruby is the way to go! As much as I wanted to see San Juan, I'll have to save that for another time. The crowds in port is a deal clencher, plus the fact that everyone on here seemed to unanimously choose the Ruby!

BTW, Retiredandlovingit...would love to see some of the Princess Patter when you get back. Thanks a bunch! :)

Send us your address and we will mail you at least a couple after we return in Nov. Also if there are any areas of special interest, I could take a picture of for you just let me know. Always glad to help out fellow CC'ers. We should be home by the 8th. (toddjim at roadrunner dot com) :p

236981456_JimJerryBlackWhite.jpg.6ff4b6c42c3253b31a53a02aa7049208.jpg

That is so sweet of you for offering...really don't want to burden you (especially on vacation)! The only request I have is if you could see if there's a splash pool for kids on the Ruby. I saw that the Grand added one, but can't seem to find any pics for one on the Ruby :(

Princess says there's something called the "Chill Out" Splash pool on the sports deck I believe, but can't seem to find any pictures of what it's like and what age it's geared toward :confused:

That is so sweet of you for offering...really don't want to burden you (especially on vacation)! The only request I have is if you could see if there's a splash pool for kids on the Ruby. I saw that the Grand added one, but can't seem to find any pics for one on the Ruby :(

Princess says there's something called the "Chill Out" Splash pool on the sports deck I believe, but can't seem to find any pictures of what it's like and what age it's geared toward :confused:

We will check it out for you and take a few pictures.:D

Jim

I'm booking the Ruby Jan 29th sailing this weekend. I've never cruised Princess and the reason I'm choosing this ship and line at that particular time is because I prefer to pass on San Juan. We've been there, and while I'm always up for new experiences I don't feel a need to go back. We did a city tour and we walked up to the forts and did some shopping. It wasn't terrible.... but I'm more a beach person and never having been to Grand Turk before, I'd like to try something new!

I'm glad all ur responses said Ruby Princess as I no doubt would've been agonizing if it'd gone the other way!

Archived