Checking in at the Newark airport

cruz chic

I have a flight that leaves at 5:50 pm after my Eurodam cruise. I was going to do a shorex with HAL but the only one they have is a sightseeing tour that doesn't stop anywere. Will I be able to chek into the airport several hours before my flight? They don't seem to allow that in Fort Lauderdale so I'm wondering if that is common at other airports. Thanks for any help.

Newark has three terminals and as far as I know check-in is airline dependent not airport dependent. If you are flying Continental you should not have a problem since they handle about 80% of the traffic out of Newark and terminal C, the main Continental terminal, is huge and covers most of their domestic routs and all of their international routes. If you hold off de-boarding until 9:00 AM you could expect to be over at Newark by 10:30 AM taking a taxi (generous amount of time). If you can't check in you will have a problem since there are no services in terminal C before going through security. If you are flying out of terminal A or B things might be different.

I'm going Westjet. Looks like I should be booking a tour to nowhere to burn up some time. Thanks for the infomation. I'm going to try and find out which terminal I'm leaving from.

Hope this helps:

Westjet departs out of Terminal A, Newark/Liberty International Airport.

Bob

Be sure and give yourself enough time to navigate through the Newark airport. My daughter used to live in Hoboken and we used that airport. It's super busy, security is really tight (one of flights flew out of there on 9-11) and our last trip, were in the process of getting into the car/limo that was taking us to our hotel and the police 'inspected' the drivers papers only to discover his insurance was lapsed. We were told to 'find another driver'. Yea, right. Newark also has the worse record for cancellations, late arrivals and departures and whate er else you can think of.

The excursion is a good idea and they will get you there in plenty of time. I use EWR all the time, giving myself 2 hours. I always end up sitting at the gate for 1.5 hours! Terminal A has the worst amenities so if possible find food somewhere else.

There has to be an elevator,doesn't there? I can't handle 2 piece of luggage on an escalator. Now I'm freaking out.

Calm down and take this one step at a time. Of course there must be an elevator someplace. There are wheelchair passengers who can't take the escalator. Sometimes it's a matter of finding it; they can be well-hidden unless you're specifically looking for them.

Many times it is out of the way, and a longer walk.

Calm down and take this one step at a time. Of course there must be an elevator someplace. There are wheelchair passengers who can't take the escalator. Sometimes it's a matter of finding it; they can be well-hidden unless you're specifically looking for them.

Many times it is out of the way, and a longer walk.

That's what I'm thinking a well. How would handicapped people deal with this. Just getting totally stressed about my trip. I need to chill out. Thanks for the reminder.

There are elevators but like everyone else said food choices are terrible. You can stop at one of the many deli or to go food places on your way to airport. You will not have a problem bring food through security-just remember no drinks. I would also pack all food in a seperate bag for inspection. Water is about $3 a bottle, but there are many fountains available if you bring an empty water bottle. Just have the bottle available for inspection. Here is a link that will give you an idea of what is available in terminals

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-shops-restaurants-services.html

There are elevators but like everyone else said food choices are terrible. You can stop at one of the many deli or to go food places on your way to airport. You will not have a problem bring food through security-just remember no drinks. I would also pack all food in a seperate bag for inspection. Water is about $3 a bottle, but there are many fountains available if you bring an empty water bottle. Just have the bottle available for inspection. Here is a link that will give you an idea of what is available in terminals

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-shops-restaurants-services.html

One caution about the list of services. Terminals A and B have separate "arms" leading out to gates. I don't know how Terminal A is, but when we flew Virgin Atlantic out of Terminal B, I had checked the services website, and saw that there were places to eat before we left. The nice checkin agent for VA told us that if we wanted something to eat, we should use the food court before security. I said that we were planning to eat at the restaurant after security, and she told us that it's in a separate arm of the terminal, not accessible from VA's gates. We followed her suggestion, and sure enough, she was right. We never saw that restaurant. The food court wasn't great, but it was better than nothing.

There is no need to stress it, Newark is a PIA, but you just need to allow a lot of time. Terminal A usually takes me less time to go through security than Terminal C, but as long as you leave yourself two hours (just to be on the very safe side) and be patient, you will not have a problem.

There are elevators, if you don't see the signs, just ask any of the airport employees. I think they all took customer service classes recently because my last two times there everyone (including the TSA) was amazingly cheerful and helpful.

Time will certainly be on my side. I'm going to need to bring some food in my carry on as I'll be getting off the ship so it might be difficult to have anything else. Knowing how much weight I usually gain on a cruise I think I can live off the fat of the land for quite a while:D. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Archived